Port Jackson And Blind Sharks

Victor78

Hi All

Ive been catching heaps of bottom dewelling sharks off late bottom fishing the rocks and been throwing them back in and I was just wondering is it legal to keep Port Jackson and Blind Sharks to take home to eat???

Do they have a size limit and bag limit on them if they are legal to keep????

There is nothing on the Fisheries website about Port Jacksons being protected in NSW or in their Saltwater fishing guide for 2010 but I'd suggest chasing it up with them just to be sure

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/regulations/sw/sw-bag-and-size

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/species-protection/conservation/what-current

That said I'd just chuck them back myself because I find them too damn cute to kill :P

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that Blind Sharks can be kept but I'm not 100% sure

there realy not worth the effort to clean. a big shovel nose has a bit off meat on them but to kill one and skin itwill take you 20 min.and the

meat you get is not worth killing one for

cheers gary

I agree with Brickman here.

They are not illegal but most deffinately not worth it. My mate got a port jackson about 1.3 m long and about 15kg kilo's in weight. He opted to gaff it and we tried to clean it up and get the meat. I felt sick doing it as we got about 2-3kg of usable meat of it! I swore never to kill one again. EVER!

To this day i haven't and also agree that a blind shark is also probably better of being let go. However its your call, if its legal and you want to give it a go, go for it and let us know how they go.

You never know those blind sharks might be top notch. P.J's though, really not worth it at all.

icant see them as protected i remember their "eggs" were protected or somthing or other but i cant see them as protected on DPI's website nor on any charts i have but they are ugly anyway release them i reckon there is much better eating fish out there than a port jackson

I wondered the same thing about the port jacksons.. After much searching on the net and talking to other raiders with no one really sure... i asked the next DPI officer i ran into..

i cant remember if there was a size or bag limit? BUT, They are NOT protected and you can keep them..I have never realy caught a small one so I never paid much attention to the length..

Hi All

Ive been catching heaps of bottom dewelling sharks off late bottom fishing the rocks and been throwing them back in and I was just wondering is it legal to keep Port Jackson and Blind Sharks to take home to eat???

Do they have a size limit and bag limit on them if they are legal to keep????

Hi all

I spoke to Fisheries today and they said its perfectly legal to keep Port Jackson Sharks and Blind Sharks to eat its only the Wobbygong Shark that is pretected.

Next time i come up empty on the Snapper of the rocks ill be taking 1 of this critters home and i hope they taste as good as Banjo Sharks and Shovel nose Sharks do