Upgrading Dogfight Spool To Carbontex

sulla

Hi i am hopeless and a total amateur in regards to diy reel maintance thought i would start with something which might be a bit easy which i been wanting to get done.

I have a saltiga dogfight which i want to upgrade the drag washers to carbontex it seem on principal quite easy but has anybody done this and are

there any pitfalls i have to be careful off. Any advice would be good have seen a u tube video for a spheros upgrade but cant seem to find video or step by step for any of the saltiga's

cheers

Get in touch with www.smoothdrag.com Sulla.

There are definitely potential pitfalls when upgrading the drags of reels like Saltigas... mainly that their tolerances are very fine so the overall height of your drag stack needs to be identical before and after the upgrade.

Dawn at Smooth Drag puts sets together for some saltigas where she mixes and matches washers to get the exact height.

Cheers, Slinky

HI Mate

Slinlky has hit it on the head, the pit fall for upgrading the drag washer in the Saltiga to carbontex is that the carbontex washer does not last no where near as long as the original drag washer. However what it lacks in that department makes up in smoothing out the drag especially with Saltiga’s where they experience drag spike and start up inertias. What I have found with my Saltiga EXP 6500 was that with the carbontex drag washer installed you really need to watch when you are dialing up the drag, as a small increment equates to huge amount of drag increased. Funny mistake to make, I was in Perth early this year smashing the sambos and I dialed the drag up a little and I was hanging on for dear life as a rampaging Sambo was trying its best to pull me over board, mate just laughed at me.

Cheers,

Sz1

thanks for the advice think i might be best just leave it to the tackle store. SZ1 thanks for the advice after its upgraded defiantly something to remember I do dial the drag up sometimes in certain circumstances, dont wont to find myself being drag in lol cheers mate