Leaders

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

I was just putting my gear away, and gave my line the once over. To say I was surprised is an understatement. My leader was frayed to buggery. I pulled against it and it let go at about 5 KG pressure. :1yikes: This only after 2 fish!!!!

In the heat of the moment, I didnt think to check my leader. But from now I will be more vigilant. The funny thing is, I don't recall that the fish actually against anything. :wacko:

Guest fishrunner

After every fish and also every now and then I run my leader bthrough my fingers and rerig if req'd!, don't want to lose a fish to poor terminals! :( .

cheers

I lost a fish up at Port Stephens that would have been a couple of kgs and my fish of the trip, but alas, a busted leader.... average fly casters like myself are prone to "windknots", that plus not changing leaders after every session have lost me numerous fish, you'd think I would learn, but just like the end of a fishing session the old saying, "just one more" can prove to be the losing of fish.

Flatties especially small ones are buggers for nicking leaders. I always load up the last foot or so after a flatty & test it. Even tiny spikeys around 10 cm can nick it :thumbdown:

:biggrin2: Its not normally a problem for me lately cause mostly the flatty spike is in my finger which protects my leader from damage :tease: