Port Hacking Fad 23Rd Mar

hookerbruce

Hi

Tuesday morning got ready for work went out the front door and the weather was just too good.

Went back inside and had a looked at the weather on Seabreeze site and decided to take the tinnie for a run.

Changed into the fishing clothes and packed the boat. Rang a mate gave him 30 min to get to the ramp. Then rang my wife who had already gone to work she was not as excited about fishing as me.

Filled up with fuel and got to the ramp and had the boat in the water at 8am lot later than normal.

Went to the live bait ground and it was thick with yackas but they were a little flighty, must have been the rat kings circling them. 15min and we had a good supply of live bait. Set the GPS for the fad and headed off.

Around the 100m mark there was a good current edge and temp jumpped from 23 to 24. Had a troll for nil result then headed east. After reading reports of the dollies being around fish traps better than the FADS we were scanning the horizon for anything at all in/on the water.

Then there was a bang and a clunk and the boat almost stopped. At first it didn't seem good as I had major motor repairs a month ago. But it was not the motor. the boat had hit a piece of floating wood and broken.

The wood had broken not the boat. It was a piece of 4x3 about 5 metres long now in two pieces.

Straight away we started the berley and threw in a couple of livvies, dollies appeared at the back of the boat

and we were on not big fish but there were masses and they were great fun. We had three drifts past the wood and managed 3 (65 to 75 cms)keepers out of about 25 fish. Then nature had its way a pod of dolphins came along and all hell broke loose with dollies and dolphins jumping in all directions. After this the fish were well and truly gone, managed a few small fish then decided to move on. We checked the gps and were still 10 klm from the fad (after drifting a couple of ks with the wood)and as it was 11:30 decided to head in.

So we didn't get to the FAD but we had a good morning.

While we were catching fish a boat running back in from out wide went past about 300 metres away and didn't even

cruise past to see what why we were fishing in the middle of nowhere. I always have a look just in case theres some action.

Bruce

Not bad going there Hookerbruce to find a floating fad like that, and getting some keeper dollies off it. Lucky you didn't damage your boat or motor when you hit the timber. Whats the chancers of hitting a log in the ocean,you dont do that everyday.

Cheers Mike