New Light Reel And Rod For Sp Fishing

chris268

Hey all,

I'm thinking of getting a new 1-3 or 2-4 kg rod for some SP fishing as well as either a 1000 or 2500 sized reel. At the moment i'm using a Shimano Catana 7ft 2pc 2-4 kg matched with a 2500 Shimano Sienna FD. On the reel i've got 6lb fireline and 10 lb Sufix Invisiline.

I've been reading up on the Berkley Dropshots and found a lot of good reviews. Would this be an upgrade compared to the rod i have now, or more of a step to the side? Also, what are the differences between the Berkley Dropshot IM6 and the Gen3? How would these compare to my Catana?

With the reel, i'm looking at a Shimano Sedona 1000. I've seen them for about $100 delivered. Would i be better off using a 1000 for a 1-3kg rod with maybe some 4lb braid?

I'm only planning to use this stuff to fish SP landbased for Bream, Flatties, whiting etc. I'm looking for an upgrade that won't cost too much. I'm open to other rods and reels also so please make a suggestion :)

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by chris268

Generally speaking, 1-3kg rod - 1000 reel; 2-4kg rod - 2500 reel.

This is not an exact science so go into the shop and mix and match and play around with the combos before you buy them. However, your current combo sounds fine for your current SP needs - any reason for getting another combo ? I would save up more and get something that costs a bit more so that it is a substantial upgrade to what you already have. Otherwise you will end up with two very similar combos.

First thing I would do is change down to 4lb or even 3lb fireline/crystal/stren as that would make a bit of difference to using 6lb. Once you've done that, you may be able to delay your 1-3 kg combo. Hope that helps.

DITTO to STYLO..

The two combo's seem very identical in terms of specification.. As STYLO mentioned, stick it out and save abit more and spend it on something you'll definitely value.

IMO i'd get either a sustain 2500 or stradic cI4 with either a Pflueger Asaro (1-4) or Shimano Jewel (1-4kg)

I've got the shimano jewel with the stradic c14.. i haven't tested it out yet, but it looks great :biggrin2:

STYLO: Can;t wait to give the 2 combo's a workout this weekend :thumbup:

thanks for the info. that's what i was afraid of; that the combo would be too similar to my one now. But it's okay, i'll just save up a bit more and get something that's more of an upgrade down the track. btw the jewel is a good rod :) played around with one of those recently.

no woz Chris - I am speaking from experience as I have a few similar combos and sometimes think why I didn't just save up for a gun combo ..

disturb3d... maybe you'll get spooled by a dollie tomorrow !

Would agree with above comments. Save up a bit or wait for sales to come around during the quieter winter months. That way you can spend more time doing research which is sometimes half the fun.

Look at the Daiwa Exceler or if you can stretch your budget, the Tierra in the 2000 size. Match that to a 1-3Kg stick and you'll be pretty happy. Also suggest going to 7'6" rod to get extra casting distance if you're land based with 3-4lb braid also to get the extra casting distance.

If you're itching for something different in the interim, change the braid down from 6lb - you'll be amazed at the difference it will make to your casting distance and lure sink/drop rate.

grrrrrrrr have the Shimano Symetry at 30% off, well that was on thursday night I saw. So it comes down from $185 to $130. They had 4000, 2500 and 1000 sized reels.

Theyre not a bad little reel.

Wow you cant even mention another brand.

Edited by g7g7

• 4 weeks later...

ended up with a bit of an upgrade...

ordered in 7ft 2pc 2-4kg trion and was told it was ready to be picked up. went to the store and was told they had to send it back as they were sent thr wrong one. instead i scored a trion tournament bream 2pc for the same price. :)

also picked up a saros 2500 and some 4lb fins to use on one of the spools :)

hoping to test it out this weekend

ended up with a bit of an upgrade...

ordered in 7ft 2pc 2-4kg trion and was told it was ready to be picked up. went to the store and was told they had to send it back as they were sent thr wrong one. instead i scored a trion tournament bream 2pc for the same price. :)

also picked up a saros 2500 and some 4lb fins to use on one of the spools :)

hoping to test it out this weekend

Nice pickup mate.. i've got the same trion rod (you were supposed to get)...

Funnily enough, you've got the same combo as STYLO... (i.e. Trion Tournament / Saros 2500). Out of curiosity, how much did you pick it up for?