27Meg, Vhf Or Both

Dhutchy

Hi Raiders, after wondering which was more appropriate, the 27meg or VHF, I bought a GME GX300 Marine Radio as I only ever go close off shore or enclosed waters. I reckon a few raiders might interested in the broad view, so here is the question.

Marine Radios

27meg, VHF, or both

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

Hi Raiders, after wondering which was more appropriate, the 27meg or VHF, I bought a GME GX300 Marine Radio as I only ever go close off shore or enclosed waters. I reckon a few raiders might interested in the broad view, so here is the question.

Marine Radios

27meg, VHF, or both

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

Hey Mate,

I believe 27meg is fine for close and inshore. but by law you need a VHF when going 2 miles out (which isn't far at all)

I have just the VHF.

have a mate with both, he likes to keep on 27meg to hear whats on the chew and VHF for coastguard updates.

wondering which was more appropriate

This has kinda been covered before. See:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=24004&st=0&p=192913&hl=radio&fromsearch=1entry192913

It will depend a bit on what area you go boating in. In various parts of NSW/AUST the locals might have a certain preference for 27meg or VHF. Dhutchy doesnt say in his profile what area he is from.

In Sydney there is a few VHF marine repeaters installed:

Ch 80 near Newcastle (Sugarloaf)

Ch 21 at Killcare

Ch 22 at North Head

Ch 81 at Beacon Hill

Ch 82 near Wollongong (Maddens Plains which is high ground near Bulli)

Combine this with remote transmitter sites that are employed by some of the radio bases and VHF gives you very good coverage in between Swansea and Wollongong.

by law you need a VHF when going 2 miles out

I dont beleive this is true. Ive never seen this published anywhere ?

(not aiming to have a dig at anyone, simply dont like seeing misleading information published)

There is absolutley no doubt both is best for safety. Weekdays there are less boats around so there is less chance of another boat hearing your emergency call if you happen to be in a radio black spot.

I run both 27meg and VHF marine. I usually fish from Terrigal to Longreef and up to 15miles offshore and normally use VHF to log in.

My opinion is that 27meg is just adaquate if your going a max 3-4 miles offshore in Sydney.

cheers

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

Hey FishingRod and Hamuwaja, thanks for your replies...I reckon that going for both is probably the best option...but for me that will have to wait until a few more sheckles become available..

Rgds

Dhutchy

It isn't just about catching fish, but it helps

Edited by Dhutchy

Hi fellas,

All it says here http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safetyequip_tables.html is "marine radio". Can someone point us to some clarification on where it says you need VHF for more than 2 miles offshore?

Well, i kind of found it myself on this page http://www.marinerescuensw.com.au/index.php/marine-radio-network/ where it states "27 MHz

27 MHz is a common frequency band used by recreational boaters, however as the cost of VHF radios is now becoming more affordable and they provide better communications, 27 MHz radios are becoming less popular than they once were. A 27 MHz radio is generally suitable for use in enclosed waters and provides a range usually limited to line-of-sight. If you enjoy offshore boating then a VHF radio is recommended.

27 MHz radios allow ship-to-ship communication and ship-to-shore communication with the volunteer marine rescue services. 27 MHz radios are capable of transmitting distress signals, receiving weather forecasts and marine safety information provided that the vessel is within range of the volunteer services."

So there you have it, VHF is recommended, not mandatory.