Sydney To Lake Monduran- Wrap Up

Gorms

Well the trip is all wrapped up for this year. Unfortunately we only got to fish a total of 6 days out of a possible 16 due to 30 knott winds and the cyclone that hit the QLD coast didn't help either.

We didn't get to fish Forster, Moreton Bay or the Gold Coast which was a shame.

The places we did get to fish were South West Rocks, Lake Monduran and Coffs Harbour on the way home.

We managed a few fish along the way  but not the Barra we were after. I roughly estimated casting 4500 times over the time we fished Monduran for not a bite, sniff, Inquiry, boof, anything. I knew full well it might have been the case heading there but I'm still better off for having visited the area.

Hurt a bit when a guy on a yack caught 2 barra in the main basin whilst talking on his hand free kit. The 3 of us on my boat hadn't said a word to eachother for 3 hours trying to be quiet in stealth mode. He must have been doing something right.

I'll be back up there in November for another crack and hopefully not another Monduran Duck Egg.

SWR is as awesome as people say, we were able to jig up some Kings and Tuna on the knife jigs, got my first Sambo at Coffs which nice. Also got busted off a King which may have been close to the 15kg they are getting at the moment up there.

I'll definately be back to SWR.

Thanks again to those who offered information and their time before we left. Hopefully i can help out in the future to those travelling to the areas we visited.

Heres some footage and photos of the trip. It's my first time editing anything so bare with me.

Thanks again.

Dave

Bad luck on not getting a barra, Dave, but, you had some fun & found some terrific spots to fish along the way tho!!

....Hurt a bit when a guy on a yack caught 2 barra in the main basin whilst talking on his hand free kit....

Doesn't it rot your socks when the undeserving get the prize!!

Ne'er mind - there is always next year!! You'll be baaaaaack!!!

cheers

Roberta

monduran is a hard one to crack. i found it most productive at night on the piont of bird bay or trolling the main harbour with bombers. night time seemed to produce bigger fish as well. Next time you go up give awoonga a crack as well !!!! also November is the best time so you should be able to catch one when you go.

Thanks very much everyone.

I like the idea of video taping fishing trips. I'll look to do it everytime i go out.

The tripod i have is awesome, just hit record and forget about it.

Keep the videos coming Gorms :thumbup: I watched your road trip video several times having noticed we both have the same high sided Savage Hull except my Savage is the 4.6 side console version which I've also fitted out with a Motorguide, an 82lb which I'm yet to learn how to use.

I also enjoyed the trick shot on the pool table in your other video. Brings back a bit of nostaglia for me as back in the early nineties I was in the game and played in pro am snooker tournaments in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne and must say I often played many a trick shot hoping to get out of trouble especially in practice at the Australia professional championships at the Bentleigh Club in Melbourne 15 years ago now against a 17 year old visitor from Scotland by the name of John Higgins who must have picked up something from my failed trick shots :D as John Higgins not only beat the master, the Englishman pot black winner Willy Thorne in the final of the Australian championships but he also finished up winning the world snooker championships at the Crucible in England several times since and is still the current world champion.

Not sure if you are into snooker mate, but those years were the good years and being in the game, I got to know the overseas players well even night clubbed all night in Melbourne with Willy Thorne who now a commentator at the Crucible and I hope to catch up with him again one day.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

By the way Gorms if you're ever interested in fishing Awonga for burrumundi, a relative of mine has a six bedroom place in Hervey Bay and happened to call me the other night and gave me the ok to bring a couple of good types of blokes up there with me whenever my back problems allow and as far as fishing Awonga is concerned my brother in laws mate next door would be as good as having a pro with you :thumbup:

Hey Dave,

Bad Luck on the fishing front mate. But the boat looked awesome on the lake. Might have to invest in some outriggers for mine aswell. Did you have to strengthen the Gunnels to stop them flexing.

Catch you later

Nath

Keep the videos coming Gorms :thumbup: I watched your road trip video several times having noticed we both have the same high sided Savage Hull except my Savage is the 4.6 side console version which I've also fitted out with a Motorguide, an 82lb which I'm yet to learn how to use.

I also enjoyed the trick shot on the pool table in your other video. Brings back a bit of nostaglia for me as back in the early nineties I was in the game and played in pro am snooker tournaments in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne and must say I often played many a trick shot hoping to get out of trouble especially in practice at the Australia professional championships at the Bentleigh Club in Melbourne 15 years ago now against a 17 year old visitor from Scotland by the name of John Higgins who must have picked up something from my failed trick shots :D as John Higgins not only beat the master, the Englishman pot black winner Willy Thorne in the final of the Australian championships but he also finished up winning the world snooker championships at the Crucible in England several times since and is still the current world champion.

Not sure if you are into snooker mate, but those years were the good years and being in the game, I got to know the overseas players well even night clubbed all night in Melbourne with Willy Thorne who now a commentator at the Crucible and I hope to catch up with him again one day.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

By the way Gorms if you're ever interested in fishing Awonga for burrumundi, a relative of mine has a six bedroom place in Hervey Bay and happened to call me the other night and gave me the ok to bring a couple of good types of blokes up there with me whenever my back problems allow and as far as fishing Awonga is concerned my brother in laws mate next door would be as good as having a pro with you :thumbup:

Mate thats a lovely offer. Ill definately be up for anopther trip. The bloke i was talking with up in Gin Gin was saying the fishing in Harvey bay is red hot also and that my outriggers will come in handy.

The only thing is ill need to upgrade my car before then. Im guessing a 3500km trip will be the breaking point for my old VS.

Talking of snooker, love watching it, just cant play it. My stroke is not mechanical enough for the precision needed for snooker so ive always played 8 and 9 ball on USA bar tables. Still a hard game, just allowes your swing to be a bit looser. Something worth watching is Efren Reyes vs Earl strickland. Possibly the best shot ive ever seen. Snookers himself playing safe and plays this shot to get out.

Do love watching snooker though. Must have watched this one a hundred times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btmB-p_0QFg.

back to fishing, let me know the details of what you out together for Awoonga or if you wanna fish Sydney at some stage. Hopefully there is a Barra in that Awoonga, as im sure there were none in Monduran!

Cheers

Dave.

Hey Dave,

Bad Luck on the fishing front mate. But the boat looked awesome on the lake. Might have to invest in some outriggers for mine aswell. Did you have to strengthen the Gunnels to stop them flexing.

Catch you later

Nath

Yeah the outrigger were a great addition. When i got the 6 new rod Holders from Gary at Seriously Stainless, they are fitted with a strengthening bracket underneath. This is more than enough needed to hold the outriggers in.

I think i remember you saying you got some from Gary already so youd be ready to go. he makes the outrigger bases to suit so they lock in.

Wouldnt mind talking to him about getting some U shaped brackets on each side to store the outiggers when they are not in use and get them off the floor and under the gunnels.

My next aim is to catch something using them. Maybe the dollies at FADS, or a Marlin down in Bermi. Just need to make sure ive got some good guys on board when i go so i can clear 3 rods.

Cheers

Dave