Kurnell Easter Friday

pmak

A few days ago, my darling wife asks "Are you doing anything on Easter Friday?"

Damn, I was hoping to go fishing . Not wanting to put fishing first, I replied, "Nothing planned yet, do you want to do something together dear?".

"I've got to go to Church in the morning but I would like to have fish for dinner. Can you go fishing?" she said. I could'nt believe my ears!

Friday rolls up and the forecast is for a gusty southerly. Launched at Kurnell at first light with the intention of chasing some trevally. Conditions were already windy very early on and became terrible as the sun rose. Despite the conditions, I managed one good bream, a new PB :thumbup: at 40cm taken on a Gulp 2" jigging grub slow rolled over the weeds outside the mouth of Quibray Bay.

post-3388-127020418337_thumb.jpg

Other than a pike, no trevally, a lost hard bodied lure (possibly to another pike or tailor), pinkies and getting blown all over the place, we called it quits at mid day. I got my kids to go for a swim as I pulled the boat out and cleaned my catch. With the kids enjoying themselves at the beach, I still had some time up my hands. Out comes a rod for some good old land based fishing. Using the wind to my advantage, I was able to launch casts far out from the beach. Got some nibbles but nothing substantial stuck.

I finally made my way over to the end of the groyne closest to the boat ramp and pulled a good sized flathead out from the depths on a Berkley 2" power grub in bloodworm (meant for bream). Had to call for the net as I only had 3lb Fireline and 6lb leader. No. 1 son obliged and ran to the boat and clambered over all the rocks to get the net to me.

post-3388-127020531156_thumb.jpg

She measured exactly 60cm, unlucky for her as we normally release flathead above 60cm. My wife was so happy when I called to tell her she was going to have fish for dinner. We invited my in-laws over and had the flathead for dinner cooked in a Malaysian style spicy sauce. The bream is destined for a sour soup on Sunday prepared by my mother in law.

I'm not a religious person but as I sit at my study table posting this up in this Easter period, I recognise that there are many things I am thankful for.

Hope you all have a safe and happy Easter ...

Seems you enjoyed youselves and caught some nice fish in trying condition pmak...congratulations. Plus you did exactly as the wife asked.... mate you should be in the good books for a while!!! :thumbup: Thats something else to thankfull for.

Happy easter,

Smitty...

A couple of nice fish there mate,I fished the same area on saturday managed only 2 flathead one 59cm and the other 55cm but i was useing bigger lures 5'gulp jerk shads,next time I will try some 2'lures and see if the bream will play

Cheers Gary