Late Arvo Whiting

Langa

Hi all I went after some Whiting on Thursday arvo wondering if they may have gone off considering the mid week rain and drop in temp.

As I waded out I was pleased to see the water temp was still OK even if the air was cooler.

The result of the 1 hour session was 3 nice fish and 1 dropped, I even got 1 on a pencil which is rare for me.

The fish caught on the pencil took 2 hits at it before hooking up on the third, something I have not experienced with Whiting.

Went back the next day (Good Friday) with identical conditions and didnt get a hit, thats fishing!

Cheers Langa

post-6643-127029973061_thumb.jpg

post-6643-127029976435_thumb.jpg

post-6643-127029979163_thumb.jpg

Hi Langer - yes, I think they are slowing down a bit, but, they still have to eat & don't leave the system, so don't give up yet!!

...The fish caught on the pencil took 2 hits at it before hooking up on the third, something I have not experienced with Whiting.....

hehe that is why I use pencils more than poppers these days!! I had a stack of hits today & hooked up a very nice tailor (big head shakes) but it spat the hook as it got near to the yak! :( I am assuming the numerous hits/misses were from bream - who knows, could have been more tailor, I guess!

I am going to persevere with pencils throughout winter to see if the fish react any time (as against poppers virtually going 'non existent' from about now, or May!)

Last year, i was catching mullet on pencils at this time of year too!! :1yikes: Go figure!!!

Good luck

Roberta

Langa,

Those are great sized whiting you got! Who knows how long the topwater bite will last what with global warming and all that. Were you after whiting specifically? Did you get some bream as well?

Edited by pmak

Hi pmak, I was fishing for Whiting using a fast, constant retrieve, Whiting is all I catch using this technique and the odd Tailor. I have only caught 1 Bream on the flats I fish, I don't know if the're not there or if its my technique, I've tried using other retrieves but the Whiting go off the bite so I speed up again (when your on a good thing). I would like to target Bream but dont seem to have much success, I have just started using pencils and have been catching EPs at night in a different spot, so maybe the change in venue, lure and retrieve will bring success.

Cheers, Langa

Hi Langa,

I've been getting quite a few bream and whiting over summer on the pencils and poppers although the action is fading now its getting cooler. I don't live too far from you. If you want to get together for a wading session let me know.

Cheers,

Jeff