Botany Kingfish, Arpril 3Rd Viva La Seriola

quangvo1989

Happy Easter Raiders, hope you are all having a great times with friends and families

Yesterday trip turned out to be our best kingfish sessions so far this year, simply because everything went according to plan, there was not too much boat traffic around, no undersized rats and all new gears are christened :biggrin2: . Me and my uncle joined a friend at the foreshore boat ramp just before 6am, although it was sprinkling a bit, I had a good feeling about the day as it would be mostly overcast and the late high tide around 12 means we have plenty of time to gather some yakkas and possibly squids to fish the run in tide.

Straight to the bare island area we went, the swells gave us quite a ride in the dark. The day was looking even better when we got 3 nice squids in a n hour, I am getting some smaller so-called micro jigs later as twice I saw the little buggers grab my jig in the shallow weed bed and jig barbs could not touch them as they keep grabbing the head of the jig and release it on the slightest pressure you put on the line.

I wanna say thank you to Aero for his 1.23m King post as it encouraged to the drift around finding bait schools in instead of fishing from anchor most of the time like usual. The first fish was caught downrigging the whole live squid on 2 hook rig near Molineaux Point, the second squids went down and got smashed but no hookup, we were all felling robbed. With only one left we cut it into strips and downrigged the head, my uncle and his friend subsequently pulled in 2 fish on squid strip, all 3 fish were better than average in Botany Bay and went 70ish.

When the bite slowed down we fished The Sticks for a 3 trevs, 2 breams and as always the little snappers are everywhere you go.

1 hour before high tide we had a full tank of yakkas and tried our luck at Molineaux Point again, this time at anchor. The southerly wind got stronger and it was a little choppy but our sessions down in Jervis Bay trained us well. When fishing JB I learned not to use anything less then 80lb for leader and even 40lb line seems too thin now. However being the only one kingie-less on the boat was :1badmood: so I went with 30lb flourocarbon, first yakka down and he went limb in 10', I pin another one on and dropped it down, half way to the bottom suddenly the line went off the spool much faster, I gave it 2 seconds then closed the bail arm.Strike! and I'm on, after 3,4 runs at medium drag and some additional thumb pressure the fish went into the net, 80cm and fat at 4.3 kg, high-fives all round :thumbup: and I sent the photo to a mate who could not go. We stayed for another hour with no bites and decided to go home for a feast with friends later in the evening.

med_gallery_8486_518_44492.jpg

The plastic was just happened to be at the right spot on the photo, it was actually pinned to guide of the rod behind the fish. The king turned out to be a female with 2 small roe sacks and a gut cavity full of fat, I found a partly digested yakka and 8cm snapper in its stomach. Guess we have another choice of live bait now :P

Final tally: 4 kings, 3 trevs, 2 breams anf half a bucket of yakkas too large for bait. To sum up if you have had trouble finding the fish, try catching your own fresh bait, look for bait fish on the sounder and you success rate will definitely improved.

post-8486-127036687385_thumb.jpg

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

It sure was hornets, especially when you don't have to be waiting in a long line back at the boat ramp.

Monday conditions is looking great, I hope you guys will get into some big fish, Nathan. Screaming drags ans sore arms guys!

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by QVCiticaDSV

Ryan,

Well done on getting out and finding a few fish. It's good ot hear they are still around in reasonable numbers. Just make sure you don't use small snapper for livies. Although you are using it for live bait, it still must be of legal length.

Andrew

lol, thanks for reminding about the regs Andrew. I was just joking about that and you are the only who noticed.

The fish are there and I will be out again during the week, I hope you will have time for a session soon despite all the work.

Regards,

Ryan

Thanks everyone for the positive feed-backs.

Great stuff had no luck today too much swell to bother outside.

Can you tell me where is the location that is refered to as the sticks?

:1fishing1:

I think this is a very fine description of the so-called "the sticks" area by woodchOp from another thread:

woodch0p

* BREAM

* PipPipPipPip

* Add as Friend

* PM this member

* Group: MEMBERS

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

The sticks are about 80m give or take west of The drums where The oil tankers pull up. There are 6 red marker poles There (four in a square formation and 2 offset), which is where it gets its name. Can't miss them. Position yourself about half way between The drums and The sticks on a run in tide and you should get some pretty decent results.

Regards

Daniel

Thanks everyone for the positive feed-backs.

I think this is a very fine description of the so-called "the sticks" area by woodchOp from another thread:

woodch0p

* BREAM

* PipPipPipPip

* Add as Friend

* PM this member

* Group: MEMBERS

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

The sticks are about 80m give or take west of The drums where The oil tankers pull up. There are 6 red marker poles There (four in a square formation and 2 offset), which is where it gets its name. Can't miss them. Position yourself about half way between The drums and The sticks on a run in tide and you should get some pretty decent results.

Regards

Daniel

Thanks Daniel, will give it a bash may see you on the water (Quinnie 540 Coastrunner jbs2) , take care. :1fishing1: