Gold Coast 17th

Trouble

Yesterday morning we where picked up nice an early from our hotel from the fishing charters mini bus with not much enthusiasm from dad and I as we had a few beers the night before and the wind was allready from the SE..

As we got down to the Marina we where greeted by an enthusiatic deckie who was telling us how there where plenty pelagics about and the catch rate would be high, my walking speed doubled as soon as the sentence had barely finished and i was on the boat before he knew it..

As the winds where up and about 10-15kms the conditions where not favourable for offshore fishing so we decided to head out around 10km to a inshore reef..

Using double hook rigs the punters on board droped to the bottom(40m) and all proceeded to bring up fish- trevally,trag jew, small snapper and plenty of good size tailor..all i could catch was a few horse yellowtail...

The skipper took the horse yakka off me quick smart and through it out the back under a balloon and before we knew it got smacked by speedy little mac tuna and a young fella had a bit of fun with the fish before being landed..

Another horse yakka was put out the back in the burley trail and this time i was given the rod and was onto a another mac t but a bit bigger then the last..gave me a bit of curry but wasnt the challenge i was looking for.. :1naughty:

We where out of yakkas so we bottom bounced for a while and the punters came through with the goods and we filled the tank with 4 or so big yellowtail..Sent 2 out the back under balloons again..one shallow and one deeper...Things where getting quite until all hell broke loose and the rod and reel went nuts..The skipper jumped up and let the fish run for a few seconds to then pull back hard on the rod and let the hooks set in...and then fight went a little something like zzzzzzzzzzzz x10..lol

The rod was then passed to a yound japenese fella who was quite scared to hold the rod so i put my hand up and was given it..I couldnt believe the rate of which the line was coming off :1yikes: the thought of gaining line didnt come into mind until 30 seconds passed..The fish did heaps of deep diving and we had to chase it around the boat and the rod was being passed around like a hot potato as the fish circled the boat, the worst was feared when the line got caught on the barnicle prone burley box but was shortley pulled off as the fish went to the horizon for one more run...It was then we saw what was on the end " a f#@$ big mackeral" came from the skippers mouth, after that remark from him he decided to take a dig at the fish with the gaff and missed :1yikes: but then to redeam himself with the next shot..The fish was brought on board and it was smiles and high fives allround...

We tried our luck with a few more livies under balloons and one livie on the bottom which dad did tug of war with a submarine but could not stop the fish..it was called for a shark or big cobe..

The livie under the balloon was taken aswell and was faught for around 5mins but only to be bitten off metres from the boat..

The mackeral bottomed out the 20kg scales and was estimated to be around 23-25kg

Was caught on 15kg threadline penn and 50 lb mono trace :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

Cheers,

Rob :biggrin2:

post-76-1113801442_thumb.jpg

post-76-1113807594_thumb.jpg

Great spanish mack Rob!

Try having a fish off 1770/Bustard Head (near Bunderberg) where there's plenty of 20+kg fish about when it's mack season!! :thumbup:

Awesome fun fish aren't they :1clap:

I take it you didn't manage to get out with Mono because he was fully booked. :(

At least you managed a few fish in what has been very ordinary weather of late, and that's being kind! :1yikes::badair:

Well done,

Herby