Port Hacking Report Sat 3-4-2010- Main River- Midnight Session- Landbased-

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders This is a report of a landbased session in the main river in the Hacking that I was meant to take part in on Saturday night, however but due to a bout of severe back pain I finished up not being able to go with my best friend George aka Cungee George and a mutual friend of ours Leonidas to have a night session after the family get together for the Greek Easter.

Long story short, although there's been a lot of small fish in general around late at night in the Hacking, most of the run in tide hadn't been fishing well at all for the larger bream that come in and school up in autumn as they do in places like the Vines in the Hawkesbury opposite the wharf at Milson Island where the breeding size schools are renowned to congregate in good numbers over quite a few months depending on what has appeared to be the niceness of the autumn and the mildness of the finer winters... the presence or lack of presence of the larger bream coming in and schooling up to breed usually denotes what the general fishing over autumn is going to be like in a particular year. It's quite interesting and although both bream and jewfish are multi seasonal in their breeding habits depending on conditions in the particular area, when the bream fishermen did well at the vines the jew fishermen also did well especially as the run in tide first starts to pick up in the upriver sections and the downriver sections fish well over both tides and you'd be likely to strike a school or a breakaway pack marking time over the sand as the tides pick up, particularly where the rocks meet the sand, behind reefs and hovering behind both bridges in accordance with the direction and the sweep of the tide. Anyway George had fished quite a few run in tide nights in the Hacking recently, and had bream rods out into water that tapered into depth and fished with nippers a short distance away from his jewfish rods, but apart from catching a variety of undersize fish George had had little success on either bream or jewfish after fishing most of the run in tide and an hour or so into the run out tide even though the evenings looked quite good. Anyway it was decided that starting off late and fishing all the way thru the run out tide might be a better option this time.

Photo courtesy of my good friend Steve aka Roosterman. Thanks Steve!

The bream ranged from 27cms to 38cms Leon had taken a fair few bream home earlier that were around 30cms or so.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-829-127044365872_thumb.jpg