Sydney Fishing

KeiraJade

Hi All :)

My names Keira and I'm a 20y.o who has just began to be passionate about fishing.

I am currently looking for any tips whatsoever to improve my skills and need new locations to fish at!!!

Looking forward to any advice given.

K.

Hi Keira , If you could tell what kind of fishing and where I am sure someone here will be able to help

Ray

Hi Ray,

To give a rough idea I have previously been fishing on the Georges river (via boat), and since I am from the mountains I am not too worried about having to travel a long distance as I am pretty far from anything anyway.

Also tried fishing off the river up at Stuarts Point on the coast but definately prefer boat fishing so far.

At this stage I'm not looking for anything too full on - the Bream, Whiting, and Flatheads I've been catching so far has been fun enough :)

Hey Keira,

If you have a boat then Botany is a top place to fish, the ramp can get pretty packed on weekends though.

Id suggest keeping an eye on the Fishing Report section of this forum to check out whats being caught and where abouts, that can give you a good idea of whats around. :)

Cheers,

Scott

Lake Lyall is pretty close to the Blue mountains and its a good spot to fish you can catch Trout, redfin and bass there which are good fighting and great to eat.

If your willing to travel the central coast and illawarra areas have way better river and bay fishing then sydney it just depends on how far you wanna go

Good luck

Welcome, Kiera, great to see you taking up the sport.

I live at Putney (Ryde area) and am 300mtrs from the ramp at Kissing Point, pretty much straight down the M4 for you. I would be quite happy to take you out on my boat and attempt to give you some tips. I usually fish the Harbour regions and sometimes venture outside weather permitting, so if you want to come out one day just pm me and I will let you know my RDO days etc.Usually fish on my own, so some company would be welcome.Generally catch a few.

Regards,

Russ.

Edited by Tuffy

:1welcomeani: to fish raider :) Georges river - botany bay fish well i even fish land based at picnic point for whiting and bream as well but boat is by far the best anyway :) if you want bream near the bridges in georges river /botany bay usually come up with a fair few bream and depending on the bottom if its sandy can produce flathead and whiting as well, also the Hot water outlet in botany bay/kurnell side we got some big bream there last time.

also coming from blue mountains you might want to try the hawksbury river as well im not that good around those areas

Thankyou all!

Definately going to have a few places to try out these next couple of weekends!

Tuffy - I was told that Putney Park is a nice spot for shore fishing, is that right?

A few of us were actually headed that way this w/e (weather permitting).

DGF - I've been on the Georges a few times now and never left without at least one big fish.. So I agree with you there, the Georges seems to be quite good atm.

Tuffy - I was told that Putney Park is a nice spot for shore fishing, is that right?

A few of us were actually headed that way this w/e (weather permitting).

Yes, Keira, it is quite pleasant and I have seen some good bream caught there during the day. There are actually a number of spots around the area that can be quite good for various types of fish, bream, jewies, trevally and a couple of flatty spots that I am happy to show you, all land based if that is your preference.

Cheers, Russ.

Would be a great idea to have a few 3 to 4 inch plastics wrigglers or paddle tails and some 4 or 5 gram jigheads , as you should be able to pick up jew , flatty's and bream in the Parra river with a little practice and persitence, it can keep you busy for a while when you waiting for your baits to go off . Caught quite a lot of jewfish in the Parra last year it's a good area to get into some school jew. The lane cove also holds good fish and is not as busy as the Parra river we have pulled plenty of big flatties in there and it's not very far in the boat ,

Good luck and if you fish the harbour a bit im sure i will see you out on the water . Have you named your Boat?

Bubba

Russ - I am always looking for new land-based spots so any help is always appreciated.

Bubba - Not entirely sur eon some of the things you said - I'm only beginning!

I'm currently using my old man's boat 'Four Play' so if you see the yellow thing floating around be sure to wave!

Parra sounds pretty decent so far - looking forward to the new challenge!

Can't catch any - We'll see if the boys are saying that when I get good enough to offer some healthy competition :)

Hey Keira

Defiantly try botany bay if you have your old mans boat.

I fish there nearly every weekend and come from penrith way its easy to get to and i nearly have always come home with a good catch

:thumbup:

Places to try there would be a few hundred metres off towra around kernell and drifting in between dolls point and captain cook bridge,

I only fish with lures but there is no reason you couldnt anchor up and get a burly trail going and send down some lightly weighted baits.

The hawksbury is another great system and there are endless places to try around there too.

Its a "practice makes perfect" thing so dont get all worried if your not getting any fish Sometimes the best of us has a shitty day :biggrin2:

If you want to know more about any of these places send us a pm and ill be happy to reply

Cheers

Pete