My New Toy

Brooker435

Hey Raiders,

Have been real keen to get into Boating for Quite some time but never got around to it as we do!!!

then about 2 months ago decided to look into getting a Licence went through all of that and Managed to get it about 3 weeks ago so started looking for Boats from that Point on which was not a easy task when you are on a limited Budget.

To make a long story short I stumbled across a 1985 Haines Hunter with a 50hp Evinrude on the Back so I decided to get out there and Have a look at it and I checked out everything as much as I could with the limited Knowledge that I have and everything appears to be ok on the Boat and she started 1st go and look's fairly untouched which Is what I wanted, the only thing I can fault on it is the Trailor needs attenion new leafs and a bit of cut and re-weld but I have been told that you can buy quite alot of parts off the shelf to fix trailors not to worry I am going overseas next Saturday so I wont worry about it till I get back but might try to sneek out on saturday for a quick spin in it before I go...

Anyway raiders here she is.......

Regards,

Nathan

post-9366-127106741102_thumb.jpg

post-9366-127106739944_thumb.jpg

Nice one mate! Im sure you'll have plenty of joy in her!!

And heartache too!! (it comes naturally with boats..lol)

Yeah there's always a bad part :biggrin2: but it's part of it as you say I am pumped cant wait to take her for a spin!!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Mate i own a haines V146C and i love it!!!

cant go wrong with them.

Nice choice of boat and the motor aint too bad either.

Enjoy the wonderful world of boating.

Well Done on your 1st rig...

Cheers

Mick :thumbup:

Well done Nathan,

The boat will serve you and your brother well.

One thing always to remember is - always respect the ocean(mother nature), know the boats limitations and do not take risks for the sake of a fish.

Cannot wait to here and see your next report.

Twin 1 :beersmile:

Mate i own a haines V146C and i love it!!!

cant go wrong with them.

Nice choice of boat and the motor aint too bad either.

Enjoy the wonderful world of boating.

Well Done on your 1st rig...

Cheers

Mick :thumbup:

Thanks Mick,

I have been told by a few people that they are quite a good boat and I am sure Ill get alot of joy out of her..

And Ill finally be able to take the Mrs out sometimes too....

Regards,

Nathan

Well done Nathan,

The boat will serve you and your brother well.

One thing always to remember is - always respect the ocean(mother nature), know the boats limitations and do not take risks for the sake of a fish.

Cannot wait to here and see your next report.

Twin 1 :beersmile:

Marcel,

Thanks Marcel

Ill take it easy for a while to familiarise myself with the Boat but it wont be till I get back from Overseas that I will start getting serious.

My brother bought a boat with a Mate also but they need to get their licences first before they set out

Regards,

Nathan

Nice one mate, Hope you enjoy her and she brings you many fish :1fishing1:

Thanks Cut Loose I am looking foward to the Fishing but It will take me a while to get my head around it but will enjoy learning...

I Look forward to going for a spin see how she goes....

Regards,

Nathan

G'day Nathan ,

The Haines / Evinrude combo was always a good one , I bought something similar for my first boat ( still have it !! ). Providing the engine was well maintained , it will probably run forever!! If you need help with her on your first trip , give me a yell , would be glad to share a few tips with you .

Ross

Good stuff Nathan :thumbup:

Fishing totally changes once you have access to a boat. Sometimes it can feel like you've always got your hand in your pocket when you have one but when you add it all up, most of the costs are small and the payback is HUUUUUGE.

Nice ride.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Nathan ,

The Haines / Evinrude combo was always a good one , I bought something similar for my first boat ( still have it !! ). Providing the engine was well maintained , it will probably run forever!! If you need help with her on your first trip , give me a yell , would be glad to share a few tips with you .

Ross

Thanks Ross,

Hopefully will get a couple of hours in on saturday arvo probably just go for a spin without fishing gear!!! just to get her out there will be enough

actually come to think of it might bring along some softies and have a quick flick!!!! :biggrin2:

I am a beginner when it comes to boating so all advice given will be greatefully recieved!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

:biggrin2:

Good stuff Nathan :thumbup:

Fishing totally changes once you have access to a boat. Sometimes it can feel like you've always got your hand in your pocket when you have one but when you add it all up, most of the costs are small and the payback is HUUUUUGE.

Nice ride.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks Slinky,

Cant wait to get into some serious fish hopefully!!! :biggrin2:

Regards,

Nathan

Go down to the ramp at a quiet time. Make a list before you hit the water. Here's a simple guide

Before you leave the driveway

. Keys in + Keyswitch !

. Gear you need in like fishinng gear, Make sure there in a safe spot as i've lost rods and a baitboard while driving

. BAITS IN ! i've forgotten the bait so many times

. Food + Drinks in esky with ice, Always nice when fishing

. Strap's on boat

. Motor tied down

. Bungs in

. Saftey gears in

. Make sure the fuel + oils in, Don't hook the fuel up till you get there, If the tanks portable take it out of the boat when filling

At the ramp

. Bungs in ( again ! )

. Strap's off

. Motor trimmed up so it clears the ramp

. Double check rods tackle etc

. Make sure the tailers in the water enough when you back down, If you got a 4wd dunk it,if not be careful and get in tailer in enough

In the water

. Since your just starting out, Try and start the motor on the beach, Hook up the fuel line, pump the pimper, Put your rods in holders etc neaten the boat out and trim the motor down, Make sure she's in the water enough, a few turns of the key and she should kick, Choke up a little to warm her up, Dont rev the motor whatever you do. When changing gears make sure you do it quick, Less wear on the gears. Than drive around till you get the feel of the boat, When your ready to open the trottle, Trim the motor down all the way, Put the trottle down and when the boat starts to plane trim it up a bit.

Mate there's alot to learn and thats a basic guide, You will have to get use to it, Me and dad have been boating for 3 years and were getting good at it now, But it takes time.

Goodluck

congrats on the new boat nath as cut loose surgested check the bungs are in before you leave home again at the ramp and one more time before it gets in the water then get your mate to check it again :biggrin2:

do'nt stress out at the ramp take your time never undo the safty chain till the trailer is in the water

if people look like there getting pissed off with you at the ramp because your taking to long do'nt let it get to you everyone has had to start from scratch the first few times

never drive up the ramp with out your safty chain on

enjoy mate the kings will be on the deck soon

cheers gary

Well done mate. I have only been into boating for 6 months or so now and I have to say there is nothing better then getting up on the plane on a fresh sunday morning when the water is like glass. It's so good, I'm considering selling my GSXR which I thought would never happen. Every chance I get I choose to take the boat out.

Getting out there for the first time is tough, but once you've done several times you start to get the hang of it. Let us know how you go.

Thanks for your Comments and Advice Everyone.

I like your checklist Cut_loose

Dont worry the Bungs are always on my mind as I have heard so many stories about them I keep annoying my brother with his boat about them too.

It will be a nerve racking time for me when I take it out the first time but none the less am looking forward to it...

I am thinking of picking her up tomorrow and trying to get her out friday afvo/evening as the boat ramp will be quieter and that way I can organise the Rego friday during the day rather than saturday...

I will put up a post after I take her out for the 1st time!!!

Regards,

Nathan

woohoo!!!im so happy for you nath,i know how much you were looking forward to getting your boat mate.sorry i havnt smsd you back,im low on credit.so where you planning on taking her for the first time,id reccomend a quiet waterway with a ramp that doesnt get crowded.

you know if you need company,im just a call away mate.we need to have a fish together b4 you go overseas bro,4sure.been getting a couple more jew hookups at THE spot.

btw,has she got a sounder???give me a call soon if you can,i cant ring you cos as i said,im low on credit.congratulations on the boat once again & im sure you'l get onto some great fish,hopefully with me in company.haha.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Hey Johnny,

I only have a week left spewwing!!!!!

I will take her out on Saturday with my Dad and then She will be locked up around the Back of my brothers place till I get back because my dad needs to organize a gate for her here and unfortunately this weekend is pretty much full for me last week here family stuff you know what it is like!!!

I will meet up during the week with you and need to return the DVD's also hahahahaha...

Don't worry johnny there will be plenty of chances when I get back there will be a spot for you on my boat no worries there!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

nathan, the bungs were always on my mind till i launched one day and realised my boat was sinking.

With quick thinking saved it.

Triple check bungs!

Enjoy your rig!

I picked her up tonight and have put the bungs in already hahahaha and have bought 4 spares as she has 4 bungs!!!

but I am sure that ill forget to put them in sooner or later!!!

Regards,

Nathan