Oats For Burley

edman

Hello raiders,

Has anyone ever used oats for burley? The last time I used them I soaked them for 4 hrs whilst fishing throwing a handfull every now & then. At the end of the session I threw the rest in the drink but over half the oats just floated away which hadn't absorbed any water. Is there a way of preparing the oats before fishing? Maybe boiling? By the way they aren't brekkie oats, they are from a produce joint. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

i've never used oats but we used to boil rice in a watered down tuna oil more off a simmer than a boil the bream would go nuts peeled prawns

free spooled down the berly trail

if your buying from a produce store try polard and bran as well

cheers gary

mate make it cheap and easy for yourself and use bread crumbs instead of oats. 2 bags of breadcrumbs from Aldi (total cost about $1.60) mixed with some tuna oil and water and your done. It works a dream.

mate make it cheap and easy for yourself and use bread crumbs instead of oats. 2 bags of breadcrumbs from Aldi (total cost about $1.60) mixed with some tuna oil and water and your done. It works a dream.

How much and how often should you be throwing more burley over the side using the bread crumbs?

Pollard. $12 for a 20kg Bag. - Try a stockfeed place (CRT at Ourimbah for Coasties)

I've been using it for years. I take home all left over bait, keep all eaten fish frames, skins, trimmings, prawn shells, EVERYTHING gets used when I take a fish home. Whatever doesn't get eaten/frozen for bait goes into my burley mix. Generally I don't even use tuna oil as there's enough scent in it.

Mix it up the night before, let it permeate. I crush up everything in a bucket with a stiff flat shovel before I mix the pollard in. If you want a heavy mix, then mix it with water. If you want a light/topwater mix, use tuna oil, BUT bulk it up with a cheap vegetable oil, or you'll go through litres oif Tuna oil which can get very pricey!

It ends up costing about $5-10 for a bucket of berley. I'm talking a 20L bucket. And you can freeze it to keep it handy when you don't have time to make it up. But a high water content freezes solid, so plan ahead and take it out early.

How much and how often should you be throwing more burley over the side using the bread crumbs?

i have a little ladle in the bucket and i put a small scoop out every couple of minutes. Im usually fishing in the upper reaches of port hacking in relatively shallow water so the berley tends to stay close by, the current isnt overly strong there. As i am using pilchard pieces for bait i also through out a couple small pieces of pilchard once in a while. I have been told that you shouldnt put too much tuna oil in the mix though as it will bring along the yellow tail and small snapper and will not give you a chance of gettting the bait down to the other target fish.

I went beach fishing this morning and took some coles quick oats, little bit of hot water. Then I added this fish attractant I bought from Rays, (Stimulate, I think). Anyhow, when I put it on my plastics I get no bites, thus not having caught a fish yet.

HOWEVER,

mixed with the oats, put into a plastic container poked with holes attracted a crap load of bait fish, I mean there was a huge swarm trying to get at it. I guess Oats work.