Fishing Plastics Problems

fishhntr

i have been fishing plastics for a while and was very succesfull on mono but since switching to braid i havent caught even half as many fish

could i tbe because i havent been using a leader

and if i was to use a leader would burkley vanish go well with berkley fireline

i have been fishing plastics for a while and was very succesfull on mono but since switching to braid i havent caught even half as many fish

could i tbe because i havent been using a leader

and if i was to use a leader would burkley vanish go well with berkley fireline

Hey mate,

Definateley. You dont want to fish straight braid.

I would tie on a leader of around 60cm. Vanish is good stuff, and as light as you can.

The problem is, braid is thin, but its not like a mono line, which will vanish, so the fish will see it.. Kind of like fishing with too heavy a line.

If the fish see it, they get spooked..

hope it helps.

thanks mate i new it i have been arguing for days with the missus over it (she thinks fish are stupid)

hopefully i can go land that massive flatty im after

If your going to use light leader you should use around a rods length atleast. it will deffently get you more strikes and adds a little shock resistance as well

Pete

Just be careful when you tie your leader on as the braid is very fine

ive lost a few fish from not tieing it properly and having the braid slip through the mono

if fish are stupid then i have no hope for myself with the amount of money i throw at them

Morgs

Just be careful when you tie your leader on as the braid is very fine

ive lost a few fish from not tieing it properly and having the braid slip through the mono

if fish are stupid then i have no hope for myself with the amount of money i throw at them

Morgs

What type of knot are you doing mate?

A double uni or even an albright knot shouldnt slip through, i think i have only had my leader knot fail once or twice and i think that was because of being a couple of sessions old

geoff wilsons improved albright is the best knot ive found to date.......

the low stretch in braid can be a problem if you strike too hard (or at all) because no stretch can = pulled hooks...

i use sharp jigheads and dont strike on flatties but thats personal...

Try flurocarbon.... it will surprise you ( though mono does the job fine)...

i have a spare spool with 4 lb fluro and when its tough that helps(not to mention bream and perch on the cards)

good luck

ian

What type of knot are you doing mate?

A double uni or even an albright knot shouldnt slip through, i think i have only had my leader knot fail once or twice and i think that was because of being a couple of sessions old

i do the double uni knot , i think sometimes i might cut the tag of a little to short ? do you find the allbright knot better, i havent learnt it yet and it seems to be pretty popular

Thanks

Morgs

i use flurocarbon leader for all my leaders works a treat although when fishing plastics i still hardly get much :P but still productive produces the bigger fish imo :P i use a double uni knot and if im lazy and in a hurry i usea 5 turn surgeon knot that i learnt from stewie :P quick and easy and does the job well

If your after a big flatty I would suggest 10lb to 16lb leader , big flatties often engulf the lure and will rub you off on the lighter leader very easily , also flatties are probably the least finicky fish around so heavier leader of 10 to 16 lb will not be a prob and will give you a good chance at landing a big fish . Yes you will get more fish on lighter leader 4lb or 6lb but ,you will lose most of your big flatties as well . So if you want a bigger fish I would target them with 100mm plus size lures and heavier leader . Good luck mate

Bubba