Knots For Connecting Braid To Heavy Mono.

gef118

I do a bit of Barra fishing using a baitcasting outfit. (Carbon fibre rod and low profile reel)my choice of leader is usually of the Wind on type of leader that I have made up by a contact in Darwin, (I am in Victoria).Is there a suitable knot I could use to make a braid to heavy leader connection that would do the job?

I do a bit of Barra fishing using a baitcasting outfit. (Carbon fibre rod and low profile reel)my choice of leader is usually of the Wind on type of leader that I have made up by a contact in Darwin, (I am in Victoria).Is there a suitable knot I could use to make a braid to heavy leader connection that would do the job?

Hi,

Below are a couple of links

The first is a youtube video showing how to attach braid to mono using what is called a Double Grinner Knot

The 2nd link shows how to join using a Double Centauri Knot

Double Grinner Knot

Double Centauri Knot

http://www.marinews.com/Double-Centauri-Knot-252.php

Other users may have better ideas.

Hope it helps,

Cheers

There sure is reel man.

It's called a mid knot... shown to me an a couple of other Raiders by Jewhunter at our recent Monduran trip. While not much else went our way, this knot is an absolute killer. Prior to learning to tie this knot, I'd been tying GT knots but I have a lot more confidence in my ability to tie a Mid Knot well (both knots are awesome when tied correctly though and work on similar principles).

I don't have a Youtube link to post though, sorry. You might be able to google something. At some stage I might see if I can shoot a short vid with Jewhunter and try to post it on Fishraider.

Cheers, Slinky

I second the PR and FG knot, when tired correct i have 100% confidence in it, as above sails trough guid with easy as it is not bulkty at all. I use the FPR knot for heavy jigging and locked up on PE10 the knot held well. You can get the tool to do the knot but i was shown to do this hand, it does take a bit of practice and time to do the knot but once done right there is no looking back for heavy application.

Cheers,

Sz1

Edited by SZ1

there is alternatives to leaders.dont use them at all!just double your braid tie direct to a swivel,i use centauri knot,18 inches of fluro straght to hook or lure.minium backlashes as you have no knots to hit rod guides or braid to catch on leader knots in flight.bottom bashing,brass ring on top of your rig to snap swivel.etc;etc;also i use the largest swivel that goes thru the guides.end of the day disconnect you rig wind swivel up to reel your ready for tomorrow.not all situations of course.if i have to use leader,12 turn bimini/albright,5 twists up 10 back.hope this helps gd luck.

There sure is reel man.

It's called a mid knot... shown to me an a couple of other Raiders by Jewhunter at our recent Monduran trip. While not much else went our way, this knot is an absolute killer. Prior to learning to tie this knot, I'd been tying GT knots but I have a lot more confidence in my ability to tie a Mid Knot well (both knots are awesome when tied correctly though and work on similar principles).

I don't have a Youtube link to post though, sorry. You might be able to google something. At some stage I might see if I can shoot a short vid with Jewhunter and try to post it on Fishraider.

Cheers, Slinky

if you could make a video that would be great

been looking for more info on this knot for a while

was also looking into the PR knot but i dont want to have to carry around a PR Bobbin and i want to be able to tie it on the boat

I'll use nothing but the mid knot now in any braid over 10kg with a heavy leader.

It is simply awesome. Casts like a dream & will NEVER break when tied correctly.

The harder you pull on it the stronger the knot gets.

It's not actually a knot. It's a series of wraps & half hitches & works on the old chinese finger trap theory.

I'll catch up with Slinky soon & put a vid together for all the Raiders.

Cheers,

Grant.

I'll use nothing but the mid knot now in any braid over 10kg with a heavy leader.

It is simply awesome. Casts like a dream & will NEVER break when tied correctly.

It's not actually a knot. It's a series of wraps & half hitches & works on the old chinese finger trap theory.

Cheers,

Grant.

A video would be perfect! Really looking forward to some visual instructions on what sounds like a great knot.

And getting the double thumbs up from Jewhunter and Slinky gives it some extra cred :thumbup:

Monch

another thumb up for the FG knot from me. since i've learned this knot, i never looked back. the braid actually grips on the leader, hence the harder u pull, the more the braid will grip on and stronger the knot. it is very slim and as mentioned by a few raiders it will flow with ease through the guides. i have never had any breaking issue with the FG knots. there's a few youtube videos on FG knots but if u can get a mate to show u, that's even better. as with any knot, practice is vital.

cheers

bertrand

Cheers,

Grant.

do you need a PR bobbin to tie your midknot??

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever used an Albright knot, been using it for over a year now with great results.

They have good vids on youtube on how to tie it correctly.

It a very simple knot and very effective.

Regards, Michael.

Albrights are ok but not ideal.

They will let go during a heavy session. The braid eventually cuts through the leader.

I used it years ago but have found better knots since.

The slim beauty is a much stronger knot.

The mid knot is the best of the lot IMO. You won't break it. You will break your hook knot or snap your braid but you won't break it at the knot. You also don't need any tools to tie it.

I will make that vid soon. Haven't had time lately. :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Grant.

They will let go during a heavy session. The braid eventually cuts through the leader.

The mid knot is the best of the lot IMO. You won't break it. You will break your hook knot or snap your braid but you won't break it at the knot. You also don't need any tools to tie it.

Cheers,

Grant.

would love to see it mate, got a fishing trip to weipa soon so it will be good to test it out up there.

Cheers, Michael

Cheers,

Grant.

how long does it take you to tie a midknot ??

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering would mid knot work just as good with say 15lb braid and 12lb mono?

No.

I've only managed to tie it in a minimum of 10kg braid to a 15kg leader.

It is a heavy braid to heavier leader knot.

I have not been able to tie it at all in any strength fireline. It's too slippery.

Cheers,

Grant.

For those of you wanting to know how to tie a mid knot there will be a video on the Australian Pure Fishing website very soon. I've not used it but apparently its a great knot.

Keep an eye on the PureFishing TV section.

C.

For those of you wanting to know how to tie a mid knot there will be a video on the Australian Pure Fishing website very soon. I've not used it but apparently its a great knot.

Keep an eye on the PureFishing TV section.

C.

Come along to our Soft Plastics Clinic June 20th and the experts can show you any knot you wish to learn biggrin2.gif

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=48683&pid=357772&st=0entry357772

mrsswordie

G'day Reel Man

Couple of questions first, you say barra rod, how long is it?

Also do you still want to use the wind on leader system your buying and if so what type is it and the finish connenction thats on the end of the wind on?

If not do you want to do to go to a standard mono leader?

Reasons for asking, the barra rods of the past have been short sub 6ft that were designed to use with mono. The line stretch in the mono gave the the outfit the stretch it needs to keep hooks in fish. These days with the use of braid the barra rods have now gone longer to use the rod as the shock absorber as the braid has no stretch.

For this shock absorber way of thinking some of the barra guides (and other forms to) employ a twisted mono leader. If this is what your buying, they are pretty easy to tie yourself with the help of a mate and a drill.

MOst of the barra rods on the market don't have big guides on them thus making casting knots threw them a bugger. It reduces casting distance and accuracy and after a while line fatigue in the knot will happen. By either retieing every hour or leaving the knot outside of your guides to cast will fix these issuse. Only problem then is your either fishing less or the use of long leaders are ruled out.

The GT and Mid knots would have to be the most guide friendly but take time to tie. a bimini twist most can tie pretty easier in under a minute, a loop to loop even quicker. So a little bit of time at home while your thinking about your next barra trip tie up a bunch of wind ons and you will save yourself some money and fishing time in the long run. :biggrin2:

Pretty satisfying to tie a nice leader yourself to!

Greg

No.

I've only managed to tie it in a minimum of 10kg braid to a 15kg leader.

It is a heavy braid to heavier leader knot.

I have not been able to tie it at all in any strength fireline. It's too slippery.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks for the info.

I tried anyway but the lines came off very easily. So yes confirm that mid knot is not good for thin lines.