2 Jew And A Bagout On Flatties!

tide'n'knots

Hi raiders, I fished wisemans last night and again today for a pretty good result.

arrived yesterday arvo and met my mate joe at the ramp around 4pm and we fished until 10pm. The target was jew and we were looking half a chance of scoring a decent jew when I picked up a 60cm specimen about 1hour after we arrived along with 2 nice flatties and another keeper flattie to joe. Just on dark the dreaded catfish hit with vengeance! and from that point on we spent the rest of the night Whacking catties - you would think their mates would get the message after seeing all the dead catfish floating past their noses!

I have always found that for some reason the humble hawkesbury prawn seems to work better than anything else at this particular spot but it was impossible to keep one on the hook longer than 30 seconds before a hungry cattie scoffed it down, so we were forced to use strip baits and squid to try and keep a bait in the water long enough for a jew to find it. At one point joes rod buckled right over and almost touched the water from what we suspect was a good jew, and sprung back up just as quick and the line had snapped with out taking any drag. We later worked out that the line was brittle and had to be replaced - what a way to find out!

At 10pm we pulled the pin and joe headed home and I slept in the back of the ute on a mattress to recharge the batteries for another assult in the morning.

Up bright eyed and bushy tailed at first light and after a quick cuppa I was back at it again.

I managed another 55cm jew but unforunately the prawns that I had purchased were freezer burned and a little brown by the time they had thawed-grrrr!I deliberately bought these prawns because they were slightly larger than any others that I was able to get, I suppose that is a lesson to learn about purchasing bait from a servo instead of a reputable bait shop!

A couple of flatties later and the prawns had seen better days and was wondering what to do, stay or go? when I came up with the idea of sacrificing one of the flathead for bait, I ended up getting several more and finished up with 12 flathead over 2 trips, 2 last night and 10 today plus 2 jew. Not exactly what I was after but a pleasant consolation prize.

pete.

post-8689-127190099994_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127190105081_thumb.jpg

post-8689-127190118612_thumb.jpg

Edited by tide'n'knots

Hi Pete,

Sounds good up there ATM and likely to get better.

MH is a waste of time lately for jew and havent really bothered.

The kings are still there although its slowing down recently. Managed a 72 last week and a 60 that went back to momma yesterday.

Feel sorry for some guy who left 2 rods at the ramp yesterday.

Cheers

Congrats on the Jew & Flatties, but why kill the catfish? Why not just throw them back alive.

I hate killing fish unnesasserily but if you have ever been spiked by one you will totally understand!! they just arent worth the risk.

pete.

good stuff mate! cant remember wisemans been this productive lately! been around there & spencer few times (land bases)for no luck what so ever!

were u boat based or land based?

gday mate, I fish from a boat but with the amount of flathead around at the moment I have a sneaky suspicion the beach on the bend of the river near the ferry would produce for shorebased guys!

pete.

Great catch Pete

What ramp do you launch from in wisemans? Seems a long way to drive from where i launch (mooney mooney)

mate I launch from a little cutting between the mangroves only because it is closer to where i fish and at this time of year fog can set in at night and the less travelling on the water the better! But unless you have a 4wd too get in and out - forget it!!!however there is a fairly good little ramp right next to the public wharf in the township of wisemans ferry and there are numerous ski parks around that all have ramps but they allow you to launch - for a fee!! Mooney Mooney is certainly a long way by boat I would be inclined to drive there and launch.

hope this helps

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

Yes yes, let's all just kill the catfish. Hey, while we're at it why don't we kill all the chopper tailor that destroy our plastics, and any other fish that steal our baits. Better kill rays as well as they can hurt you if you get in the way of its spine. Leatherjackets can be annoying, hey why don't we slaughter all of them and chuck them back to leave a trail of death.

I can't believe there are still people who can justify killing a fish just because it isn't desirable. The only reason to kill a fish is if you put a good use to it.

And saying it has a painful spine doesn't cut it either, almost every fish in the ocean can hurt you if you don't handle it properly. That doesn't make it ok to just kill them.

Unbelievable.

Yes yes, let's all just kill the catfish. Hey, while we're at it why don't we kill all the chopper tailor that destroy our plastics, and any other fish that steal our baits. Better kill rays as well as they can hurt you if you get in the way of its spine. Leatherjackets can be annoying, hey why don't we slaughter all of them and chuck them back to leave a trail of death.

I can't believe there are still people who can justify killing a fish just because it isn't desirable. The only reason to kill a fish is if you put a good use to it.

And saying it has a painful spine doesn't cut it either, almost every fish in the ocean can hurt you if you don't handle it properly. That doesn't make it ok to just kill them.

Unbelievable.

you have obviously never been stung by one or you would not be so smug!! I have been stung and let me tell you I was one of the most painful experiences of my life! my armpit felt like it had a tennis ball shoved in there and I laid on the floor of the boat and cried in pain. - walk a mile in my shoes before you judge!!As I said before trying to handle them and release them just isnt worth it , personally I would rather handle a black snake!

pete

you have obviously never been stung by one or you would not be so smug!! I have been stung and let me tell you I was one of the most painful experiences of my life! my armpit felt like it had a tennis ball shoved in there and I laid on the floor of the boat and cried in pain. - walk a mile in my shoes before you judge!!As I said before trying to handle them and release them just isnt worth it , personally I would rather handle a black snake!

pete

Not smug just extremely ashamed that there are fishraider members who can justify killing creatures for no reason (and being stung is NOT a reason). If anything it's your fault you got stung. How about just cutting the hook off or shaking it off over the side with pliers. You don't have to touch the thing. You obviously have no respect for the environment if you think just because you got stung that gives you some sort of right to go ahead and kill them.

I havent been stung by a catty but I have been stabbed by a ray and let me tell you that was bad. I was lucky it was only shallow. But I dont go killing every ray I catch, I learnt my lesson and now just cut the line or remove the hook with pliers if it's in the lip.

Sharks will do a hell of a lot worse things than stinging you, why don't we go and kill them everytime we have one boatside?