Squid

mikeh191

Hi Raiders, a mate called me yesterday morning [8.30am] and asked if I wanted to come for a squid session with him and a mate in his tinny.In need of some fresh jew or king baits I said no worries and met him at the boat ramp 20 minutes later, only tried 2 different spots as we found the squid to be on tape. Between the 3 of us we bagged 55 squid ranging from little ones to a couple of thumpers.Had a sensational feed of calamari last night and have stocked up with some quality baits, definitely wasn't expecting to get so many in one session.Jewies here we come, sorry no photos as I didnt take a camera.

where abouts do you get squid :( i cannot find squid in sydney for shit :( i usually go jeffery st wharf but only end up with like 2-3 small ones

If you are getting 2 or 3 small ones, then your in a good spot...

i dont know the area, but i would try walking around 20 meters either side of the wharf and see spots around there...

if they are there, then it means they have the right habitat to live there, so you will find more..

problem with squid is that they move around alot, so you may want to try 3 spots or 4 spots in the same vacinity, and just loop through them..

Spot 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, and back to 1 and do it all again.

I would spend around 15 - 20 mins at each spot (if you are catching nothing) and stay for 15 mins after the bite stops etc.

hope this helps increase your squid catch..

congrats on the huge numbers... i dont get as many from the boat as i do from sure.. dunno why.. btw totally agree with the post above.. his advice so so spot on... all i can add is that the expensive jigs almost always do the damage.. and if ur moving between spots which r in visual distnace it helps 2 leave a rod out with either a jig or pilchard on a float at one spot so u kno wen they r there... cos if ur moving and the squid r moving sumtimes the positions just dont coincide if u get wat i mean..

Hey fishbones.

Suggest try the smaller squid for the kingies. Even as floaters. (Small bean sinker in a faster current).

Was taught by Paul Rumsey (a Legend) 30 years ago fishing for kingies in B Bay, use only bottle squid! .

We smashed the kingies in B Bay with them before 98% of anglers were targeting them or realised they were there.

Very good days indeed.

Note please do not limit your options, and a bigger squid presented in your known format for your known enviroment will always produce if it has been doing so.

Just a suggestion to think outside the square. And worth a go at something different.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

We got the squid around port hacking and what Hamuwaja said is spot on ,thats exactly what we did.We would do a couple of drifts in the same place till they went off the bite then move a little and try again and keep repeating this till we found where they had moved too.55 squid sounds like a lot but between 3 guys but we are still within our bag limit. I would not usely take that many but considering I have not eaten calamari for ages and with it being a good moon phase for jew I needed some good bait. Heading out this arvo at 5.00pm for a quick jew session under tom uglys bridge in my mates tinny, fingers crossed.

Cheers Mike

That's a top effort Mike! :thumbup:

Plenty to share around and eat, and some for bait.

I'm not jealous ... I'm not jealous ... I'm not ...

Cheers

Peter

PS Good luck with the jew session this arvo. I'll be driving over Tom Uglys about 5pm, so throw me a spare squid when I sound my horn. :074:

well done mike sounds like u had a great session on the the inkers its been hard gathering them up lately mainly cause of the wind direction i believe :1badmood: good luck on the jews i'll be out more now targeting jews as the kings thin out if u free one arvo sms me and i'll take u out in my tinny

Hi Fishbones Great report and I hope you got onto some good Jewies.

Do you have any tips on where and how to catch squid in the hacking. Have tried a couple of times and gave up. :beersmile:

Hi mate, if you cast around any kelp or blade grass weed beds your in with a good chance.If you are landbased have caught squid at just about every wharf in the hacking,sunset or sunrise are better times. In a boat try salmon hall,jibbon point all the way through to the boat moorings just off the beach,and if there is no swell try from sand shoes and all the way through to cronulla point.I find small squid jigs better and most productive colours for me are orange,pink,greenish and off creamy colour. Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers MIke

Boat limit is 45 squid so you guys were actually over by 10.

Ben

From Fisheries website

Boat limits

Boat limits aim to limit the catch of anglers fishing in the same boat over a 24 hour period. These apply regardless of the number of people in the boat. Boat limits are intended to limit the overall recreational fishing catch and prevent the circumvention of personal daily bag limits by individual fishers through the carrying of non-fishing passengers in a boat. At present, the only boat limit applies to gemfish (10 fish).

From Fisheries website

Boat limits

Boat limits aim to limit the catch of anglers fishing in the same boat over a 24 hour period. These apply regardless of the number of people in the boat. Boat limits are intended to limit the overall recreational fishing catch and prevent the circumvention of personal daily bag limits by individual fishers through the carrying of non-fishing passengers in a boat. At present, the only boat limit applies to gemfish (10 fish).

Thankyou for clearing that up mrsswordfisherman,as soon as I saw Bentartist1 reply I rang the fisheries at cronulla [95278435] and he said there is a bag limit of 20 per person per day and NO boat limit as I thought.Not sure who gave you that imformation Bentartist1 but its not right.