Help With Installation Of Bait Board

Fisherman36

Hi,

I have recently purchased my first boat, an AlleyCraft 475 Bar Raider - 2003 model.

I want to install a removable bait board at the back of the boat.

My first preference was to drill and install 2 flush mount rod holders for the legs of the board at the back, but from the looks of it, the width of the area at the back is too narrow for the flush mount rod holders. I was then thinking of installing the rod holders on the outside at the back of the boat for the legs.

I have 3 questions...

1. Does anyone have the same boat that has installed rod holders in the back (not on the outside, but as per my first preference)?

2. If I have to install them on the outside, I was thinking of using plastic rod holders rather than stainless to avoid any issues with the stainless and aluminium reacting. Will the plastic ones be strong enough mounted on the outside to hold the baitboard?

3. Should I just use self tapping screws to mount the holders on the outside (I think they will take 6 self tappers), or am I better to try and bolt them through the back of the boat and have washers and nuts on the inside?

I will be using Sikaflex on all holes / screws / bolts.

Thanks

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached 2 pics, one from the inside showing measurements, the other from the ouside.

My prefrered idea was to buy an off the shelf, 2 legged bait board and install 2 flush mount rod holders in the middle at the back. But I think 80mm may be too narrow for this.

The 2nd option is to install the rod holders on the outside of the boat.

Will 6 self tappers on each rod holder be strong enough?

Any advice / opinion is appreciated.

Any other suggrestions?

Cheers

Garry

post-13646-127277822383_thumb.gif

post-13646-127277832416_thumb.gif

How lucky are you I own the same boat including the colour first bait board was a Bermuda Type but after the rod holder brackets where broken on 2 trips decided to buy the genuine Ally type BOLTED ON WITH STAINLESS BOLTS AND SICA FLEX

post-2614-127278000881_thumb.jpg

post-2614-12727800404_thumb.jpg

post-2614-127278006684_thumb.jpg

post-2614-127278008944_thumb.jpg

Hi Wetpatch,

Thanks for the quick response and photos!

I was opting for the "less permanent" option by looking at using a removable board. The kids will probably be clambering over the back in summer, and I was hoping not to return them to their mum's with lumps & bruises on their heads, and knowing my kids, this will happen if the bait board is permanent!

I see you had the rod holders in the back (the part that I thought was too narrow for them) and at least I can see it will work, although I hear your comment on the rod holder brackets breaking.

Thanks again

Garry

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I now have an idea of what I can / can't do.

Cheers

Others have provided the 2 basic options available , ie , permenant & removable. If you choose to removable plastic holders are OK with 3/4" 10 gauge round (pan) head screws if used just for the bait board.

Metal holders are preferable if using the holders as actual rod holders.

Which ever way you choose , when installing , have the motor fully raised to ensure there is sufficient clearence between the board & the motor.

Geoff

Hi mate,

I have my bait board installed with external plastic rod holders which was one of your options. I had to modify the bait board slightly to move the legs closer in so they would fit into the rod holders, as I only had limited room to install the rod holders. Personally I would only use lighter outfits on the bait board rod holders as I have had kings take the lighter out fits and the bait board tends to bend. I mount the external rod holders with 4 rivets on each(although there is room for 6).

post-8655-127286221214_thumb.jpg

post-8655-127286222559_thumb.jpg

post-8655-127286223747_thumb.jpg