Sydney Harbour Landbased

5ky

went out fishing with a mate, caught a nice 45cm flathead and a 33cm blackfish, also caught 2 octopus which i threw back, wasnt sure which one were able to eat or not lol.... caught on pilchards and chicken strips,

just wondering do octopus make good baits? if so what sort of fish will go for them?

post-10096-127280921734_thumb.jpg

Blackfish are a bycatch, Just cause they targeted with weed doesnt mean they wont eat it sometimes, I've caught blackfish on prawns and bream and also weed :biggrin2:

Well done on the fish mate, Thats a good plate size flatty, Looks like it'd make some good fillets for a fish of that size :thumbup:

octopus r good bait but only for predatory species in my experience as it is very tough and usually only gets taken if the bait can be swallowed in 1 bite...ie sharks

i believe u can eat most kinds of octopus(octopi?) in the sydney harbour area cept for the blue ringed which you should not even touch... however i remember reading in the fisheries booklet that taking octopus from sydney HARBOUR is illegal.

cheerio