What Have I Got Here?

Stippy

Question

Hey Raiders,

Could someone please ID this guy for me? I'm thinking it's some kind of cod. Caught on a Berkley 2" Baby Shrimp in the Molting colour.

These things were the only thing on the chew down at Thirroul beach on a run out tide, and the fact that they loved the rocks meant I lost a couple of jig

heads pulling them out :ranting2: Was actually hoping I could find some flatties - so he was sent on his merry way.

Are those pectoral fins poisonous?

Cheers,

Adam.

post-13033-127296656951_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Hi stippy, you've got yourself a Rock Cale mate. They can be a bloody pest at times!!! But I'm pretty sure the spines aren't dangerous....they'v never hurt me.

i dont think its a cale dont they have a more pronounced bump on the head and more of a parrot beak type of mouth?

caught a few while goin for blackies and they normally bleed everywhere too

Eastern Kelpfish looks good from the side view. Excuse the language, but a sh*t sandwich would probably taste better than easting one of these.

Yowie.

Thanks guys, Eastern Kelpfish seems like a positive ID. Aside from trying to snag me under some rocks this little guy didn't put up too much struggle on my Sienna 2500, when it hit I was hoping it might be a nice drummer!

Cheers,

Adam.