Mono Vs Braid

petro

Hi Raiders.

Just wondering what your opinions are with mono and braid on a soft plastics rod. Which do you prefer?

Alot of people I have spoken to say braid is the way to go, but I really don't want to fork out $50+ for braided line. Will it bring better results if I switch to braid?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

I'd say 95% of people are going to tell you to get braid. And they're right because the lack of stretch in braid makes it so much easier to stay in contact with your lure and feel every bump. Most you should pay for 120m (which is all you need for sps) of braid is $40.

I'd say 95% of people are going to tell you to get braid. And they're right because the lack of stretch in braid makes it so much easier to stay in contact with your lure and feel every bump. Most you should pay for 120m (which is all you need for sps) of braid is $40.

150m is $44.95

Braid is the Way to go and yeah there is a Heap of brands out there suiting all price ranges but I use Suffix Braid and 150m usually costs around 30-40 but have a look around a bit there is heaps of different brands out there... I remember once I switched over to braid I said to myself that I'd never go back to mono when it comes to lure fishing as its just so easy to flick around and controlling the lure and as mentioned keeping the tension on it whilst jigging...

Regards,

Nathan

You might also consider getting together a group of like minded enthusiasts and buying some braid in bulk. Plenty of tackle stores will be happy to offer good discounts if you're purchasing in the thousands of yards. Keep your spool stored somewhere dry and cool and you should find it lasts quite a while. As an added bonus braid is thinner than the equivalent pound mono so you'll get more on your spool just in case you hook into a monster!

Cheers,

Adam.

Hey Petro

I'll go out of the norm here and say I absolutely hate using braid in the wind,:ranting2::ranting2:

Either with lures and particularly with bait as I tend to fish with little or no lead most of the times.

It may be just the way I do things but boy doesn't it frustrate me.

Always keep one spool braid and one mono and change over etc etc as need be.

Other fishraiders please enlighten me if its my technique and if you have the problem also, would love to know the solution.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Yeah you are pretty much on the money when it comes to wind and braid they don't mix well with me also.

the only thing I have done in the past whilst fishing in wind Braid or mono is keep the rod tip down using either Braid or mono or try to fish in the direction the wind is going but generally speaking I do not do a lot of fishing when the wind is up.

Regards,

Nathan

I agree. 1 spool mono 1 spoon braid, I wont use braid for bait at any time, I always use very light weight when fishing bait and normally no lead and it tangles up to easy and hard to do alot of knots with, esp in the lower lb rating

Hey Grant

I do have problems with using braid and lures in the wind. As I said very fustrating for me.

Yes I do keep the rod tip low etc etc, but just can't seem to maintain the required action say 50% of the time.

Your learned opinion as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.

(Note no other problems with braid and lures other than in the wind)

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Mono through and through! Whether Im chasing bream or flatties on sp and hb's, or flicking for squid in 5ft<, or targeting kingys and jews its always mono. Everyone has there view and we have ours, til you try out, its your decision to make :D

Dan an Greg

Edited by Dan and Greg

Hey Grant

I do have problems with using braid and lures in the wind. As I said very fustrating for me.

Yes I do keep the rod tip low etc etc, but just can't seem to maintain the required action say 50% of the time.

Your learned opinion as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.

(Note no other problems with braid and lures other than in the wind)

Cheers

Trapper Tom

G'day Tom.

One of the major problems using light braid in the wind is the lose line you get on the spool when retrieving. You cast out & bang, the dreaded wind knot!

Every few cast try ripping a long cast out & bring it back in under tension with your fingers.

Tip wraps can also be very annoying. Try shortening your leader down & cast with a smoothe action instead of a wrist whip.

Hope this helps mate.

I just love the feeling of a fish on the line with braid. So much more fun than mono. You feel every headshake & can put a hell of alot of hurt on a fish when you have to pull it up quick smart from bricking you.

There is no way possible that you could fish anywhere like 1/16th - 1/40th jighead weights with mono. You couldn't cast it & you wouldn't feel any bites. This is where braid comes into it's own.

Cheers,

Grant.

In light plastic fishing there is no comparison to mono.

Just went and got some braid today, Super PE.

I will probably be putting an underlining of mono and then braid, as I only got 150m of it.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks.

Just went and got some braid today, Super PE.

I will probably be putting an underlining of mono and then braid, as I only got 150m of it.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks.

hey m8 try online shop i got my Melaluka Braid 500metres 15lbs for $15 and 10 bucks delivery

hey m8 try online shop i got my Melaluka Braid 500metres 15lbs for $15 and 10 bucks delivery

Well you do get what you pay for. :thumbdown:

Wait until it breaks at the knot on a decent fish under 2 kgs of drag. Then when it completely breaks down after 12 months put another post up & tell me it was worth it. :wacko:

Petro. You've done well in spending the money on decent braid.

You need a bit of mono backing on your reel to stop the braid slipping on the spool.

Your idea on how to spool your reel is the right way to go.

Cheers,

Grant.

I argee with Grant

I had cheap braid before and it was good for like a month than it just started snapping for no reason. After that i threw it out and bought Sunline Super PE and never looked back, 3months and the sunline 6lb has caught me heeps :1fishing1:

I argee with Grant

I had cheap braid before and it was good for like a month than it just started snapping for no reason. After that i threw it out and bought Sunline Super PE and never looked back, 3months and the sunline 6lb has caught me heeps :1fishing1:

Yeah mate, I got the Sunline SUPER PE aswell. Will be testing it out this weekend hopefully.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Well you do get what you pay for. :thumbdown:

Wait until it breaks at the knot on a decent fish under 2 kgs of drag. Then when it completely breaks down after 12 months put another post up & tell me it was worth it. :wacko:

Petro. You've done well in spending the money on decent braid.

You need a bit of mono backing on your reel to stop the braid slipping on the spool.

Your idea on how to spool your reel is the right way to go.

Cheers,

Grant.

i have used heaps of online shop braid with no problems. there is no need to break the bank for a fish. the only drama i have ever had is with the colour fading. each to thier own i spose tight lines

i have used heaps of online shop braid with no problems. there is no need to break the bank for a fish. the only drama i have ever had is with the colour fading. each to thier own i spose tight lines

Fair enough.

You haven't said how long you have been using it for or how many big fish you have caught on it.

When you say "heaps" of it I wonder why?

I have just replaced a spool of braid after 10 years of use. Never failed me.

Each to their own I suppose.

BTW Petro. I spooled a reel of mine last year with sunline super p.e for a good price & I am very impressed with it. Good choice I reckon.

Cheers,

Grant.