Brisbane Water Saturday 8Th May

Stealthmission

HI all... just a quick report to say what a magic day it was out on the water on Saturday. Its days like that catching fish isn't such an issue (maybe just my excuse?)

Anyway, I headed out on my runabout which I have had for only one month.. and into the Kincumber Broadwater and cockle channel. Was just using crappy servo prawns, but ended up with a couple of whiting arounf the 30 cm mark and a heaps of 25 cm bream.. jsut undersize (although I did let all fish return to fight another day).

Being new to the waterway, I was surprised at the number of boats out on the broadwater... must hold fish then?

I was mainly drifting and then anchored near the oyster leases to throw unweighted prawns on one rod and a lightly weight prawn on the other... the smaller bream were smashing my baits... lots of fun. Is this technique good for big bream too?

Also had a big blue swimmer latch on but he wasn't keen to come up to my landing net!

RDO on Friday... can't wait to get back out there!

Stealth

HI all... just a quick report to say what a magic day it was out on the water on Saturday. Its days like that catching fish isn't such an issue (maybe just my excuse?)

Anyway, I headed out on my runabout which I have had for only one month.. and into the Kincumber Broadwater and cockle channel. Was just using crappy servo prawns, but ended up with a couple of whiting arounf the 30 cm mark and a heaps of 25 cm bream.. jsut undersize (although I did let all fish return to fight another day).

Being new to the waterway, I was surprised at the number of boats out on the broadwater... must hold fish then?

I was mainly drifting and then anchored near the oyster leases to throw unweighted prawns on one rod and a lightly weight prawn on the other... the smaller bream were smashing my baits... lots of fun. Is this technique good for big bream too?

Also had a big blue swimmer latch on but he wasn't keen to come up to my landing net!

RDO on Friday... can't wait to get back out there!

Hey mate My boat is called stelth different spelling same meaning is moored at koolewong not far from where you were fishing Cool name stealth however its spelt.

Regards Cam

Stealth

Edited by Baybuster

We were out saturday afternoon for an overnighter.

Took the kids out and anchored over near Gosford train bridge.

Evening was pretty quiet with not much other than the odd blue swimmer crab that i couldnt get into the net due to bad light.

Sunday morning we awake to a chilly morning and calm water.

Threw out the lines and finally hooked onto a runner.

Once netted and on board and after a bit if head scratching decided we had caught a 59cm Salmon....

unusual being so far up an estuary, anyhow i have yet to decide how i am going to cook considering their reputation as a strong flavoured fish.

water temp is around 17 - 18 degrees which is a little chilly considering the 22 odd a week or so ago.

probably explains why the big fish were off the bite.

Anyhow, its nice to hear from fellow Brisbane Water fishos and if we can share our experiences we can all learn a thing to two..

Cheers for the post and might see you out and about some time.

Regards

Mick :thumbup:

good to hear you got the boat going, was just reading you're other topic

Welcome TMZ, i wasnt sure if you were refering to me or another...

Thought i might clear that up before i start waffling away.

Cheers

Mick

Mate,

I just moved to Broadwater and can see the whole bay from my balcony. I have only fished there a few times without much sucsess however the last time i fished there and burlied up I did pretty good on the Bream.

Give me a call if you ever want to catch up for a fish there.

0448 851 346

Cheers

Peter

Guys as was said before, its great to hear some reports about Brisbane Water. Lets all do our bit to get some local content on here.

As you can see, I have been a member for a few years now but have never posted because I couldnt see any local stuff on here.

Cheers

Peter A

Edited by PeterA

Guys as was said before, its great to hear some reports about Brisbane Water. Lets all do our bit to get some local content on here.

As you can see, I have been a member for a few years now but have never posted because I couldnt see any local stuff on here.

Cheers

Peter A

Mate,

Start posting and others may follow.

Tell you fishing mates about Fishraider etc...

Regards

I love fishing Brissy Waters (BW). It has to be one of the best waterways to fish and access.

Lets start at the top.

Narara and Erina Creeks:

Mullet, flatties, bream. Crabs of course. You may be lucky and pick up the odd tailor, salmon or Jewie. The Jewies used to be pretty plentiful as they would head up the creeks as part of their breeding cycle. OK fishing at the rail bridge, but you have to wait.. Fresh mullet or bonito strips seem to work best. I fish there outa my kayak.

Waters between the top of BW and where the Oyster leases start:

There are a couple of spots we found which hold fish.. Along the train tracks flick SPs for bream along the rock wall, try and drift along it. You can see where the weed bed starts, depending on the tide either start at the end of the weedbeds up to the rail bridge. There is a lttile deep section in the main bay, sorta head from Iguana Joes towards Sailing Club(I think, on the opposite shore) go about 3/4s of the way and its around tehre, holds small jewies and big bream.

Sandflats around Saratoga (north of Paddys Channel):

whiting! Lotsa fun on light gear with hawkesbury prawn segments on long shank hooks with 2 red beads or red tube, about a metre of fluro leader and a small sinker. Drift over the weed and sandflats, dropping the bait down into the sand and pulling up when you hit the weed edge. Good fun out of a kayak.

Oyster leases:

Best fished at high tide out of a kayak with unweighted SPs for Bream. Or anchor up close, and fish next to or between the leases with bait.

St Huberts Island, Lintern Channel and broadwater:

I've fished around the Island, whiting, bream, flatties, flounder in most areas. Lintern Channel I've fished out of the kayak with SPs and funnily enough picked up a couple of EPs and bream under the boats. I've only even fished the broadwater once, we picked up bream and flounder. Under the bridge to the Island we have always picked up small tailor, the kids love it as they give a really good fight on light gear. We did pick up a 38cm tailor so they are there.

Paddys Channel:

I reckon Paddys Channel is over rated. I've picked up flatties through there and a few legal bream, but you have to put up with all the lil pinkies and there is much better spots to fish. But that's my opinion.

Woy Woy Bay:

Little bream and flatties, beautiful area to fish though.

Rip Bridge:

Pick your spot. BE CAREFUL!! You have to remember there is a lot of water going through this relatively small channel and there is a lot fo current, swell and tidal movement. We tend to fish on the Daleys Point side about 200m downstrem from the bridge on an outgoing tide. Just be careful if you anchor up. Jewies! You have to have fresh bait, tailor strips and squid on a paternoster rig, make sure you have a stinger hook! You will also get tailor, flatties and big bream. If you head over to where the boats are moored, still on the Daileys Point side, you can get some good whiting, just have to put up with the pinkies.

From Rip Bridge to Half Tide Rocks:

Flattie HEAVEN!! Love fishing this section of water, I normally have a bait out, occy hook, 2 red beads, fluro leader of about 1.5mtrs and an oversize sinker. I've been using the snapper flasher rigs, seem to work well, although I have had much better success in the deeper water in the Hawkesbury with the flasher rig. I find as you drift along the sinker puffs up the sand which seems to get the flatties attention and they will hit the bait. I also have an SP, lifting it sharply as you drift. Try a few different drifts. It's hard to get the same drift each time, if you are heading along the shore at Ettalong Beach on an outgoing tide, there are some good "gullys" off the sandbar, if you're lucky you can see the flattie take the bait. TOP FUN!

Half Tide Rocks ettalong/umina side:

Jewies.. Same as above, fresh bait. Get some tailor and salmon cruising thru, you can see where the water is deaper and all choppy, try and fish along there.

This is only what I have been lucky enough to experience and fish.. I hope it helps. It's such a top area, just love it!

Take care on the water,

Luffy....

I love fishing Brissy Waters (BW). It has to be one of the best waterways to fish and access.

Lets start at the top.

Narara and Erina Creeks:

Mullet, flatties, bream. Crabs of course. You may be lucky and pick up the odd tailor, salmon or Jewie. The Jewies used to be pretty plentiful as they would head up the creeks as part of their breeding cycle. OK fishing at the rail bridge, but you have to wait.. Fresh mullet or bonito strips seem to work best. I fish there outa my kayak.

Waters between the top of BW and where the Oyster leases start:

There are a couple of spots we found which hold fish.. Along the train tracks flick SPs for bream along the rock wall, try and drift along it. You can see where the weed bed starts, depending on the tide either start at the end of the weedbeds up to the rail bridge. There is a lttile deep section in the main bay, sorta head from Iguana Joes towards Sailing Club(I think, on the opposite shore) go about 3/4s of the way and its around tehre, holds small jewies and big bream.

Sandflats around Saratoga (north of Paddys Channel):

whiting! Lotsa fun on light gear with hawkesbury prawn segments on long shank hooks with 2 red beads or red tube, about a metre of fluro leader and a small sinker. Drift over the weed and sandflats, dropping the bait down into the sand and pulling up when you hit the weed edge. Good fun out of a kayak.

Oyster leases:

Best fished at high tide out of a kayak with unweighted SPs for Bream. Or anchor up close, and fish next to or between the leases with bait.

St Huberts Island, Lintern Channel and broadwater:

I've fished around the Island, whiting, bream, flatties, flounder in most areas. Lintern Channel I've fished out of the kayak with SPs and funnily enough picked up a couple of EPs and bream under the boats. I've only even fished the broadwater once, we picked up bream and flounder. Under the bridge to the Island we have always picked up small tailor, the kids love it as they give a really good fight on light gear. We did pick up a 38cm tailor so they are there.

Paddys Channel:

I reckon Paddys Channel is over rated. I've picked up flatties through there and a few legal bream, but you have to put up with all the lil pinkies and there is much better spots to fish. But that's my opinion.

Woy Woy Bay:

Little bream and flatties, beautiful area to fish though.

Rip Bridge:

Pick your spot. BE CAREFUL!! You have to remember there is a lot of water going through this relatively small channel and there is a lot fo current, swell and tidal movement. We tend to fish on the Daleys Point side about 200m downstrem from the bridge on an outgoing tide. Just be careful if you anchor up. Jewies! You have to have fresh bait, tailor strips and squid on a paternoster rig, make sure you have a stinger hook! You will also get tailor, flatties and big bream. If you head over to where the boats are moored, still on the Daileys Point side, you can get some good whiting, just have to put up with the pinkies.

From Rip Bridge to Half Tide Rocks:

Flattie HEAVEN!! Love fishing this section of water, I normally have a bait out, occy hook, 2 red beads, fluro leader of about 1.5mtrs and an oversize sinker. I've been using the snapper flasher rigs, seem to work well, although I have had much better success in the deeper water in the Hawkesbury with the flasher rig. I find as you drift along the sinker puffs up the sand which seems to get the flatties attention and they will hit the bait. I also have an SP, lifting it sharply as you drift. Try a few different drifts. It's hard to get the same drift each time, if you are heading along the shore at Ettalong Beach on an outgoing tide, there are some good "gullys" off the sandbar, if you're lucky you can see the flattie take the bait. TOP FUN!

Half Tide Rocks ettalong/umina side:

Jewies.. Same as above, fresh bait. Get some tailor and salmon cruising thru, you can see where the water is deaper and all choppy, try and fish along there.

This is only what I have been lucky enough to experience and fish.. I hope it helps. It's such a top area, just love it!

Take care on the water,

Luffy....

Mate that's really great information, top stuff :thumbup:

Thanks for your info Luffy,

I also have found Paddys overrated... like you said plenty of small reddies that munch through your expensive bait like there is no tomorrow.

Another spot worth mentioning is to drift from Blackwall towards the Rip on a runout tide. we often pick up decent flatties and the odd large bream and whiting.

Lintern Channel is OK but it is narrow and the ferry running through makes hard work of it, best to get there at 1st light before the pickers come out.

Erina and Narara creeks used to be gun spots years ago but hard work for a feed these days. as you said, plenty of patience required to hook something decent from these spots.

In all i have found that all the spots you mentioned fish well but are best in the evening or at 1st light. after that it pickers and not much else.

Cheers

Mick :thumbup:

Guys

Great info. I have never really had a lot of luck in BW so have been heading out in Broken Bay. I agree too about Paddys. I have fished a few times at the rail bridge and had heard success stories but little luck.

Ive drifted along the channel on a run out tide towards Blackwall and had some success with flatties

I'm sure Ive seen you around Luffy. I'll have to say g'day next time.

Cheers

Peter