Two Harbour Trips

rickster

Caught up with Vladimir during the week after contact through the "adopt" section. Vladimir is more into his game/deep sea fishing but was very interested in giving the dark side a go. Picked him up (after getting lost) early saturday and arrived at our spot in the harbour around 7.30am. Got fish straight away and within about 1/2 hour each had 2 fish in the bag. Ideal conditions but from then on it became one of the most frustrating sessions I've experienced. No it wasn't Vladimir, but over the next few hours we had thousands, well a bloody lot, of the best downs you could imagine. Most occassions ended up with no hookups and bait hardly touched. We did well to eventually bag eleven altogether, gave it away around 12.00 and Vladimir ended up with a nice feed and mothers day present for the missus. I forgot the camera but Vladimir took a couple with his phone so may post at a later date. As we were leaving we met up with a couple of fellow raiders, gave them some weed and tips of where to fish, hoping they were able to score a few. Quite a good day, good company and will be heading out together again in the near future.

Being a sucker for punishment, back there again with my "nemisis' Steve on sunday. Beats me so often that I should be used to it by now - but I'm not. OK todays gonna be different. I'll show him a thing or two. By 11.00 Steve was "lucky" enough to have 6 nice fish in the bag. I wasn't too far behind him, keeping him honest and using all my expertise. At this stage he was marginally in front at six to nil. Started to get a move on around lunchtime, landing my first, then a couple more, but in the end same old same old. Steve ended up with eight, I got six. Different to yesterday, nowhere near as many downs but better quality fish. Just shows what a difference a day can make.

post-11436-127344798148_thumb.jpg

Well done on some nice blackies :biggrin2:

What time of day do you find the best for catching them?

Harry

Harry, the good thing about blackies is tide and conditions is much more important than time of day. As long as the water isn't too clear, you can expect to catch them all through the day.

Rick

nice blackies im still going to have to beat you too :P imma go grab some weed this weekend might go for a blackie hunt on sunday! you up for the challenge :P

Send you a PM very shortly.

Rick,

if your getting downs by the thousandlike that try a bit of cabbage old trick Dad taught me especially if the weeds untouched on the hook! Its about the time of year they do this! If i was not in wellington i think i'd haveto get out and give you all a lesson, though you and Steve should already have this gem of info!