Spit Bridge 16/5

Geoff-

Went for a fish around the spit this morning, started off on the north side saw heaps of tailor, bonito, a groper etc. a couple of uninterested nibbles and that was it. couldn't even entice them with a plastic (I was on bait, my mate was on plastics). walked over to the southern side and tried in among the boats, sun was nice and more sheltered from the southerly but no hookups. could even see whiting mucking around in the sand and looking at our hooks but not hungry! had a chat with a guy fishing off the sewer works there and he had been there for about 8 hours and caught a blue swimmer crab by fluke, and no other bites despite 3 lines in the water.

amazed to see so many fish around that wouldn't take a hook. I even threw my bait out afterwards and the toadfish sniffed at it and wouldn't have a go! now that's when you know they are off the bite.

Went for a fish around the spit this morning, started off on the north side saw heaps of tailor, bonito, a groper etc. a couple of uninterested nibbles and that was it. couldn't even entice them with a plastic (I was on bait, my mate was on plastics). walked over to the southern side and tried in among the boats, sun was nice and more sheltered from the southerly but no hookups. could even see whiting mucking around in the sand and looking at our hooks but not hungry! had a chat with a guy fishing off the sewer works there and he had been there for about 8 hours and caught a blue swimmer crab by fluke, and no other bites despite 3 lines in the water.

amazed to see so many fish around that wouldn't take a hook. I even threw my bait out afterwards and the toadfish sniffed at it and wouldn't have a go! now that's when you know they are off the bite.

Ahhhh, The joys of fishing

Hey guys,

Bad luck at the spit hey.... Ive fish the spit alot LB, and always come home with a mixed bag of fish. I usually fish the run in tide they seem to bite alot more. Fresh bait is a must too, better luck next time!!

ive had days like that there before, couldnt even catch a coldeyeballs.gif

glad i avoided doing that, the wind had some bite to it.

agree with fresh bait, under the bridge i was using woolies prawns (probbaly chinese) and no interest besides a couple of half-hearted nibbles. I switched to fresh squid when we moved around a bit and barely got any bites on that either..

we started around 8:30 on the run-in tide, one guy leaving said we could have his spot he had been there for 3 hours and nothing. couldn't believe it given how many fish we saw and none of them hungry!

Amen to that! Found a spot on the south side sun came out, fresh coffee in hand could be so much worse! Only gets better when I'm on the boat too (and replace coffee with beer) :D

Edited by Geoff-