Setting Up A Tiagra 30Wlrsa

Hey Guys

Was wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to set up a Tiagra 30WLRSA?

Was aiming on setting it up on 24kg mono but am a little concerned about line capacity. From what I can gather it will only hold 580 yds of 24kg.

Use would be for YFT cubing mostly and marlin if I got lucky trolling. Saw something a while back that Mick Lyons does and that was fill it with braid (?kg's) and then top shot with 50-100 of mono? Has anyone done this and how much line capacity does it give you in the end???

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Henry

Edited by Henryh

Hey Guys

Was aiming on setting it up on 24kg mono but am a little concerned about line capacity. From what I can gather it will only hold 580 yds of 24kg.

Use would be for YFT cubing mostly and marlin if I got lucky trolling. Saw something a while back that Mick Lyons does and that was fill it with braid (?kg's) and then top shot with 50-100 of mono? Has anyone done this and how much line capacity does it give you in the end???

Henry

Maybe get a 50w if concerned about line capacity

500m not long enough for tuna fishing?

Ya might get done on a blue marlin but use the boat and chase any long running fish down. We only fish 24 on SLT30's and they are a narrow spool that only hold about 500m max. If a fish gets 500m off good luck to it, I wouldnt want to wind it back!

To me fish a lighter comfortable outfit that will get 95% of the fish you hook than some over sized outfit that won't be as nice to use.

Greg

Henry,

I have filled my 30WLRSA's with 50lb braid (spiderwire) and a 100m 60lb penn 10x nylon top shot joined with a spliced loop connection as per wind on leader. This gives me 800+ metres and the 100m of nylon is plenty for a shock absorber. I then run a spliced loop wind on (150lb)to a sampo and use short leaders (2-2.5m).

I have caught a few stripes and blacks on this system and it works well with the only draw back being maintainace of the dacron loops.

Cheers Dave

Hey Guys

Henry

Hi Henry

May i suggest in just spooling it up with good qaulity 15kg mono.......At the end of the day that reel will adequately handle just about anything that you will come across in Sydney

Cheers Warnie

hi mate

i have two 30s and both of these are spooled with braid then top shotted with mono. i use 65 lb whiplash on one and 50lb tuff line on the other. both of these reels hold between 900 to 1000 m. these reels are really compfortable to fish with and i would much prefer to fish with these than the 50s anyday . i topshot both the reels with about 200m of 50lb mono. its probably better to use the 65 lb braid as it offers you a little more forgivness on the braid to mono knot. i lost a big black the first time the braid left the spool due to what i thought was a good knot. i fish with mick alot and he has shown me a knot which i have 100% faith in now. for what you intend to do the 30s are perfect especially if you are cubing . i picked up my mates 50w to have a cube with it a couple of days ago and put it straight back down after the first drift . i changed my top shot on both of my reels three times in the last 5 months and it doesn t cost much to do so.

i hope this helps .