4000 Sized Reel - Kings Landbased

Raii

Hi, I'm looking at a few reels atm, not sure which one would perform 'better', I am landbased and I will be using this as a rod for targetting the larger species like Kings and Jews landbased. If people could possibly give some reviews, that'd be great. I'd rather stick to the ones mentioned below.

Ive got in mind (4000 size):

Daiwa Tierra

Daiwa Exceler

Daiwa Advantage

Shimano Saros

Shimano Symetre

Thanks.

In my opinion i would go the Symetre, well built robust reels.

But if you are not using plastics i would go for the shimano Baitrunner 4500B( or one of the newer models) simply becasue of how tough they are and the baitrunner feature is very useful

Harry

I'm actually considering either the Exceler or Symetre (price wise)

And I forgot to mention, I will mainly be using livebaits and larger plastics.

So thats a +1 for the symetre

Well, I'm looking more towards the Symetre atm

But theres two things, theres an RJ and a FJ model, could someone clarify what the differences are? Which is the 'better' one?

Well, I'm looking more towards the Symetre atm

But theres two things, theres an RJ and a FJ model, could someone clarify what the differences are? Which is the 'better' one?

A quick search on google tells me that the RJ one is a rear-drag version of the FJ one. Rear drag meaning the drag is on the bottom of the reel as opposed to on the top of the spool. I was once told that most reels are designed front-drag now because it allows the drag washers to be larger and thus possibly give more drag for the same amount of pressure on the washers, or give the same drag with less pressure.

I would go with the normal FJ one.

The Symetre whilst being a good value for money reel and highly recommended by most people is inferior to the Stradic. I don't think you get a spare spool with the Symetre but you do with a Stradic. The spare spool alone, accounts for most of the price difference, ie the Stradic without a spare spool would be similar in price to a Symetre. I think the Stradic has bigger drag washers than a Symetre. The Symetre 400g is also significantly heavier than the Stradic 329g. The Stradic also has 1 more bearing than the Symetre.

I bought the Stradic over a Symetre for the above reasons, although mine is a size 2500 not a 4000.

Just noticed that you haven't listed the Stradic, might be something to consider as the Saros is similar but older than the Stradic.

If you start thinking about the Stradic then you should start comparing it against the Tierra as they are similarly priced.

Edited by monch

Do you already have the rod mate ? We can help option you up if you tell us what you have/want to get.

If yes, go to a tackle shop and try all those reels to see which one feels best.

If not, go the the tackle shop, pick up the rod you want to buy and try all those reels to see which one feels best.

The Stradic is solid as is the Saros (stradic feels smoother), the Tierra feels a bit plasticky to me, but heaps of people use them and like them and the Exceller I have used in smaller sizes and I really like them, but my mate had small issues with a sticky the bail arm (nothing some lube can't fix).

At that price range, the differences will be minimal .. just mainly the stickers on the reels. Get the best one you can afford out of your list and you won't look back.

whats your budget?

can i suggest a heartland xa 4000 with a 7'6" catalina rod? i use the lightest catalina of the 3. i've spooled it with PE2.5 and according to manufacturer it breaks almost at 40lb

they are not ultra smooth like a stella, but i reckon its not far off from a stradic. daiwa reels feel alot more sturdy too, especially the air bail. i had the sustain, which is supposedly one step up from the stradic. i gave that away after one use

as for the rod its long enough to be used land based and also short enough to be used on a boat.