Botany Bay (Kurnell) Thursday 20 May With Pic's Added

fish53

:1fishing1:

Hi Raiders. Fished Kurnell area on Thursday for the first time in months (just myself) and had a top day. Been having luck in Woolooware Bay of late but was very low tide and dirty on Thursday.

Using 2kg or 3kg line and light leaders, caught 17 Bream keepers and 2 Blue Swimmers, as well as a few big Trevs @40cm+ (throw backs as I am not keen on them). Really quality fish ranging from 28cm to a pb 41cm blue nose and a couple of 39cm. Would not normally have kept so many but I owe a few neighbors a feed as the boat is parked in the street and I figure to keep them happy so the boat stays safe and sound.

After a few good honest 28-30 cm, then the first of the 39cm and I thought this is too good :biggrin2: , then next on the same rod its twin :biggrin2: , followed by the 41cm all within 25 mins. :1yikes: . It was a HOT bite.

Also lost a greenback tailor about 50+cm at the boat..... bit off the bream rig :1badmood: .

Don't know why is was such a good day but perhaps a combination of fishing incoming tide close to the mangroves and shore, where the fresh Cronulla had may have forced them out on the outgoing tide and they were returning hungry.

Bait used was live nippers and pilchard pieces, a little burly assisting. Also used Squidgy Pro Lobby in lava. Was in only 1.7 meters and water was clear. Fished between 9.30am and 1pm for the haul.

Pic added

post-12646-127465697392_thumb.jpg

post-12646-127465692572_thumb.jpg

post-12646-127465716353_thumb.jpg

Edited by fish53

Hi Spinner7,

Will do, thanks.

Pete,

Yes was off Towra end into the mangroves. I think the incoming tide was drawing them in on the new water. Temp has been down the last week, Woolooware Bay was only 17.5c.

regards

Pete

Hi,

I went out on sunday morning, the weather wasn't that flash but it was worth it. I left the boat ramp at about 6 and came back at around 12.

I caught a few good size keepers :1fishing1:

Were any of you fellow raiders out in the bay on sunday?

post-13791-127477994399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kosta1

Hey Fish53,

Congratulations on a top haul of bream.

You got that many in 17.5 degree water ?

That's a good catch - the bigger fish can handle the cooler water.

The mangroves you mentioned - these are the ones just upstream from towra, past the moored big boats (heading upstream) and left into the mangroves there ? I think that's called 'the elephant's trunk'. Is that the area you got them in in ?

If so, I haven't been there for a couple of years....was the seabed there clear of weeds ?

I'm surprised you didn't see any whiting, if we are thinking the same spot.....

...and the blue swimmers - I thought they were out of season....

Tony

Hi Tony,

The area was the Kurnell side of Towra up at the Eastern end. You I think are referring to the mangroves opposite Dolls Point.

I have had a few crabs on handline baits over the last month, 3-4 an outing. I was only after bream and flathead this time, I did not get any whiting at all. I did however get a Banjo and a wobbegong who could not resist the crab bait.... I just watched him come up to the bait and sit on it!

Pete

Nice little bream session fish53 :thumbup: the bream in the bottom photo is a healthy looking fish, it would go down well with a blue swimmer crab on the side and a nice glass of ale with a dash of lemon and top the day off with a havana cigar :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :thumbup:

Jewgaffer...... hold the stogie and you have it in one.

Although I often add hot mix of soy sauce watered down, plus some sugar and fresh ginger and shallots to get that Asian taste. Goes down a treat :biggrin2:.