Keen To Have A Go With The Fly

austwave

I am keen to have a go at fly fishing.

Not done it before so dont want to spend thousands of hard earned to find that I am no good at it or dont like it.

Looking at a bit for trout at lake lyell and around Iron Cove for bream flathead or whiting.

and maybe at a pinch for salmon or tailor in the harbour.

I understand there is no universal outfit But I have been looking at a 6wt setup.

Reel:- Lamson Konic 2

Rod:- Nitro - Velocity 9' 6wt

Sage - Launch 9' 6wt

The little bit of instruction has been along the lines of good rod and line reasonable reel. To make sure the kit is not the reason for lack of success.

Any feedback with pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

G'day Austwave,

For someone just starting out, I'd recommend getting yourself an already set-up combo. Innovator (Nitro) do a good one in their 'Distance' series and Redington combos are ok.

Yeah, sure... they're not the same quality level as the rods you mentioned but to be honest, until you've got the hang of flyfishing and get a bit of experience under your belt, your casting won't be up to the point where you'll notice or get the benefit from it.

If you're happy to spend more $$ then the priorities are right... rod and line first. But otherwise save your $$ until you've decided you like it. There are so many different variables in fly fishing, you really need a bit of experience so you know what you want to get in your gear anyway.

As for possibly being 'no good at it'. Fly fishing is easy but don't be fooled... so is riding a bike and driving a car but remember how much practice went into mastering them? Be prepared for a learning curve and early frustration. Keep at it though and very quickly you'll start to get the hang of it and before you know it, it will all fall into place. You'll stop having to think about what you're doing and just do it... and that's when it starts to become a magic way to fish.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Austwave,

For someone just starting out, I'd recommend getting yourself an already set-up combo. Innovator (Nitro) do a good one in their 'Distance' series and Redington combos are ok.

Yeah, sure... they're not the same quality level as the rods you mentioned but to be honest, until you've got the hang of flyfishing and get a bit of experience under your belt, your casting won't be up to the point where you'll notice or get the benefit from it.

If you're happy to spend more $$ then the priorities are right... rod and line first. But otherwise save your $$ until you've decided you like it. There are so many different variables in fly fishing, you really need a bit of experience so you know what you want to get in your gear anyway.

As for possibly being 'no good at it'. Fly fishing is easy but don't be fooled... so is riding a bike and driving a car but remember how much practice went into mastering them? Be prepared for a learning curve and early frustration. Keep at it though and very quickly you'll start to get the hang of it and before you know it, it will all fall into place. You'll stop having to think about what you're doing and just do it... and that's when it starts to become a magic way to fish.

Cheers, Slinky

Cheers Slinky

Thanks for the tips, have not decided to part with the hard earned until I have adequately researched, so the items quoted were only the first recommendations I'd been given.

Thanks

Craig (Austwave)

To add to Slinky's reply, I would recommend getting a casting lesson..

It's the best money can you spend when it comes to fly fishing.

....Enjoy,

Lee

Couldn't agree more with what Leroy says about having some fly casting lessons to get you right before you start off and develop bad habits

:1welcomeani: welcome to the site Lee :thumbup:

Take a loook at the 8w Fenwicks for value, also Austwave there's a classy looking gold anodized all metal fly reel available that's marketed on line and only cost around thirty bucks would you believe and when a friend of mine pulled it apart we found that the quality surpasses my old Britsh made BFR fly reel by a country mile...There's a small group of fly fishing friends who book in to the clan motel up at Terrigal just to practice casting flies into the lagoon out the back.. pm me for details of the particular group if you like..I happened to meet them when I use to stay up there to fish off Terrigal Beach...they live in the far western suburbs and book into the same motel every off season just to get together and tweek up their casting and fly making techniques..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Craig,

When getting started the gear is not important.

Getting the timing is what takes the learning.

Much like riding a bike or snow sking.

Hard to start but once you have it you can't forget.

So if you are keen PM me and we can do some casting.

Get the timing happening and go from there.

I live in Wollongong.

Keep at it,

Geoff

If you're just starting out seriously just get a cheap jarvis walker 6 wt fly rod from one of the big department stores. For a $100 investment you get the rod and reel, line and backing. Next step is throw away the line and look online for a cheap deal on either a cortland, scientific angler or teeny 6wt weight forward floating line (WF6F) - That should cost about the $40 mark. Next buy some flies, wooly buggers in black, brown and olive as well as a selection of nymphs should get you going for trout. That way, for about $160 you have an outfit that you can learn on and basically test it out.

Then, if you decide you like it and want to upgrade, the rod is the first thing. Don't mess around with the other rods you mentioned, just go straight for a Sage Z-axis or TCX in a 6 wt (which is a good all round rod for trout and light saltwater). That will set you back about $1000, but it's worth saving up and getting the best in my opinion. Second is the reel, if you're doing a lot of saltwater work then the best bet is a machined alloy one because they are less likely to corrode. If you're only chasing trout it doesn't matter. The big thing to remember when fly fishing on the lighter scale, the reel is the least important component of the package, the rod taking top spot and the fly line just under that...

To add to Slinky's reply, I would recommend getting a casting lesson..

It's the best money can you spend when it comes to fly fishing.

Enjoy,

Lee

Yes I think that is the plan go have a class and use the trainers gear to get a feel for it.

Couldn't agree more with what Leroy says about having some fly casting lessons to get you right before you start off and develop bad habits

:1welcomeani: welcome to the site Lee :thumbup:

Take a loook at the 8w Fenwicks for value, also Austwave there's a classy looking gold anodized all metal fly reel available that's marketed on line and only cost around thirty bucks would you believe and when a friend of mine pulled it apart we found that the quality surpasses my old Britsh made BFR fly reel by a country mile...There's a small group of fly fishing friends who book in to the clan motel up at Terrigal just to practice casting flies into the lagoon out the back.. pm me for details of the particular group if you like..I happened to meet them when I use to stay up there to fish off Terrigal Beach...they live in the far western suburbs and book into the same motel every off season just to get together and tweek up their casting and fly making techniques..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jewgaffer,

I plan to go and do a day training course, to get a bit of a handle on the gear and the method.

Craig,

When getting started the gear is not important.

Getting the timing is what takes the learning.

Much like riding a bike or snow sking.

Hard to start but once you have it you can't forget.

So if you are keen PM me and we can do some casting.

Get the timing happening and go from there.

I live in Wollongong.

Keep at it,

Geoff

Hi Geoff, I appreciate the offer for assistance, going to have a look at a local fly fishing course to get a bit of a handle on the gear and the process.

If you're just starting out seriously just get a cheap jarvis walker 6 wt fly rod from one of the big department stores. For a $100 investment you get the rod and reel, line and backing. Next step is throw away the line and look online for a cheap deal on either a cortland, scientific angler or teeny 6wt weight forward floating line (WF6F) - That should cost about the $40 mark. Next buy some flies, wooly buggers in black, brown and olive as well as a selection of nymphs should get you going for trout. That way, for about $160 you have an outfit that you can learn on and basically test it out.

Then, if you decide you like it and want to upgrade, the rod is the first thing. Don't mess around with the other rods you mentioned, just go straight for a Sage Z-axis or TCX in a 6 wt (which is a good all round rod for trout and light saltwater). That will set you back about $1000, but it's worth saving up and getting the best in my opinion. Second is the reel, if you're doing a lot of saltwater work then the best bet is a machined alloy one because they are less likely to corrode. If you're only chasing trout it doesn't matter. The big thing to remember when fly fishing on the lighter scale, the reel is the least important component of the package, the rod taking top spot and the fly line just under that...

Thanks for the advice "abecedarian"

I went and had a full day fly fishing and casting training course.

It was good there was only myself and "Matcho" in the course.

I am an awkward bugger :wacko:

It gave me a good insight into gear configuration and setup.

Casting technique, it became obvious that a great deal of practice is required to become competant.

All in all a good day was had and a lot of valuable lessons learnt. :thumbup:

Okay my two cents worth! as far as rods go get one wit ha lifetime unconditional warranty (TFO, Sage, G Loomis, Flextech or Snowbee) they will have one for your budget! The line should match the rod action, example a TFO TiCR is matched beautifully with a 6 weight rio grande or rio gold thes elines are made a half weight heavier to load the medium fast nature of this rod When choosing a rod choose it on your casting action do you have long progressive arm action or a short sharp action this will depend on whether you want a medium action or a fast action you may be even suited to a slow action rod! Will you nymph only or do a mi xof wetlining dry and nymph! I now have 5 rods avery fast 8 weight for the Tongariro and Mohaka a 6 weight for all round and a very soft 6 weight for dry as well as two backup rods in 6 and 8 that are allrounders! The choices are endless but if youare srious get a rod with a warranty generally a replacement section will only set you back $25 check TFO for affordability and range theres a rod to suit all styles.

PM me i you want any mor eadvice and oh length of rod ar eyou going back country tight quarters lowland rivers and salt! This will also play a role iin the weight rod, personally a 5 weigh tfor most Aussie trout and a 6 - 7 weight for most NZ rivers or lakes, saying thta I had a 2.5lb fresh run rainbow hen turn my 6 weight TFO TiCR inside out on Saturday!

• 2 weeks later...

Austwave

Mate; be careful fly fishing is one of those sports that should come with a WARNING. It is bar-none one of the most enjoyably addictive pastimes you will find.

As for a set up. My first was a pflueger. I payed no more than about $70 for the Rod, Real, Line and leader. It was a 5/6 wt that I managed Flathead Bream and Chopper Tailor in and around Iron Cove to Bass and Yella in SEQ. This rod has now been retired (Broken) and has been replaced with numerous other rods and reels. The moral, i guess, is not to spend a great deal of money on the rod that you are going to learn with you WILL inevitably break it.

Enjoy your new-found pastime/addiction

Squizy

Austwave

Mate; be careful fly fishing is one of those sports that should come with a WARNING. It is bar-none one of the most enjoyably addictive pastimes you will find.

As for a set up. My first was a pflueger. I payed no more than about $70 for the Rod, Real, Line and leader. It was a 5/6 wt that I managed Flathead Bream and Chopper Tailor in and around Iron Cove to Bass and Yella in SEQ. This rod has now been retired (Broken) and has been replaced with numerous other rods and reels. The moral, i guess, is not to spend a great deal of money on the rod that you are going to learn with you WILL inevitably break it.

Enjoy your new-found pastime/addiction

Squizy

The other warning is that probably more than any other type of fishing, it's an addiction. An addiction that you must feed regularly in the form of new rods, reels, fly vests, waders, flies, lines etc etc. It can be an expensive hobby, but it's fun!

As for breaking the rods, fly rods are more prone to damage because they're long and thin. That said, it doesn't mean you're going to break them. I've got a heap of rods, fly and spin and overhead and I've never broken a rod despite fishing some very tight terrain. Basically it all comes down to how careful/lucky you are - you probably need a bit of both!

Edited by abecedarian