Overhead Jigging Reels

donjuarez

Hi Folks,

Looking for an overhead Jigging reel...

Seems to be a fair bit of info on here about Spinning reels.. but not that much on overheads

From what I've gathered on reading all previous posts about jigging outfits/reels, 3 key things keep coming up:

- Line Capacity

- Speed (High Ratio vs Low gear ratio)

I've also noticed that there are Star Drag vs Lever Drag options

Why have I chosen an overhead?

Because I don't have any overheads! Will be primarily used for jigging, but and also want the reel to double up for baiting the reefs for your typical reef species.

I have bought a 5'9" 15kg Jigging Rod, PE3-5, primarily for Jigs in the 150-250g range. Plan is to jig for Kings up to 1m offshore.

Budget wise, hoping to find something around $300

Any thoughts on the Penn International Torque reels?

The Penn International Torque 100's seem like they could do the job.. both are 6.2:1 Gear ratio

TRQ100 LD (Lever Drag)

Braid 30lb / 375yds

27kg Max drag

The TRQ100 (Star Drag)

Braid 30lb / 550yds

23kg Max Drag

Is there any need for a bigger reel fishing in 60 to 100 metres?

Is a lower gear ratio better? Why?

In the 4.9:1 range?

What have you got? what would you get?

Help needed... not really understanding the difference.. and not sure what to get...

Cheers folks!

:1fishing1:

AJ

Yes the torque would be ok. You want to look at cm per retrieve as much as the ratio. I use a trinidad 20 6 to 1 and that is ok on your average king under the metre mark so I would think the torque would be ok. If you step up to the tn40 narrow the ratio is lower but the spool is bigger so its all relative. I would think the star drag is the way to go as it should be a bit lighter and simpler. Don't see many people using lever drags as their first choice for jigging. I have never seen anyone buy but I'm sure someone does.

I haven't heard any reviews on the torque so I can't really speak for the quality.

6.2:1 is way too fast for jigging for kings

you want some thing in the 4. range

for your budget a good reel would be the Daiwa Saltist STT50 this is 4.9-1 which is more suited for jigging

should be able to put a good 3-400mtrs of 30lb on there they go for around $290

and if you dont like to lay line there is also a level wind model STT50A-LW they go for around $320

you want slower gear ratios for jigging as you will be fighting fish on the bottom not on the surface

and you want and need the power to pull them up off the reefs

as for lever vs star drag this is more of a personal choice

i prefer lever as i can just look down at the reel and now what my drag is set at with star you dont really have an idea

the advantage or a star drag over a lever is that when you have the drag up tight on a lever drag reel the handle also becomes harder to turn compared to the star drag reel which will turn as it would be no drag applied if that makes sence

all comes down to what you prefer to use

my overhead combo is a jigging master power spell PE3 its a lever drag and its gears are 1 :4.0 its perfect for jigging for kings its very light and has a ton of power

little over your budget tho

Edited by Framedtrash

The Penn Torques are good reels but are closer to $500 so are a bit out of your price range. 6:1 is fine for jigging, a lot of the high speed reels these days have efficient, large gears which still have a lot of winding power. With a low ratio and lot of line out (ie in deep water) you might have trouble moving the jig quickly enough. My favourite jigging reel is my Trinidad 16. The Torium 16 is almost identical and is close to your $300 price target. Some of the reels mentioned are too large and make it hard to wind the line on evenly why frantically jigging. Also wide reels will tend to wobble and also tend to roll over under heavy drag than narrow reels.

The anti-reverse on the Trinidads and Toriums are a bit weak and can fail with heavy braied lines. An easy fix is to replace the anti-reverse dog with the dog and spring from the DC Trinidads. Also the dartanium drag washers can get sticky after a while. When this happens you are better of replacing them with carbontex washers coated in Cal's drag grease.

Edited by billfisher

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts..

All reels I've been looking at/considering... Trinidads(in particular the Tn4o narrow), Toriums..

saltists..

Has certainly cleared some of the confusion on what all the number's mean..

Billfisher.. quite open to buying internationally..

including shipping the Penn's can come in around the $350 mark from the states... which is why they got my attention..

With the 500+ local price tag I'd reasonably expect them to be on par with the Trinidads and some of the Saltiga's etc..

more bang for buck perhaps? But nobody I know of seems to own one in order to vouch for their performance

AJ

Edited by throw me a fish

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts..

All reels I've been looking at/considering... Trinidads(in particular the Tn4o narrow), Toriums..

saltists..

Has certainly cleared some of the confusion on what all the number's mean..

Billfisher.. quite open to buying internationally..

including shipping the Penn's can come in around the $350 mark from the states... which is why they got my attention..

With the 500+ local price tag I'd reasonably expect them to be on par with the Trinidads and some of the Saltiga's etc..

more bang for buck perhaps? But nobody I know of seems to own one in order to vouch for their performance

AJ

personaly i use what some would calls as a cheap outfit but works very well

i have a shimano tsm4 (speedmaster) and that has 6:1 ratio and i have that on a 24kg 7' uglystick loaded with 80lb braid

this does most of my jigging from 15fat (30m) to 90fat (180m)

it pays to vary you speeds at time with somedays the king hitting nothing unless cranking the jigs flat out other days wanting more of a slow roll

even had them hit the jig mid water with no winding whist trying to take a break

Stepped out last night to have a look at some Saltists, and Shimano Toriums...

Nice, but really itching for the Trinidad T 40N (narrow) model...

Any thoughts on Trinidad vs. Saltiga?

now to decide which organ to sell :1fishing1: AJ

Stepped out last night to have a look at some Saltists, and Shimano Toriums...

Nice, but really itching for the Trinidad T 40N (narrow) model...

Any thoughts on Trinidad vs. Saltiga?

now to decide which organ to sell :1fishing1: AJ

The Saltiga is better built, more corrosion resistant, has a better drag and the gear ratios are a bit lower if that's what you prefer.

The Saltiga is better built, more corrosion resistant, has a better drag and the gear ratios are a bit lower if that's what you prefer.

Which saltiga's would you recommend in the ballpark of the Trinidad?

The Torium's felt nicer, smoother than the Saltists... and a little lighter..

Which saltiga's would you recommend in the ballpark of the Trinidad?

The Torium's felt nicer, smoother than the Saltists... and a little lighter..

Have a look at the 30 and 40 models. I have the Z30 myself.

Edited by billfisher

• 2 weeks later...

Well all I can say is that 4:1 is the best jigging ratio, also you need something that have smooth drag. I mean if you going to spend $300 you might as well spend a little but more to get a good one.

I personally like the Accurate reels also the JM reels they are really good for Jigging in the deep or shallow.

My reels all have been pimp up by Jigging Master in Taiwan.

Accurate 665N

post-7514-12769876443_thumb.jpg

Accurate 870N

post-7514-12769876701_thumb.jpg

Jigging Master PE

post-7514-127698767438_thumb.jpg

Well all I can say is that 4:1 is the best jigging ratio, also you need something that have smooth drag. I mean if you going to spend $300 you might as well spend a little but more to get a good one.

I personally like the Accurate reels also the JM reels they are really good for Jigging in the deep or shallow.

My reels all have been pimp up by Jigging Master in Taiwan.

Accurate 665N

post-7514-12769876443_thumb.jpg

Accurate 870N

post-7514-12769876701_thumb.jpg

Jigging Master PE

post-7514-127698767438_thumb.jpg

nice choice of reels u have there

did u also upgrade to the JMdocking set??

for mechincal jigging 4:1 is ideal

i jigged with a highspeed overhead a few weeks ago and couldnt get the rhythm going

the rod and jig just wouldnt get into the right action

the leather jackets didnt seem to mind

but for my style of jigging 4:1 is the only way to go

i have to agree with the boys in regards to the slow ratio ,its much much easier on the body

i have mainly jigged with spin but i also have a overhead avet 2speed matched to a saltiga rod

why i mention this when you switch from high to low gear the difference is unbelievable ,just so much harder on the arms

i used to like the high ration cause that's what i thought it had to be ,

i reckon the higher rations where better when we used those old glass 7ft broomsticks to jig with

i used a tsmIII for years,had to upgrade the drag though,still not enough

but my stella 8000pg is a 4.9 ratio ,no problems there at all

jigging for longer catches you more fish

the avets low gear is about 4 flat,again no drama,s there either

the jigging master reels are the pick in my eyes

the trouble with most overheads is the amount of drag they can dish out,thats why i went to a stella ,thats where the jm reels and the acurates ,excel,twin drag plates or something like that

the evet doesn't cut it in the drag department either

end of the day its your choice,and what your are comfortably with

just have a look at the jm range of reels maybe a pe5

about 500 i think

a mate of mine caught a 60kg yft on a pe5 jm earlier this year

like i said its your choice and your money have a look and buy what your happy with what ever that is,as theirs some awesome tackle around these days

cheers arman

Edited by mr magoo

nice choice of reels u have there

did u also upgrade to the JMdocking set??

for mechincal jigging 4:1 is ideal

i jigged with a highspeed overhead a few weeks ago and couldnt get the rhythm going

the rod and jig just wouldnt get into the right action

the leather jackets didnt seem to mind

but for my style of jigging 4:1 is the only way to go

Yea i also upgrade the JM Docking to increase the drag!

i have to agree with the boys in regards to the slow ratio ,its much much easier on the body

i have mainly jigged with spin but i also have a overhead avet 2speed matched to a saltiga rod

why i mention this when you switch from high to low gear the difference is unbelievable ,just so much harder on the arms

i used to like the high ration cause that's what i thought it had to be ,

i reckon the higher rations where better when we used those old glass 7ft broomsticks to jig with

i used a tsmIII for years,had to upgrade the drag though,still not enough

but my stella 8000pg is a 4.9 ratio ,no problems there at all

jigging for longer catches you more fish

the avets low gear is about 4 flat,again no drama,s there either

the jigging master reels are the pick in my eyes

the trouble with most overheads is the amount of drag they can dish out,thats why i went to a stella ,thats where the jm reels and the acurates ,excel,twin drag plates or something like that

the evet doesn't cut it in the drag department either

end of the day its your choice,and what your are comfortably with

just have a look at the jm range of reels maybe a pe5

about 500 i think

a mate of mine caught a 60kg yft on a pe5 jm earlier this year

like i said its your choice and your money have a look and buy what your happy with what ever that is,as theirs some awesome tackle around these days

cheers arman

Avet are starting to make a dual drag version (called raptor) of all models, but they are pricy. They already have the sx and hx model out. The downfall of the jigging master and avet dual drag reels are that both drag washers are on one side of the spool so when you crank it up it puts enormous pressure on one side of the reel and can cause unwanted twisting and tough to wind. Accurate reels have a dual drag system with a drag on either side of the spool, allowing a smooth drag even at high settings.

Daniel

Avet are starting to make a dual drag version (called raptor) of all models, but they are pricy. They already have the sx and hx model out. The downfall of the jigging master and avet dual drag reels are that both drag washers are on one side of the spool so when you crank it up it puts enormous pressure on one side of the reel and can cause unwanted twisting and tough to wind. Accurate reels have a dual drag system with a drag on either side of the spool, allowing a smooth drag even at high settings.

Daniel

i know the jm reels have the drag washers on either side of the spool and they dont jam under load like other lever drags do

cant speak for the acurates

cheers arman

i know the jm reels have the drag washers on either side of the spool and they dont jam under load like other lever drags do

cant speak for the acurates

cheers arman

Hey arman I was under the impression accurate only did either side, but never seen a jig master strip down so I'm probably wrong!

Hey arman I was under the impression accurate only did either side, but never seen a jig master strip down so I'm probably wrong!

then watch these videos :)

i think ill need to send my reels to slinky when its time for a service

no way am i taking them apart ha

Edited by Framedtrash

• 2 weeks later...