Manly Dam

Reeso

Whats fishing like in Manly Dam. Have read a few reports and sounds good for alot of freshwater fish but wanted to get some of you blokes opinions if any of you have been. What do you find works best up there? Lures, bread?

Wet a line by the Spit Bridge today, very quiet, Except for those juvenile snapper, I swear they follow me around.

I just threw them in the garbage bin on my way out. I dont want the garden smelling of rotting fish and I dont own or like cats so had no use for them. ^Your not allowed to let them go but, so if anyone finds any other use for them let me know.

Yeah, just down by those lilly pads near the dam wall. I casted a rod out for a bit and got nothing and then took some cornflakes, bit of bread and some clay and mixed it up and chuched it in. Immediately carp started surfacing everywhere eating the stuff off the surface. I cast one line out that was just some bread with no float or sinker. Caught one on this. Also cast out a lump of dough on a float and that was successful too. But they stopped biting towards midday.

Guest Jewel

I used to berly with creamed corn and flick out 4-5 pieces of tinned corn threaded on a smallish hook (about a no 5 I think).

Used to work a treat for killing time between apointments in Canberra!!!

wheres the best spot for redfin? My mate commented that right at theside of the dam wall where the water was deep and still looked the place, And wheres good for bass too?

I bought a little black and gold grasshopper type plug lure but couldnt cast it further than about 3 metres cos it is so light. I dont really have any experience fishing with lures, can anyone tell me how I am supposed to cast a really light lure? I have it rigged straight to the line with a swivel, I dont know if thats the right way, there is no weight, but I am sure you have to be able to cast it further than 2 to 3 metres.

Would this type of lure work for redfin? Its supposed to be made specifically for bass. My mate also said he used to catch redfin using the gills of other fish as bait, so theres a use for carp.

We've circumnavigated the dam a few times casting at every likely looking structure, for a few tiny redfin and estuary perch (well, they looked like EPs to me. I suppose they could have been bass) only. There are reasonable-sized carp in there, but I reckon there are much more productive places to go if you're after carp!

I didn't know the dam had been stocked. I guess it wasn't a particulary great location for stocking: it's way too easy to fish for too many people, resulting in lots of keep-the-lot types fishing there and bugger all population development. My experience with stocking programs (I work at a university) is that a lot of experimentation takes place: they look for spot that's easy to get to, chuck in a few hundred thousand fingerlings, and see what happens a couple of years down the track. Anyone know who stocked the dam?

BTW: first post. G'day all!

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider warpig.

I thought that fisheries does all the stocking... who else does it?

I know of a couple of occasions when universities have been given control of where stocking will occur. I don't recall the source of the fingerlings: they could have come from Fisheries, although I believe some private companies are paid to produce fingerlings for stocking by Fisheries. I've been a bit concerned in the past about the locations where some stocking have occurred: yeah, Manly dam full of bass would be brilliant, but what would be the probability of success there? All those hungry redfin and carp, and no access to saltwater...

Thanks for the welcome, I've been reading this site for quite a while as a guest, and thought I'd better sign up. It was the kingfish petition that was the key: the world has become a far better place since those murderous bloody things were banned.

I know for certain there is (hopefully) one murray cod in the dam!!!! I let one go 15 years ago I had been keeping in an aquarium when I moved OS. He/she was about 20cms so I hope that helped him/her survive cormorants etc etc. Cheers Bombie