Yellowfin On Long Weekend Off Sydney

Finally after all the bad weather and the water temperature off Sydney being more suited to marlin we saw the cooler water start to push in late last week which would hopefully hold some of the gold barrels that we have waiting for.

We had a charter booked for the Monday and with the weather looking like it would back off I gave a call to Y from Global Tackle in Kensington who along with his mates Michael, Frank, Tim and Jay had been dying to get out and chase some yellowfin.

When we picked up the guys from Rose Bay wharf at 8am they were armed with more jigging gear they Y has in his store and were keen to get stuck into it.

With the wind blowing solid out of the south west we did some jigging at the colours and then headed for the 12 mile. Both areas were very quiet so we headed wider and set a spread of lures. The radio was very quiet with no reports of fish in closer so after picking up a couple of striped tuna and a lone kingfish and listening to Jays stories of recently being in Tasmania and catching a 102kg Bluefin we were keen to find some big fin so headed wider and set a cube trail over the 1000 fathom line.

Before long we were marking some solid fish on the sounder and had some smaller fish in the trail but they were very shy even with the light leaders we were using.

We got Jay to drop a jig down and was straight into a fish which pulled the hook shortly after hook up. Again he jigged and straight into another fish on the Saltiga 5000 with 30lb braid which was screaming line off only in one direction, Jay had full drag on the fish and thumbing the spool to try and stop the fish it managed to win its freedom after busting the braid.

Shortly after Frank who had never game fished before was drifting a pillie out on one of the boys jig sticks and it soon began to pull some line very slowly. Frank was winding him in like childs play as the fish continued to swim up our cube trail munching on cubes until he saw the boat and all hell broke loose. Frank was hanging on for dear life as the little reel was screaming and the rod being able to bend no further as the fish headed for the depths. After 30 minutes poor Frank was hurting and with Jay coaching from the side he passed the rod over for Jay to continue the battle.

After his recent battle with the big bluefin he knew this was a good fish. After an hour we had colour but the fish continued to dive and pull more line off but Jay was battling on and giving it everything (even with the gimbal that didn’t fit him).

We had to start the boat and to keep him along side and numerous times we had him up on the surface only to get him to the 50lb leader and whilst trying to lead him to the gaff he would dive again and I would have to dump the leader as it streached to breaking point.

After an hour and forty minutes and with the sun setting Damien sank the gaff in as the fish again dived under the boat and he hung on, he forced the fish out and with a big lift hauled the beast over the side which a smile on everyones faces.

We took a few photos and cleaned up and headed for home. We got to the Sydney Game Fishing Club at Watsons Bay at around 7pm and Glen the club president happily weighed the fish for the boys. The fish pulled the scales at a respectable 46.1kg, a great fish on light tackle. Enjoy the pictures!

post-6936-127657885504_thumb.jpgpost-6936-127657887728_thumb.jpgpost-6936-127657888942_thumb.jpgpost-6936-127657884509_thumb.jpg

Glen was opening up for the boys on Strike Zone who were also bringing in a fish to weigh. Their fish a bigeye tuna ended up pulling the scales at 63kg a great fish again for Alistair & crew.

Also we had reports of 100kg+ Bluefin off Kiama yesterday so the fishing should continue to improve off Sydney.

It was great to have you all on board Reef Magic and I hope everyone had a great day and it is great to see some yellowfin back off Sydney.

Cheers Mike

Edited by Reef Magic Charters

Hi Ashley,

Yes good to see them around. We don't generally organise single charters but im happy for you to post on here and see if you can get a crew together. I know you have been interested in going out for a while & quite a few people on here have shown interest so hopefully you should get some feedback & get a group together if you put a post up. Unfortunately the weather is not looking to good for the weekend at the moment. If you get something organised I will give you first choice of days.

Cheers Mike

very cool! keep us posted if you ever do any single charters.

thanks

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I would be interested if you would like to put a crew together but for now

it would have to be a sunday as the kids play sports on saturday and more than likely

I can also get one other person that would be interested so pm me if you like.

Hi Herb yes it is a great fish considering it has been quiet off Sydney. That water is improving and should continue to hold fish. I think while they are on the move you will have trouble trying to pin them while trolling. I think most of the fish will be caught on cube.

Cheers Mike

I think you are on the money mate! We trolled until we found a decent temp break and got a solid strike and run on a deep diver halco laser 190 but unfortunately pulled the hooks. We found the break SE of browns, spotted birds diving and solid 20+ kg fish jumping out the water but they dissapeared and the weather was getting worse so we had to head back. We will find the break and then cube next time!

Cheers Herbie

Hi Herbie, its a bugger you didn't get that fish. I heard a few boats got fish around the 30kg mark yesterday cubing south of browns. I have had a look at the water charts today and whoever heads out tomorrow will catch fish i think wether they are north or south it looks great. I have things on tomorrow and cant fish but may head out on Sunday for a look around. I hope everyone (especially the little boats) keep an eye on that westerly though! As you know its great heading out with it but not much fun coming home!

Good luck if you get out.

Cheers Mike

Hi Ashley,

I would be interested if you would like to put a crew together but for now

it would have to be a sunday as the kids play sports on saturday and more than likely

I can also get one other person that would be interested so pm me if you like.

I would be interested on a Sunday as well - PM me if you guys are going to get a crew together.

Guys thanks for all the interest.. i am keeping an eye on the weather for Sunday and lets see how the fishing is tomorrow. I will keep you posted and if the fish are around i am happy to take a last minute charter for Sunday if we can get it together! If anyone is interested in fishing on Sunday PM me your names and mobile numbers and I will give you a call tomorrow.

Cheers Mike

Mike PM'ed me with

"The price is $1650 for the day - I would suggest a max of 5 people. Yes food is provided we do cold meat rolls generally chicken, ham etc with salad and all soft drinks provided. We also provide potato chips, there is always enough food.

We leave from Rose Bay Wharf normally around 8am and we fish till at least dark."

5 people = $330 each

4 people = $412.50 each

Ash