Need Help Picking A New Sounder

framedtrash

my little garmin combo just isnt cutting it for me any more so i want to upgrade

at the moment i plan on keeping the garmin as a standalone gps

im tossing up between the lowrance HDS7 and a Furuno FCV-620

max depth i fish is around 120mtrs i can source either unit for around the same price i have used the lowrance before and i like the units but the Furunos seem to be pretty popular too

i want a big easy to read screen with as much detail as possible

is there any other unit i should be looking at ?

Furuno have great electronics and transducers and are great for that sort of deeper water work. Trouble is the screen resolution is lousy and way behind the Lowrance. You've picked the right two certainly...go to a shop and play with both if you can. If you were'nt so deep I would be going the Lowrance and probably still would base more on taste than technicalities.

C.

Hi, I stock and sell both brands and both are good units that offer different things. As Chris mentioned the screen clarity goes to Lowrance, even though I would not call the Furuno lousy, it is just not as good as the Lowrance. Fishfinding and depth performance is where the Furuno shines and is about as good as you will get in this price range. I prefer the Furunos mounting bracket better and the feel of the controls-they feel better if you can understand what I mean-it is like a high end car vs entry level and the fell of the controls. If you like the thought of looking sideways with structure scan than Lowrance only offers this, but that is more useful in shallower waters and if you outboard is NMEA2000 the Lowrance can 'talk" to it if you want it to.

At the end of the day both are fine units and if it was my choice I would vote the Furuno out of those two. Contact me if you like and I can give you the Raider price on both units.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Leo, yes mate HB do also make a colour unit in this price bracket too and we stock these as well. The HB 858 is probably the best screen out of the three, is easy to use and only last week we rigged a SI version to a new boat and in the water it was a great unit. That said IMO in deeper water the Furuno and Lowrance still offer a bit more and as I say to people all the time budget will determine which brand you choose and what YOU want to do with it.

I can quote on all 3 and by the time money is factored in the Furuno being the cheapest of the three and probably the best in terms of deep water would still get my vote, unless you are wanting a combo which is what the other two offer, but are dearer.

Cheers,

Huey.

im leaning towards the lowrance

being the gadget freak that i am i no down the track i would like to add the sidescan

when fishing with BillyD he has a HDS5 on his boat and i was very impressed with how it performed and the resolution of the screen killed my little garmin (i blame Billy for making me upgrade)

i also like the fact that its NMEA2000 so i can easily add a fuel sensor if needed and link it up with my motor once i win the lottery and decide to upgrade

just need to go and check out the Furuno and see how it goes i do like all the easy tweaking you can do to them alot less button pressing then on the lowrance

i have a boat place next door to work that stocks both so ill go have a play at lunch

forgot to mention

tho i fish out to around 120mtrs most of my fishing is inshore mostly in the 10-70mtrs

Edited by Framedtrash

Hi Leo, yes mate HB do also make a colour unit in this price bracket too and we stock these as well. The HB 858 is probably the best screen out of the three, is easy to use and only last week we rigged a SI version to a new boat and in the water it was a great unit. That said IMO in deeper water the Furuno and Lowrance still offer a bit more and as I say to people all the time budget will determine which brand you choose and what YOU want to do with it.

I can quote on all 3 and by the time money is factored in the Furuno being the cheapest of the three and probably the best in terms of deep water would still get my vote, unless you are wanting a combo which is what the other two offer, but are dearer.

Cheers,

Huey.

Huey If one was looking for a new sounder to operate in the 10 - 60mt range would you still suggest the Furuno or one of the others

Geoff

G'day gents,

I am happy with the 620 except for a couple of issues. I used to own a Lowrance 515 so can make a reasonable comparison. I dislike the transducer bracket set-up and I have had problems with the unit coming up when I am travelling on the plane. Consequently, I lose a bottom reading at about 10knots and have to remember to push the unit down again to get an accurate bottom reading. The Lowrance gave me a reading at 30m even at full speed. I don't believe it is due to the installation as I have read of similar issues elsewhere. A poorly designed bracket would seem to be the cause. The Lowrance had an obvious temperature reading available when in normal fishfinder mode which was handy. The Furuno needs changing to data mode to get a temperature reading. Once you are travelling below 10knots, the Furuno goes great.

I am probably not technically minded enough to give a full performance comparison but these tips might be of some assistance.

Edit, I just read your link Geoff. I should have read it before typing the above message. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Edited by humesy

scrap that idea

new plan

im going to sell off my garmin and replace it with a big old lowrance

2 separate units on my dash is too much and i would never get around to wiring them up to talk to each other

keep a eye out in buy n sell for a cheap garmin finder/plotter with fuel sensor

Edited by Framedtrash

Huey If one was looking for a new sounder to operate in the 10 - 60mt range would you still suggest the Furuno or one of the others

Geoff

Hi Geoff, mate it all comes down to the amount of money a person wants to spend and if screen size and pixel count is important. In that type of depth I would look very serious at the HB 800 series and probably buy the SI version because until you use this Side Imagining you can not understand how good it is. Yes Raymarine are also very good units and i have a very special price on A70Ds at the moment.

As for your transducer Humesy, if it is an Airmar one, which i am sure it will be, there is a latch/catch on the bracket that mounts to the hull that needs to be fitted correctly and then no problems. Next time you are around here swing by and i can have a look. I ran a FCV-585 the other day after we fitted and at 45MPH she was fine.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

G'day gents,

I am happy with the 620 except for a couple of issues. I used to own a Lowrance 515 so can make a reasonable comparison. I dislike the transducer bracket set-up and I have had problems with the unit coming up when I am travelling on the plane. Consequently, I lose a bottom reading at about 10knots and have to remember to push the unit down again to get an accurate bottom reading. The Lowrance gave me a reading at 30m even at full speed. I don't believe it is due to the installation as I have read of similar issues elsewhere. A poorly designed bracket would seem to be the cause. The Lowrance had an obvious temperature reading available when in normal fishfinder mode which was handy. The Furuno needs changing to data mode to get a temperature reading. Once you are travelling below 10knots, the Furuno goes great.

I am probably not technically minded enough to give a full performance comparison but these tips might be of some assistance.

Edit, I just read your link Geoff. I should have read it before typing the above message. :biggrin2:

Cheers

although of topic,just thought id mention this

you dont need to change any screen settings to veiw the temp on the 620/585,s

you have an option of a temp graph or having just the temp figure on the screen all the time

Simon, I've currently got a Lowrance X515 fishfinder and a Garmin 72 GPS sitting beside it.

In my opinion it is superb, but I am seriously looking at a new Lowrance HDS7 combo which will allow me to add structure scan.Not sure if I need all this, but hey, what a toy.I am very impressed with the quality and technology of the Lowrance stuff and the components are able to be purchased separately if required, ie, new transducers etc.They also have a couple of different transducers to suit individual styles of fishing.

They have definately got my vote.

Cheers, Russ.