Floats

lesta

I think they are very imortant when usng most floats. But really it depends on the type of fishing you are doing. Ideally you want your floats under the water as much as possible, this way there is less resistance when the fish takes the bait and it does not struggle to take the float under. Some fish will drop the bait once they feel this resistance.

Lesta,

When I fish with floats for blackfish I use split shot on the line about 4 -5cm above hook to have just the top 2 -3cm of the float showing. Have done the same for freshwater.

Cheers

Trev

Just a further thought about sinkers on blackfish rigs. I find that keeping the sinkers on the line to a minimum works best. If you need to weight the float so that it is easily pulled under, wrap bigs of sheet lead around the bottom of the stem of the float.

All you really need to see of the float is the top of the stem.

I'm not a fan of split shot at all. I just use a single sinker under the float. Sometimes it takes a bit of experimenting to find the right sinker but once you know which sinkers go with which floats it all becomes pretty easy.

I'm not a fan of split shot at all.  I just use a single sinker under the float.  Sometimes it takes a bit of experimenting to find the right sinker but once you know which sinkers go with which floats it all becomes pretty easy.

44525[/snapback]

G'day,

Split shot is to be avoided if at all possible. Maybe one piece to get the float perfect in the water. If you make your own floats then its possible to construct them with the exact sinker in mind. Like Bashir I'm not a fan of split shot, ti just adds complication to what can be a very simple rig.

Matt