Centre Console

Guest Jocool

Guest Jocool

I know it may sound simple, but I'm trying to work out the best way to layout my centre console insofar as all the electronics go!

What I have at the moment is just the steering, a Lowrance sounder, and 3 gauges, Tacho, hour and fuel tank, and a 6 gang switch panel. I would like to be adding (as soon as finances permit, and I have time to actually do the work....) a GPS, VHF and 27MHZ as well as a AM/FM radio. And I may need another switch panel.

What advise can you DIYers offer as to what to do as well as NOT to do! And if you have a picture of your setup it would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

keep the radios and their mics away from any splash! A good idea is to flush mount them in a splash proof housing and have the microphones under the console or something like that. :thumbup: Some 12ft outriggers mounted on the sides of the console or better still on top of a mini targa top would be pretty cool. :1naughty:

Guest Jocool
Some 12ft outriggers mounted on the sides of the console or better still on top of a mini targa top would be pretty cool. :1naughty:

44475[/snapback]

I was planning on a targa, but that will be a bit later. And yes...I do want riggers on it! :1prop:

Guest bluecod

Mr Kingcool Sir, :1prop:

Couldn't agree more with Bashir in that you've got to have all your electrics, radios etc waterproof! Nothing more frustrating and possibly dangerous than to go to use the radio and have it short circuit on you. Consider an internal storage bay for the radios within the console with a lift up [or drop down] perspex hatch for them and the mics, with an external speaker.

If you're going to be running both 27 meg and VHF that means two antennae - these will have to be placed where they are not going to interfere too much with casting and playing of a good fish. Dual purpose antennae don't seem to work too well.

Another important consideration is a grab rail for the skipper - mine's mounted above and forward of the steering wheel, though side mounted ones seem to be popular as well. Also give some thought to vertical rod storage along the sides of the console or as Bash also said "outrigger mounts".

After you've got it all set up and working nicely, I can guarantee you're going to get caught out in a storm - get a clear plastic raincoat made for it, one that allows you to still operate the boat but keeps all your instrumentation and electrics dry.

as to for the outriggers just make sure the top is hard enough and it can handle the extra weight with minimum flex.

id be more inclined to mount the riggers off the sides unless you are going to put in a moulded hard top as part of the console.

the benefit of running the riggers off the gunwales would be you could run bigger poles and have a bigger spread.

You would reduce the height of the riggers by running them off the gunwhales.

There has to be a compromise between spread and height.

Id personally sacrafice some spread to get my leaders out of the water, and my lures working better.

But i dont think the riggers are placed that high on Joe's list of things to do !

Chris

Guest Jocool
  But i dont think the riggers are placed that high on Joe's list of things to do !

Chris

44515[/snapback]

Spot on Chris. :thumbup:

As far as the riggers go, I was either thinking of mounting them on the guwhale, but I prefer on the Targa (which is yet to be built)!

The way I see it, if mounting on the gunwhale, I lose the ability to fish the whole way round the boat. That is why I got my boat as a tiller rather than a runabout. Riggers are still a while of yet.