Removing Steering Wheel On My Quintrex?!?!?!

out n about

Hi Raiders,

I was wondering if anyone out there knows how to remove the steering wheel?

I have unbolted the nut that was attached to the screw but it seems that the steering wheel is stuck on? Is there a special way of taking it off?

I have a 1998 Quintrex if that helps and below are 2 attached pic of the steering wheel.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

post-620-127761954675_thumb.jpg

post-620-12776195775_thumb.jpg

If that is the washer I see, take it off as well.. Then you may find you need a puller.. i have had the same problem with mine.. Sometimes you can get in behind with a punch or a block of wood and just belt it.. but a puller would be best..

GOOD LUCK :biggrin2:

Hi, it will be stuck on the taper and spray some penetrating fluid into it and if you can not get a puller, put the nut back on till it is flush with the shaft, so that you do not damage the thread, and hit with a hammer while someone else if pulling-they usaully pop off then although some times you need to destroy the steering wheel to get off.

Cheers,

Huey.

The best way to remove the steering wheel is to put the nut back on till it is at-least half on then with the palm of your hands hit the wheel on opposite sides nice and hard with your palm for about half a dozen times.

As has already been mentioned the steering wheel is on a taper and all you need to do is break the hold on the taper.

Generally doing this will release it about 99% of the time, if this fails to dis-lodge it then by placing you hands on opposite sides of the wheel and grabbing firmly you then need to give it a quick tug towards you (this is why you need the nut on as you do not want it to hit you in the head :D).

thank you guys for your quick replys :biggrin2:

i was guessing that is the most common way of doing it but i just wanted to confirm it with some of in just in case i was doing it wrong.

looks like i will be spending some time in the garage tonight attempting to get it off.

thanks again.

Dave

Great fun taking off old steering wheels. Lots of penetrating oil and persistence should get it off. The wheel is held on with a woodruff key on the taper ( which stops the wheel turning around on the taper ) this is where it normally gets stuck. Anyway good luck.

no luck at all :thumbdown:

it got to the stage where i thought i was going to bend the shaft. to top it off my steering has stiffend up as well so spent some time trying tot fix that to no avail. i think it needs a new cable!!

ahh well looks like a trip to the pros as they will spend a few hours on it and get it done properly.

thanks for checking up.

cheers,

Dave

no luck at all :thumbdown:

it got to the stage where i thought i was going to bend the shaft. to top it off my steering has stiffend up as well so spent some time trying tot fix that to no avail. i think it needs a new cable!!

ahh well looks like a trip to the pros as they will spend a few hours on it and get it done properly.

thanks for checking up.

cheers,

Dave

Save your dollars mate, take it to Huey, he is the pro.

Pedro (littledinghy)

Hi, get someone to hold both sides of the wheel, pull back, leave nut on few turns, using either brass drift or block of hard wood on shaft, give few good hits in on shaft and wheel should shock free, works for me on trucks and my old boats in the past.

hi all,

once again for a few minutes last night i tired to hammer it off as instructed by everyone but still to no avail. i think i may have to have a better go on the weekend :biggrin2:

thanks for all the responses.

cheers

Dave

hey dave i've been watching this post with interest and the above post are what i would have tryed but you seem to have hit the wall so to speek

time to try magic in a can it's a shell product that can only be sorsed through eng. not avalable to the public

i have a can at home and one at work if you would like some this stuff is magic and works in 5 min.and makes all uther producs i have uses look like a joke and so it should at $60.00 per can :1yikes:

mate give me a ring on 0438264377 cherrs gary

Hello all,

Just an update on my steering wheel issues. I have pulled the boat out to start up and I had the determination within to get this darn steering wheel off before I called brickman tomorrow.

After undoing the bolt on the shaft and having it level, I proceeded to hit it about 3-6 time, applying [pressure with my hand behind the wheel!!!

GUESS WHAT???? IT POPPED OFF :yahoo::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

I thank you so much to everyone for all your help and advice. I am happy it is off and I have now greased it and installed it again.

Thanks again everyone. :thumbup:

Dave

good news dave but instead off grease use a product called never seaze it's a zinc product used in the mining industry

the can comes with a brush attached to the lid it's a silvery grey colour it's the ducks gutts as the name surgests never seaze

cheers gary