T Curve/saltist Combo?

AndrewNR

I have been looking at buying a t curve deep jig 500. It looks great and feels light more like a 10kg stick but with so much more grunt. I was looking at matching it up with the saltist 6500 spin reel which is a very solid reel with heaps of grunt and drag power. Been looking for a while and as this is really a jigging rod I may use this set up for other styles of fishing such as baiting for bigger fish etc. Any ideas if this set up is the one for me or is there a better option for me as these items are not cheap. Any ideas will be appreciated. Cheers Andrew

Edited by cant catch any

nothing wrong with that set up. if you're not intending to jig very deep waters, you can got with the 400 t-curve.

also depending line class you're using, you may find the drag a bit light if you want to use very heavy line. the exceler da has 15kg as oppose to 10kg on the saltist. work out which line strength you want to use b4 deciding

you can also look at the daiwa catalina rods too. both are similarly priced...i think =p

What type of fish and likly fish are targeting, the reason i ask is if you jigging for kings in Sydney that rod would be way over kill for the job and you will struggle to get a bend in that rod, for Sydney the 200 will be ok for the job and 400 if you feel like you need a heavier rod. The reel will be fine and a lot of ppl have been giving it good reviews.

What type of fish and likly fish are targeting, the reason i ask is if you jigging for kings in Sydney that rod would be way over kill for the job and you will struggle to get a bend in that rod, for Sydney the 200 will be ok for the job and 400 if you feel like you need a heavier rod. The reel will be fine and a lot of ppl have been giving it good reviews.

i think for jigging, people like to use reels with alot lower gear ratio 4/3/1, 4/9/1,

i think saltist spin is 6/2/1 more of a surface pelagic reel for deep water where the fish can run without worrying about getting busted on the bottom and its alot quicker to get your line back but loses (grunt torque pulling power) which is needed to stop the kingies from reefing you, correct me if im wrong guys.

as already said the tcurve 500 is way too heavy for sydney waters

and its a broom stick way too stiff esp if your new too jigging if you want to stick with a tcurve go with the 200

the saltists are nice reels but i think the gear ratio is too fast would be fine for live baiting and throwing lures but for jigging you will find you will get tired too quickly esp if your using a big stiff 500gm rod

if you want to get into jigging i would save up a little more money and get a saragosa gear ratio is good 4.9-1

I like the saragosa. Just looked it up. In the bluewater ugly stick range does anyone have any experience with them. Are they any good? They are all rated well just don't know how they peform. Thanks

Sorry mate, didn’t know the Saltist 6500 was a high speed, but as stated above low speed is definitely what you want for jigging. Jigging is harsh on gear and addictive, it is advisable to really research what you are after so you won’t be upgrading any time soon. What sort of budget have you got for a set?

Cheers

if you want a really nice rod but dont want to spend the big bucks

Jigging master have a new lower spec rod out called the Ocean God

only prob is you cant get them here but there only $300 + shipping

would be a great rod without paying top dollar

Mate steer clear of the t-curve. Not a bad rod for the money.... But as others have said very stiff and broom stick like! I have a T-curve 400 spin. I have caught a lot of Kings on it to approx 10kg. Even in shallow water i tend to use big jigs (300-400g). I didn't think it was that bad until i tried a mates Catalina. What a difference! I would highly recomend a rod with a parabolic action and the T-curves definitely don;t have that! as it makes it so much easier and less tiring on the angler.

If you shop around you can get the Catalinas for a pretty good price and not that much more (maybe less) than the t-curves.

I have since upgraded to a JM Power Spell which is something else! I can jig comfortably for several hours on 300/400g jigs without getting too tired - unless i'm catching lots of fish then i get knackered pretty quickly :biggrin2:

In terms of the reel - i agree on the Saragosa. I have an 18000 and at the right price (again make sure you shop around $370ish) they are a very good reel. I have also heard good things about the Okuma Sallina 16000.

As others have said - it pays to do some serious research and to buy as top end as you can afford as otherwise you will find yourself wanting to upgrade pretty quickly.

As has also been pointed out - Jigging is highly addictive and you will become obsessed. That moment when you first get nailed by a decent fish will stay with you forever. You go to do your upstroke of your jigging action and suddenly there is some serious hurt coming at you from the other end and the drag starts squealing! Priceless...

Good luck with it and if you need anymore advice feel free to pm me.

Cheers

Jim

Mate steer clear of the t-curve. Not a bad rod for the money.... But as others have said very stiff and broom stick like! I have a T-curve 400 spin. I have caught a lot of Kings on it to approx 10kg. Even in shallow water i tend to use big jigs (300-400g). I didn't think it was that bad until i tried a mates Catalina. What a difference! I would highly recomend a rod with a parabolic action and the T-curves definitely don;t have that! as it makes it so much easier and less tiring on the angler.

If you shop around you can get the Catalinas for a pretty good price and not that much more (maybe less) than the t-curves.

I have since upgraded to a JM Power Spell which is something else! I can jig comfortably for several hours on 300/400g jigs without getting too tired - unless i'm catching lots of fish then i get knackered pretty quickly :biggrin2:

In terms of the reel - i agree on the Saragosa. I have an 18000 and at the right price (again make sure you shop around $370ish) they are a very good reel. I have also heard good things about the Okuma Sallina 16000.

As others have said - it pays to do some serious research and to buy as top end as you can afford as otherwise you will find yourself wanting to upgrade pretty quickly.

As has also been pointed out - Jigging is highly addictive and you will become obsessed. That moment when you first get nailed by a decent fish will stay with you forever. You go to do your upstroke of your jigging action and suddenly there is some serious hurt coming at you from the other end and the drag starts squealing! Priceless...

Good luck with it and if you need anymore advice feel free to pm me.

Cheers

Jim

couldnt agree more :Funny-Post: hahaha

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking at buying a t curve deep jig 500. It looks great and feels light more like a 10kg stick but with so much more grunt. I was looking at matching it up with the saltist 6500 spin reel which is a very solid reel with heaps of grunt and drag power. Been looking for a while and as this is really a jigging rod I may use this set up for other styles of fishing such as baiting for bigger fish etc. Any ideas if this set up is the one for me or is there a better option for me as these items are not cheap. Any ideas will be appreciated. Cheers Andrew

mate i been looking at this reel also, with so many people responding, does anyone have any thoughts about Silstar Crystal Blue Power Tip Rod Model CB-601JSH - Heavy Jig Spin. ive heard they are great rods from shops.....was thinking t curve also but people arent giving the deep jig a massive wrap

I have a saltist 6500 spin reel which i use mainly for jigging. Its been a great reel, i have pulled up many kings jigging from offshore reefs sydney and terrigal. Kings have ranged in sizes from 65-95cm. I find the gear ratio gives me a good rhythm for mechanical jigging and can retrieve the jigs up fairly quickly from the deep when i have to pull up.

Its got 15kg of drag which i have never had to use past 8-10kg for the fish ive caught. With regards to the torque or pulling power its been adequate and i can get the fish up quickly without tiring out too much. My style of fighting these kings is to lift then wind... lift then wind... so the rod is doing most of the pulling not the reel. I do appreciate the speed and ease at which it retrieves jigs from 100m or so when you have to pull up.

My only issue with the reel is that its quite big and heavy. My other option would be a catalina 4500 which is smaller but less max drag, i would prob sacrifice max drag pressure for a lighter smaller setup which will really make a difference when your jigging for 5-6hr straight. if you go pe3-4 line you could prob get 300m line on with the catalina.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the saltist 4500 and upgraded the drag with carbontex washers. I also got the shimano deep jig 400 as it is a 2 piece and is easier to take on the plane. I loaded it with 250m of 50lb braid, 20m of mono 50lb backing and have put on a 80lb wind on leader that is 10m long. It looks and feels like a great set up and will pull most fish. The only concern for me is the drag pressure which I tested and got 13kg pressure. Not as much as the saltist 6500's 30kg pressure but i liked having the smaller reel as jigging for ages can be tiring. Thanks again for the help.

Cheers Andrew.

13kg is actually pretty good, considering the Saltiga 4500 only comes stock with 10kg or so, i would say ater C-tec up grade it will sit somewhere the same as your 13kg.

You will find 13 is ample for most fish, even when I go to Perth on my yearly Sambo jigging bash I only load the reels with 12kg max and fish your encountering 20kg plus Samson fish and 12kg has been more the ample.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting the saltist 4500 and upgraded the drag with carbontex washers. I also got the shimano deep jig 400 as it is a 2 piece and is easier to take on the plane. I loaded it with 250m of 50lb braid, 20m of mono 50lb backing and have put on a 80lb wind on leader that is 10m long. It looks and feels like a great set up and will pull most fish. The only concern for me is the drag pressure which I tested and got 13kg pressure. Not as much as the saltist 6500's 30kg pressure but i liked having the smaller reel as jigging for ages can be tiring. Thanks again for the help.

Cheers Andrew.

Hi Andrew, you could prob fit a whole 300m spool of 50lb on that reel if instead of using 50m of 50lb backing you just use a bit of electrical tape to tape around the spool before you load up the braid.

you should really try to get as much line onto that reel as possible

250mtrs is fine untill you get bitten off a few times by jackets

as the amount of line on the spool reduces your gear ratio also changes and it will take longer for your jig to hit the bottom as it will be hitting the lip of the spool

as Dangas has said some electrical tape around the spool is all you really need when i use mono backing i only use about 4-5mtrs worth just enough to give a few wraps around the spool

as for the drag 13kg is great i run around 6kg on my light outfit and this is more then enough for all the kings its caught so far