Found Some Fish

Josh88

Decided that not getting on the water since February was probably a bit too long for my liking and with uni holidays decided to do an arvo session on the harbour, so called up Mikey (Browney1) and met him at roseville where we got going, tried a few spots for squid but as usual no interest so thought we'd head outside for a flick with some plastics for snapper seeing it was so calm. Was surprisingly greeted with birds going ballistiic in the distance, went in for a look and find a heap of small salmon busting up, trolled and cast for ages but when they're feeding on stuff thats less than an inch long theres not much you can do to tempt them. Did find a school of somthing else nearby and i thought they were frigates as they were feeding very fast chopping through the water. It was very hard to keep up with them and actually get a decent shot infront of the school, eventually I got a good one in on Mike's little Tierra outfit and found this thing gave a bloody good account of itself, after a good 10 minutes or so of runs and circling I've got my very first Striped tuna to the boat, not a big fish in length but this thing was like a torpedo must of been near 4kg. We tried to get some more but the school went down and the salmon weren't playing ball so we headed in.

post-6719-12780553541_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Josh

Good work man, i was out chasing those schools around north head yesterday, didnt see any salmon, just heaps and heaps of big slimy mackeral! Got heaps of them, they didnt seem fussy, a 7g searock metal in pilchard was doing the damage, got 1 small one the size of a king sized marsbar, whacked him down under the school expecting to at least get smashed by a shark -- lasted about 2 mins before the jackets stole my rig. FURIOUS!! goo work!!! Well done on the tuna though man

Good work man, i was out chasing those schools around north head yesterday, didnt see any salmon, just heaps and heaps of big slimy mackeral! Got heaps of them, they didnt seem fussy, a 7g searock metal in pilchard was doing the damage, got 1 small one the size of a king sized marsbar, whacked him down under the school expecting to at least get smashed by a shark -- lasted about 2 mins before the jackets stole my rig. FURIOUS!! goo work!!! Well done on the tuna though man

Thanks dicko, the slimies were around as well, I need to stock up on metals though, lost a fair few to tailor over summer. I've found the gillies ones work real well, get bent pretty easy though. Gotta sort out stuff with the boat rego and other crap before I head back out though.

Congrats on your first Stripey, Josh.

Next time you find the salmon working on 'eyes'... if you don't have a fly rod try a 1" powerbait micro with a small dropshot hook just through the nose. Cast it out and fish it dead in the water. The other option is to try going completely the other way and put on a 5" or even 7" SlugGo which sometimes works.

And if all else fails, take a wig so at least you can replace all the hair you pull out. :biggrin2:

Cheers, Slinky