Harbour Blackfish-Couple Of Trips

rickster

Headed out with Steve(slam354) in the harbour on saturday. Fished just west of the bridge as we'd got a dozen or so there last week. Started very well, couple of fish straight away but by 8.00am it just died. We put it down to the water being too clear with constant westerlies. We left there there with only 3 and made the trip up to Abbotsford to fish better water and the top of the tide. Had to work hard as the bloody south-wester was blowing across us making it difficult to fish. Ended up with another seven good fish so still made it worthwhile. Steve was even lucky enough to hook a double. This is where the long brown weed came into their own. Both fish managed to get caught up in the weed right at our feet. We could still see one of them flapping around but the other was gone. Steve tried his best but both fish ended up with full freedom. Still not a bad day in trying conditions. I was silly enough to back up on the sunday. Wind was as bad as saturday so found myself a nice little sheltered area out of the breeze, put a bit of burley in and fish straight away. Water was pretty clear, sun was out but fish didn't seem to mind. Although there was plenty of wharf structure for them to hide, I found them biting a bit wider. I was fishing about 15 foot in probably 40 foot of water but fish still kept biting. Gave it away just after lunch, ended up with 16 in about 5 hours plus dropped a few. I guess there goes part of the "clear water" theory. Pic of yesterdays fish.

post-11436-127828261821_thumb.jpg

Guest rzep

Nice bag there Rick.

I will have to get out there and give the Blackies ago myself this season. Never tried them :)

Good on ya Rick, well done fellas. Makes em all the more worthwhile when ya catch em in trying conditions!

I'm kickin myself now, I was goin to fish the harbour on Saturday and decided at the last minute to try the Georges.......not a fish, a couple of downs but not a single fish!

Cheers,

Smitty...