Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished early this morning off Lilli Pilli. Managed 3 red gurnard and a fat 33cm flounder. Little reddies no where near legal size, and a few trevally less than 15 cm, taking the big baits. Catching gurnard usually means not much is about, as they are one of the last fish to find your bait on the bottom. I suppose that is what happens when they walk over the bottom on their leg-like appendages rather than swimming all the time.

Saw some birds diving, so motored over to them and spun up a salmon 50 to 55cm, released, and dropped another when the hook pulled.

Tried soft plastics for nothing, hooked floating weed just about every cast. Tried drifting with nippers for a couple of little whiting, mostly no bites and nothing to be seen swimming in the clear water over the flats.

Yowie.

mate you are right about it being quiet on the water. I was out on saturday about midday fishing off lilli pilli and couldnt lose a bait. Stayed there for 2 hours but with the southerly blowing the anchor kept pulling.... Went to a couple of deeper spots and still the fishing was slow. Decided to try around the moored boats in yowie bay and it seemed that all the fish were congregated around the one boat. On the first cast towards the boat my mate hooked up a kingie. After a good fight he brought it up to the boat only to pull the hook as i was about to net it! The next few casts fooked up a 50cm trevally and 3 bream, largest at 35cm. I managed to hook up another kingie but it went straight for the moorings and busted me off. After that it all went quiet. I was lucky to finally come home with a feed. Its the slowest it has been in a long time. I guess with the pressure up at around 1025 didnt help anything.

I'll try to get the photos of the fish up once i get them off my mate.

Edited by tumra

winter fishing has begun i was out last friday arvo got a large supply of fesh self caught squid downrigged a few only for salmon and tailor. towards gymea bay still a few kings around by the sounds of tumra's report i'll be back out friday might try and find those elusive winter kings

mate you are right about it being quiet on the water. I was out on saturday about midday fishing off lilli pilli and couldnt lose a bait. Stayed there for 2 hours but with the southerly blowing the anchor kept pulling.... Went to a couple of deeper spots and still the fishing was slow. Decided to try around the moored boats in yowie bay and it seemed that all the fish were congregated around the one boat. On the first cast towards the boat my mate hooked up a kingie. After a good fight he brought it up to the boat only to pull the hook as i was about to net it! The next few casts fooked up a 50cm trevally and 3 bream, largest at 35cm. I managed to hook up another kingie but it went straight for the moorings and busted me off. After that it all went quiet. I was lucky to finally come home with a feed. Its the slowest it has been in a long time. I guess with the pressure up at around 1025 didnt help anything.

I'll try to get the photos of the fish up once i get them off my mate.

Will be like this for a while now, until the temperature starts to rise. A report in the Daily Telegraph fishing section stated there are big whiting, bream, trevally over the Lilli Pilli flats at night. When I looked during the day, I only saw a couple of small whiting and bait stealing toads. The salmon I found had rounded up a school of small anchovies, so your couple of fish may have found another school of bait.

Edited by yowie