When I Was A Kid.....

GregL

When I was a kid I had my trusty old red hand caster and when we went outside I had my fav yellow one loaded with 40lb mono.

These days they fish with custom rods and tournament reels! :1yikes:

Lucky buggers better look after them!!! <_<

post-3563-127847649796_thumb.jpg

post-3563-127847653175_thumb.jpg

post-3563-127847656843_thumb.jpg

post-3563-127847660408_thumb.jpg

post-3563-127847662939_thumb.jpg

post-3563-127847664943_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mr rod builder for another set of master pieces!

Greg

OMG!! :1yikes: :1yikes: Miller Rods for KIDS?? What Next??

When I was a kid, we used a glass Coca Cola bottle with line tied onto it & caught moses perch, bream, flatties, whiting & anything else that got close enough to it up at Maroochydore - more often than not, on the local shrimp that we scooped with a net!! It is still one of the easiest casting reels for kids invented yet!! Just point the base of the bottle at the water, swing the line with hook & sinker on it a couple of times (check behind you first, to make sure no one will get hit) & launch it! Very effective! Also you can store a few hooks & small sinkers inside it for bust-offs. We used to use corks in the top of the bottle in those days to secure the hooks - now you just screw the cap back on & secure the hooks to the cap 'security ring'! If you dropped the 'reel' into the water with a fish on it - just pick the bottle up (it floats) and wind it back in! For big fish ( if in a boat) you can actually drop the bottle in the water & follow it as the fish soon tires, dragging this extra resistance thru the water! Then pick it up & wind it in!!

Or we used a Ned Kelly - a stick with a length of line tied onto the end! Very effective for small fish & small kids.

I was never any good casting with those plastic thingos!!!

Cheers

Roberta

Ah yes. Bobbin' for yellas with an 8ft length of bamboo that was 'pinched' from Mum's supply in the back yard, which eventually graduated to a black queen/mitchell reel and a Bonnie Doon/Crouch reel. And I thought my outfits were the ducks' guts back then! :074:

The kids are getting incredibible outfits and, with a little guidance from Dad, are bound to land some very memorable fish. I look forward to a report featuring smiling faces and the new outfits VERY soon. The 'sunset red' of a nice snapper would go nicely with those colors, Greg :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

AND they are personalised with each Kid's name on them!! :yahoo: :yahoo: No squabbling over who gets what rod! Very cunning!!! :1prop:

Roberta

Hey Hodgey, I'm still using a black queen now!! Does that make me an antique? :074: Don't answer that!! :wacko:

When I was a kid my dad had his own toackle shop in Forster Tuncurry and I grew up building my own rods and having dad make me some crackers as well.We even had a rod building machine at home . They were happy days. These days I don't have any kids of my own so fortunately I can afford some Pretty nice gear , bought a Fireblood an Exist and a Exist Hyper Branzino about 2 weeks ago , now it's happy days again.

Awesome Greg :1yikes:

Just in passing I thought I should let you know that I'm open to adoption. That looks a whole lot more special than the Black Queen Deluxe that also graced the 'tackle cupboard' in my youth!

Beautiful work on those rods :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing some smiling faces and big fish in posts.

Cheers, Slinky

Hey Greg, just noticed

Jeremy,Jordan, Joshua & Jack...didn;t you learn the alphabet at school :biggrin2:just joking,I suppose as you hand clothes down they will all still have the right initials. Great looking rods, I thought I was spoiling my kids with $20 ****** specials.

Cheers

Hey Greg, just noticed

Jeremy,Jordan, Joshua & Jack...didn;t you learn the alphabet at school :biggrin2:just joking,I suppose as you hand clothes down they will all still have the right initials.

Cheers

LOL

My brother also has Jasmine and Jessie! :biggrin2:

I'm the black sheep in the family so I had to have at least 1 different and have a Sophie ^_^

Greg