Forster Lures

Meh

I'm going up to Forster next week for a few days fishing both land based and from a boat, can anyone recommend some lures (sp's or hardbodys) that they have had success with up there?

I wont be targeting any species specifically but was thinking mostly bream/flathead/whiting etc. Possibly the odd 20kg Jew but only if there is time.....

Also is it worth having a go throwing metal slugs from the break wall?

G'Day mate , I grew up in Forster and my dad had a tackle store there, so I have fished it a lot. Fishing with Shallow diving atomics over the weedbeds and along the shorelines can produce some great flatties and bream , as for plastics, the gulp grubs and shrimp have worked well for me in the natural colours they are great to cast around the washboards on the oyster leases and off the shoreline . If your targeting bream I would cast along those washboards and over the patchy weed areas in the paddock, use light jigheads 1\16th or less . flattys will be found in the paddock as well but I would be using a heavy 1\8th or so jighead to maxamise your casting distance and contact with the bottom . Blades work well around the bridge and the sandbanks around that area , but fishing the bridge can be hard on a big tide due to the strong current . The whiting might be a bit tougher in the winter , but your still a chance . Usually I fish for them solely with surface lures but I only do this in the warmer months , it's just to cold for consistant fishing on the surface IMO. Consistant fish can be found around the oyster leases that you can see as you drive over the bridge , you are a good chance if you cover those areas with your plastics . The Breakwall at Forster is a great spot for jew , but you will need some really heavy jigheads or internally waited plastics , heavy leader as well . The current going out the breakwall is really strong so if you fish with something like a slick rigg it will often just get washed out as fast as you can wind in the slack , fish the wall around the turn a hour or so each side. Metals can work off there but im not sure whats around at the moment , anyway I would be casting for a jew , it's hard work but if you get one it will be 10kg plus , you don't see many small ones getting caught .

Good luck and tight lines

G'Day mate , I grew up in Forster and my dad had a tackle store there, so I have fished it a lot. Fishing with Shallow diving atomics over the weedbeds and along the shorelines can produce some great flatties and bream , as for plastics, the gulp grubs and shrimp have worked well for me in the natural colours they are great to cast around the washboards on the oyster leases and off the shoreline . If your targeting bream I would cast along those washboards and over the patchy weed areas in the paddock, use light jigheads 1\16th or less . flattys will be found in the paddock as well but I would be using a heavy 1\8th or so jighead to maxamise your casting distance and contact with the bottom . Blades work well around the bridge and the sandbanks around that area , but fishing the bridge can be hard on a big tide due to the strong current . The whiting might be a bit tougher in the winter , but your still a chance . Usually I fish for them solely with surface lures but I only do this in the warmer months , it's just to cold for consistant fishing on the surface IMO. Consistant fish can be found around the oyster leases that you can see as you drive over the bridge , you are a good chance if you cover those areas with your plastics . The Breakwall at Forster is a great spot for jew , but you will need some really heavy jigheads or internally waited plastics , heavy leader as well . The current going out the breakwall is really strong so if you fish with something like a slick rigg it will often just get washed out as fast as you can wind in the slack , fish the wall around the turn a hour or so each side. Metals can work off there but im not sure whats around at the moment , anyway I would be casting for a jew , it's hard work but if you get one it will be 10kg plus , you don't see many small ones getting caught .

Good luck and tight lines

Cheers Dan,

Looks like I've got bases covered in terms of lures.

A nice jewie would be a welcome addition, Ill be sure to give it a try!

haha Slinky - I usually spot Forster posts! :biggrin2:

Top info there, Dan!! Also, squidgie fish 'silver fox' work well with flatties too - specially if you can get between the racks!

Those atomics are working really well at the moment on bream - don't be afraid to move them slow, with plenty of pauses .... then throw in a fast bit, just for a change!~

Lots of australian salmon schooling off the beaches too - I watched 2 schools move along the Main Beach, well within casting distance. Small shiney metal slugs would go well for them!

They are catching quality bream from the breakwall, too, down towards the ocean end.

I've had jewie hits on the wall using live worms (put a whole one on with lots of dangling bits) they are like jellybeans to jews! :biggrin2: Also tailor fillets or even blackfish fillets. A few weeks ago, they were 'on' on the Tuncurry side - folk catching them all day!

I hope to be out in the yak at some stage - so if you see a grey Hobie Sport & a person with a 'holey hat' it could be me!!

Cheers

Roberta

haha Slinky - I usually spot Forster posts! :biggrin2:

Top info there, Dan!! Also, squidgie fish 'silver fox' work well with flatties too - specially if you can get between the racks!

Those atomics are working really well at the moment on bream - don't be afraid to move them slow, with plenty of pauses .... then throw in a fast bit, just for a change!~

Lots of australian salmon schooling off the beaches too - I watched 2 schools move along the Main Beach, well within casting distance. Small shiney metal slugs would go well for them!

They are catching quality bream from the breakwall, too, down towards the ocean end.

I've had jewie hits on the wall using live worms (put a whole one on with lots of dangling bits) they are like jellybeans to jews! :biggrin2: Also tailor fillets or even blackfish fillets. A few weeks ago, they were 'on' on the Tuncurry side - folk catching them all day!

I hope to be out in the yak at some stage - so if you see a grey Hobie Sport & a person with a 'holey hat' it could be me!!

Cheers

Roberta

Thanks for the help. I've got some atomics and squidgy fish, sounds like I'm set.

I'm actually a bit disappointed, now I don't have an excuse to go and buy more lures :074:

Ahhh who am I kidding, off to the tackle shop....

Cheers,

Meh

Feel free, Meh & Cutloose to give me your actual dates & contact number - if I am available, it would be good to meet up for a fish!! I'll even show you some of my consistent spots!! Are you into blackfish at all? The lake is full of them. Top eating fish with a really honest fight!

Roberta