The Peak 17/07/10

Zdenk01

Hi Raider,

Went out to the Peak for a jig this morning armed with 20 jigs expecting jackets or bust offs.

Jigged for approx 2hrs. Hell this is hard work, sounder was showing fish & heaps of them.

My jigs must have been butt ugly, not a single touch

anyways this wont be the last, hard work for a big dounut.

spoke to the charter guys out there they had same result

Edited by ALPHABET

Hi Raider,

Went out to the Peak for a jig this morning armed with 20 jigs expecting jackets or bust offs.

Jigged for approx 2hrs. Hell this is hard work, sounder was showing fish & heaps of them.

Hi Alphabet,

I've had days like that. Next time take some livies with you as it can be a total turn around. Good to see the fish are there anyway. Good luck next trip.

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raider,

its always worth taking out a few livies we had same problem other week good shows but werent hitn the jigs,

it is hard work if u have a broomstick rod ive since upgraded my jigging combo weighs only 790grams with 42lb braid line on it, makes jigging easy but very costly set up :biggrin2:

Getting livies in winter is easier said than done, especially if you heading out from Botany Bay. Dead baits on a patternoster rig will also snare kingies if they are not taking jigs or are not schooled up enough to make jigging a proposition.

PS: are you sure the sounder shows were kingies? Do you have a colour sounder?

Hi billfisher,

You said that so casually, "are you sure they were kings". I have a Lowrance colour sounder, all the fish around the peak tend to show as big solid bait balls with the occasional arch.

I went out today, second attempt at jigging for kings. First attempt - 7 hours of back breaking work, today 3 hours.

Any tips would be fantastic. Even if they are not at the Peak now, hypothetically, how would kings look on a colour sounder?

Would like to learn more specifics about the Peak so I don't have to keep explaining to the :wife: why I fall asleep exhausted at 8pm and don't have any fish to show for it ;)

I have been jigging for some years - my 2 cents worth - was out there on the 10th July, had a good look around and saw lots of fish on pinicles but none of them were kings, all rubbish fish. Caught 1 bonito which was great bottom bait.

Cheers.

Hi billfisher,

You said that so casually, "are you sure they were kings". I have a Lowrance colour sounder, all the fish around the peak tend to show as big solid bait balls with the occasional arch.

I went out today, second attempt at jigging for kings. First attempt - 7 hours of back breaking work, today 3 hours.

Any tips would be fantastic. Even if they are not at the Peak now, hypothetically, how would kings look on a colour sounder?

Would like to learn more specifics about the Peak so I don't have to keep explaining to the :wife: why I fall asleep exhausted at 8pm and don't have any fish to show for it ;)

Kings will give a stronger signal than smaller fish. There are usually strong shows of fish on the sounder at the Peak but these can be small fish like leatherjackets, pinkies etc. Stronger signals from larger fish are assigned a different colur on a colour sounder, eg yellow. Smaller fish will show up blue, black for example. That's why I asked if he had a colour sounder.

PS: If your not getting any hits after hours of jigging this is also a hint they aren't kingies.

what gear were u using and what size jigs and weights

if your marking fish and you are pretty sure they are kings but they are not reacting to your jigs

try changing jigs to a diffrent colour and size

change your jigging action change your jigging speed

best way to sound out kings is to first be in a area that kings are likely to be in

and then sound out bait if the bait is balled up chances are there are kings in the area feeding on them

you really need to learn how to read your sounder so you can tell the difference between schools of bait fish and schools of jackets and schools of kings the only real way to learn how to do that is spend the time on the water or fish with some one with the same sounder

It wasn't a total waste of time out at the peak. Starting creating a map of the area. The bait seemed to be spread over a very large area to the north of the pinnacle that rises up to 58m. There were no "strong" signals on the sounder so must not have been many kings about. Also good point about the bait being balled up if they are about and feeding.

Here is a view of the peak looking West.

post-3761-127949827567_thumb.png

It wasn't a total waste of time out at the peak. Starting creating a map of the area. The bait seemed to be spread over a very large area to the north of the pinnacle that rises up to 58m. There were no "strong" signals on the sounder so must not have been many kings about. Also good point about the bait being balled up if they are about and feeding.

Here is a view of the peak looking West.

that looks pretty hi-tec and will be very use full when completed

do u mind if i ask how u got that image my guess some sorta expensive sounder or a feature on the sounder

fisherboy

i was at the peak on sat with my mate spongy in his Savage.

Only thing we caught on a jig all day was a barracoutta ... which was on the first drop ... and we ended up losing it boatside due to tangles .. lol

We did end up with 3 kings from there for the day, but they were all undersize (50, 55 and 63) and caught on live slimey or yakka.

i was at the peak on sat with my mate spongy in his Savage.

Only thing we caught on a jig all day was a barracoutta ... which was on the first drop ... and we ended up losing it boatside due to tangles .. lol

We did end up with 3 kings from there for the day, but they were all undersize (50, 55 and 63) and caught on live slimey or yakka.

We probably drifted past each other. We were in the Haines Hunter 5.2 and left around 9am. There were a few boats turning up and setting up a drift near the big white charter boat.

At least you got a few kings. Where did you pickup your livebait if you don't mind saying?

hi guys,

was out there as well

went passed the peak but decided to troll to the plonk hole...no luck there

tried to bottom bash but the swell...which was predicted to be smaller...was annoying and uncomfortable

lost some rigs to the leatherjackets ...hate that!!

decided to come back towards the light house at kurnell...now that was a better option

didnt get the kingies or tuna we were after, but got some nice flatties and whopper of a morwong

overall, was not too bad of a day...the swell out wide was annoying, but you expect that!!

Yes the swell was a mess! It was coming from 3 different directions and building. Looking out to sea in the afternoon and it looked dead calm. No one believed me the Peak was lumpy and windy. Turned into a beautiful afternoon but I was off the water early.