Patonga Creek/beach

lukedfluke

Hey fellas, just came back from my holiday yesterday as my dad rented a nice place up in Patonga Creek near the mangroves for a week. It was a great spot but the house was quite rustic, with no tv, no reception, outside showers, a rota-loo, dodgy power and boat access only. The creek was quite tidal dependent so it was quite amusing but scary to try and get our 5.5m boat in and out of the creek but we managed to scrape through in the end.

I arrived there at about 3pm friday evening and there was still a bit of light left in the day so i decided to hop on the properties canoe and explore the creek and try and find some fresh for saturdays session. With the great fishing it wasn't too long until i berleyed up a nice school of liittle poddies and filled up my bucket with about five of the in quick succession. We somehow managed to keep the poddies alive overnight by using a bucket and putting a strainer on top of it and a weight on the strainer to keep the strainer on the bucket and dropped it over the jetty and in the water overnight.

Surprisingly in the morning i woke up earlier than the rest and found the poddies live and well in the bucket. Everyone was sound asleep so i left the poddies in the water and went for a flick in the canoe up stream with my new blades. It was a great are and very scenic in that area, which was made even better when i managed my first flathead on a blade going at 41cm. I was very happy with my solo catch and i took it home to have it for dinner later on that night.

When i arrived back at home my dad and i got ready to take the bigger boat out of the creek. we headed out but didn't go too far, stopping at patonga beach for a couple of drifts armed with livies and lures. After i deploy the baits to the bottom my dad says "so i guess we'll be hoping for a nice jewie on the live mullet ay?" and i say "no, not really.. more like a nice flatty for dinner" and he goes "pffft theres no way a flatty would eat a mullet of that size" then right on cue my reel sings that pleasant song ZZZZZZZ "are you sure about that dad!?" and within a couple of minutes we boated a healthy 52cm flatty with a poddy lodged down his gob. High fives all round as we new now that no one was going to sleep hungry!

We re-rig and send our baits back down and drift for another 30 minutes til one of the tips of my livie rods start bouncing up and down unusually. I decide to bring it in and check the comotion and find that a nice squid was holding on to my livie all the way up to the boat and we manage to net it to add it to our now deliciously promising dinner account, we manage to bag bag another 3 similar sized squid in similar fashion as the first one to make our night even more of a feast. We decide to head back early as we had enough for dinner. But it was still quite early as i got home and i decided to go for a quick spin in the creek and manage to pull up a nice little 38cm flatty on a worm plastic although his bottom jaw seem to be demented or broken in two pieces which was a quite a sight.

Anyway we ate like kings that night and managed to get home early enough yesterday to watch the chooks beat to dogs! WOO GO ROOSTERS! Had a great time in Patonga and will be returning there in the future! Just happy to use a real shower and toilet for the time being!

Tight lines everyone!

post-12335-127949647094_thumb.jpg

Nice work mate, them inkers look darn tasty :beersmile:

Patonga is a top place to fish esp. in the river, seen a few big bream taken from the back of the camping grounds when I was a little tacker on nippers and soldier crabs (collected from the flats).

Well done mate, top catch :thumbup:

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

Nice work mate, them inkers look darn tasty :beersmile:

Patonga is a top place to fish esp. in the river, seen a few big bream taken from the back of the camping grounds when I was a little tacker on nippers and soldier crabs (collected from the flats).

Well done mate, top catch :thumbup:

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

hahaha thanks mate, those inkers certainly did go down nicely!:D patonga is a great location and i've camped there before with an afl camp... unfortunately back then i never knew how good of a fishing spot it is! will certainly be visiting it more often now!

well done lines nice catch.go up that way myself afew weeks of the year camping great spot.did u see the little fire boats shed and warf,a mates dad fishes for blackies off it and does quit well.one went nearly 1.5kg.dont tell anyone....

that's reaaly weird because i saw an old man fishing for blackies off a wharf in the creek! it just might have been that man!

Great report, Tight Lines. :thumbup:

Sounds like you had a top weekend. Next time you're there, flick plastics around in the creek shallows out the front of the caravan park too... a lot of flatties lie up and feed in the dips and drop offs through there on a falling tide.

The meal you had would have been all the more delicious for having caught it yourself.

Cheers, Slinky

Top 1fishing1.gif report enjoyed reading about your fishing adventure. I've fished there a couple of times for some nice bream around the oyster leases. Never caught any squid there looking at the ones you caught I'll have to give them ago.thumbup.gif

Regards Jeff