Bate Bay

Yowie

Trolled early this morning off Jibbon for 3 tailor on pilchards, then after sun-up, drifted for 7 flathead. Not big flatties, up to 44cm, probably threw back double that just under the size limit.

Also managed a chunky red rock cod. The fillets are about a quarter of the fish's weight, due to the big bony head, however, they are very good eating.

Just as I was packing up to go home, an albatross parked itself beside the boat, and I fed it the small fish fillets and cuttle fish that I had left for bait. The belly flap of a big cuttle that was floating in the water.

Yowie.

That's a good feed for a morning fishing Yowie. :thumbup:

I too like rock cod, if as you say, you get one big enough to get some decent fillets.

I've noticed lately that Bate Bay is full of undersize flatties. It's probably a good sign for the future, but it get a bit frustrating throwing back four or five for every one you keep.

Do you smoke the tailor?

Cheers

Peter

That's a good feed for a morning fishing Yowie. :thumbup:

I too like rock cod, if as you say, you get one big enough to get some decent fillets.

I've noticed lately that Bate Bay is full of undersize flatties. It's probably a good sign for the future, but it get a bit frustrating throwing back four or five for every one you keep.

Do you smoke the tailor?

Cheers

Peter

Normally fillet the tailor, and pan fry with a breadcrumb coating, sometimes straight onto the BBQ after a soaking in fresh lime juice. Fresh tailor fillets are one of my favourites, though some people only consider them as bait.

The flathead out there are blue spot flatties, only managed a couple of the small spikies which are normally in large numbers and are too small to eat. Only lost a couple of baits to jackets, which are normally prevalent this time of year.

hey yowie, have you given up fishing the river in winter? Its been a struggle to get a feed lately though the fish are still there.

was going fishing on Monday, saw that the wind would be light during the morning and the swell would be low, so decided to try outside for a change. Was expecting the bloody jackets to be about out there, but only lost 2 lots of baits without feeling any bites. At one stage, the wind dropped right off. I was amongst a school of just undersize flatties, as everytime I hit the bottom, it was 1 or 2 at a time, so I decided it was time to head home. Of the bigger ones I kept, they were all females and some with fat roes, so it must be the start of the breeding season for the blue spotted flatties.

What have you caught lately?

Last week I picked up a flattie and 2 whiting drifting in the channel. I waded the bank in the channel at a dead low tide, and almost trod on a flattie 55 to 60cm long that was sitting in ankle deep water.