Large Harbour Squid N Cuttle Landbased

stefan

finished uni n decided to have a flick for squid. was afternoon and hadnt been catching any at night the days before so wasnt expecting much. 30 mins in i see a huge cuttle follow up my tiny 2.5 jig.... oh no.... kept taking pics of it while it was in the water cos i thought i had no chance trying to get it up on the rocks with no net and only 4lb line.... manged to wedge it inbetween sum rocks and got it over.... tried to let it go but my jig was all bent and stuck in it and it took me 10 minutes or so to get it out so i felt i had no choice but to keep it. 1st cast after i hooked what i thought was another large cuttle by the way it was fighting.... turned out to be a yummy squid....large one too... yay!

need sum help dudes... deciding what to do.. definitely gonna keep some for a jewfish sess on the weekend but as these r so large mayb evn the tentacles n guts wud do. wats the deal with eating/cooking cuttlefish? is preparation the same as a squid? definitely having salt n pepper calamari tho...

also saw a rather large blue groper follow up the cuttlefish i was bringing in... i know its gonna b in the same place tomoro and iknow wat it wud definitely eat... wats the rules with catching them/their table quality?

cheers

stefan

post-12572-127952654994_thumb.gif

Hi Stefan, keep the candles and body, clean and skin them, mix crumbs, chillie, lemon and pepper mix together, roll the flesh through them and fry them, you can also have it as salt n pepper squid, def nice.

Edited by Groper

nice inker & cuutly Stefan, on the blue groper side of things, I caught 2 of these 2 weeks ago (wasn't sure what they were so let them go) but the guys on this forum identified them for me, I then looked them up on fisheries website, from what I could find they must be between 30cm-60 cm to keep & are supposed to be great eating, however it then went on to say they were the NSW state emblem for fishes which made me feel glad to let them go. If they were the Maroon state emblem I might have second thoughts.