Jewfish Spots Near Rosebay

stefan

im in the rosebay area and got some local squidding spots nailed along with sum spinning spots from the coast... i already know of diamond bay and the chance of getting one from the watsons bay wharf...also gave near shark island a go but no luck... any1 know any other spots close to rosebay where 1 cud get a jewfish? anything west of the harbour or further than clifton is considered far lol... even better would be a shore based spot....where i cud drive when i feel like it.... atm all im going with is watsons... so far the sites search feature is proving fruitless :(

G'day stefan,

You'll have to understand that while fishos and fishraiders can be very generous with information, you're not likely to have replies in any forum giving you specific spots to catch jewfish. I'm sure if you asked for pointers to the kinds of areas or some general areas to go you might get a better response.

Fishraider encourages sharing of information and we actively police against 'misdirection' or sneakiness BUT think about how you might feel if you posted the specific details of your best spot on a public forum and next time went there to find 30 other fishos.

If you're using the search feature, you won't find gps marks for jewies but I'll guarantee you'll find common areas where people go (hawkesbury, Georges River, Middle Harbour to name a few)... And Jewies aren't an armchair fish. You may need to be willing to go where they are rather than expecting to find hot spots close to home.

Cheers, Slinky

Someones keen!!!! :074:

Do your self a little favour mate and go up to the top of this forum and you will find a heading ''Jewfish Tactics Lets Share'' Grab a coldie or 6 out of the fridge and have a good read.... There is some fantastic information provided for all to see, drop a message to people that fish that area and im sure they will guide you in the right direction, or maybe tee up a fish with one of them and learn the ropes.

Mick

Keep trying around Shark Island,

A mate of mine who has an office at one of the marinas in Rose bay, and features in some fishing mags, and

had a fishing and cooking show on foxtel with his brother in law Pete Evans, has caught

several Jew over the last couple of years around the island early in the morn.

cheers

im in the rosebay area and got some local squidding spots nailed along with sum spinning spots from the coast... i already know of diamond bay and the chance of getting one from the watsons bay wharf...also gave near shark island a go but no luck... any1 know any other spots close to rosebay where 1 cud get a jewfish? anything west of the harbour or further than clifton is considered far lol... even better would be a shore based spot....where i cud drive when i feel like it.... atm all im going with is watsons... so far the sites search feature is proving fruitless :(

Oh bugger it stefan I dont mind giving up my spot.......try Doyles at watsons it works for me, but dont tell anyone... :thumbup:

Joking Joking Joking, if I knew I would tell you, & I dont think anyone else really knows for sure either

cheers dudes...im finding the same people are replying to my posts no matter where i put them which is awesome and shows that you guys are the ones that really keep this forum alive. I have virtually memorised the jewfish tactics thing (to the point its printed haha) and i definitely know what to look for but its just nice to know im not fishing in a completely blind area where its been unheard of to catch jewfish. shark island always looked the go for me... gonna put some more time into it and really suss it out... thats all i needed to know.

i guess to a certain extent i also like to keep my spots a secret however at the same time...to a point i find it similar to kingfish fishing... u can give someone a spot but u know its not gonna be outfished unless they fish to the same quality as you.. i.e. knowing the tides, time, pressure, moon, baits like fresh squid etc and if they are good enough to know that information and catch the squid then i have a certain level of appreciation of the effort they put in. if its a matter of room then thats a way different story. i guess thats why we give general areas... most experienced fisherman are gonna know where to look anyways :) thats my 2 cents but definitely not necessarily the right view.

• 9 years later...
11 minutes ago, Jpatane said:

Hi Stefan,

I was out last night fishing your way without any success for squid. Are you able to provide some pointers on where abouts in Rose bay I should.l be trying?

Stefan last visited this site on February 22, 2016 so I doubt he will be watching this thread from 2010.

Still you could send him a PM & he may get back to you??

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 2

Jewies are much like any other large fish, find bait and you will find them in river and estuary systems. Jewies will feed on anything from worms to salmon so matching the hatch is handy.

I look for deep drop offs. I have a little tributary to the shoalhaven which has an awesome 9m drop off at the mouth of the tributary. The tributary holds heaps of mullet, blackfish, bream etc and is only about 5m wide and 2ms deep. On the run out these fish all get flushed out and tend to hold in the deep hole looking to get back into the creek. That's like ringing a dinenr bell for jews.

Jew's tend to be lazy and will sit out of the current so eddies behind rock walls etc can be productive when the tide is running hard