Botany Bay 25Th July

Keflapod

Hey Raiders,

Long time no post for me so I thought I'd better chip in with a report for a change.

I haven't been out in a few weeks so I got myself into gear on Sunday morning for a bream or two. The fridge was looking nearly bare and the relos told me they were firing up the barbie on Sunday at lunchtime and all they needed was something to put on it.

I suggested they put some sausages on it, and us being Greeks, they didn't think that was funny at all ! They gave me the 'look-of-death' - kind of like the look you get when you tell your missus that you want to buy some proper jigging gear....

Perhaps I should have suggested to the relos that they put eachother on the barbie - they would have at least laughed at that...

So I got my marching orders to the bay.

I arrived at the spot at 7:30am - nice and late and ready for an argument or two with other unthinking boaties driving circles around me as usual, but surprise surprise, I had the spot to myself.

How bizarre - a lovely Sunday morning and no-one there......well not YET !

I proceeded to catch a few nice bream when I swear I could hear all of Botany Bay come zooming over like it was the ocean speedboat races happening.

I barely caught another fish when I was inundated with boats - sinkers and lures whistled overhead like there was a war - well maybe I exaggerated a little but it got very busy very quick - like someone was watching with binoculars or something.

Oh well, by that time I finished up, I got 8 nice bream and a trevor. I was not really in the mood to argue so I let them do that amongst themselves and I actually enjoyed the day.

I relaxed and listened to the charter operators talking over the radio - they weren't having a good day at all looking for kingies, reds, flatties and even reef fish. So for those of you who got out offshore and scored some decent reefies - you did well.

The wind began from the west, then turned SW, then south, then southeast.

Just a little tip for you guys regarding bream fishing. In the winter, the bream like a more substantial bait rather than the usual worm / nipper baits. Try pilchard, peeled prawns and even squid if you dare using it for anything other than food or kingie/jewie bait. These baits are more substantial and fatty for the fish.

As I headed home, it was nice to see a pod of dolphins around Towra, heading out to sea with the runout tide. It capped off a really nice winter's day. They were just too fast for me and my camera so I couldn't get them. Anyway, a shot of the fish will have to do....before they got decimated by the relos....

post-3021-128015371624_thumb.jpg

Top report and great read Kefthumbup.gif

Bet you were disappointed when you received your marching orders to hit the bay074.gif

Sounds like you had a ripper of a day and I bet the relos were pleased with your catch. How big was the Bream at the top, It looks huge1yikes.gif

Thanks for the tips. Are there any good spots you can share for the Bay at the momentbiggrin2.gif Did you have a go with any lures while you were out there or any other trips?

Isn't it great when you can see mother nature at her best, it's a shame you didn't have the camera ready for the dolphins. I was lucky enough to be out towards the oil wharf when I came across a lonely seal chilling in the bay.

beersmile.gifBrad

post-10582-128015830046_thumb.jpg

post-10582-128015809109_thumb.jpg.JPG]

Edited by The ACIMA

Guest Scotty Lyons

Welcome to my world as it seem each time I find a litle spot out of the way and we start catching a few I have boats motoring in for a look or to anchor, but that my fault I painted the bloody thing green.

Mate great catch of Bream for winter, yes the Bay is fishing well, I head off shore on Sunday and we did not to bad with a good mixed bag, catch you soon.

Regards Scoty Lyons

Great report mate. You provided a feed of fish for the family ... and a 'go to' spot for all the freeloaders! :biggrin2:

Those fish appear to be in very good condition. Congrats on a great morning on the water :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

A few answers:

ACIMA,

The bream a t the top is early 40's - can't remember exactly.

Spots for the bay in the winter that are sure-fire producers are rare in my database of knowledge.

I'm sure there are a fair few spots but I only know one spot and it never lets me down (unless the ski boat races happen next to me).

So if I was to divulge the details, it would be akin to having the relos hurl abuse at me while they are still alive.

In fact, it would be EXACTLY THE SAME as having the relos hurl abuse at me while they are still alive....

So all I can do is give some pointers as to strategy, baits and techniques.

I rarely fish with lures as I get plenty on baits and I enjoy the laid-back nature of bait fishing.

By the way, you must have burlied up that seal - it just posed for you didn't it?

Cungee George,

That yahoo mob in the georges would have pushed your blood pressure thru the roof, knowing how hard it is to get all the jewie variables right, then have that rabble ruin the night...

Lets hope guys like that never make it to parliament house !

G'day Scotty,

I see you out there a lot - especially from about 5km away - the green-ness of your boat colour-scheme can even penetrate fog.

But you must have a bright colour scheme to stand out for your next customers.

If you went outside and you got some reef fish, you did better than the 4 or 5 charter boats to which I was listening.

One boat that got to the peak first scored doughnuts...I reckon it's the full moon - it's only ever good for ocean jews and pelagics.

The kingies seem to school up somewhere and you either get a bonanza or you get none.

The demersal species seem to go off the bite or in hiding...that's my experience...

Hey Dawg,

It's so hard to measure the fish while the relos are choosing which ones they will eat....

They have no fear of spines or gill covers, in their enthusiasm to get to the biggest fish first....

Smallest fish was around 30, biggest was 42ish I think...

You know I wish some of the summer veterans would go for a fish in the winter and see if they can find a feed.

I only have the 1 spot and if it ever failed of got seriously worked out, I would have to go offshore.....or to the markets...

Where is Jim Bream? What about Sizzleboat? There are a few others as well who know their bream stuff - it would be nice to hear from them in the winter...

Perhaps find out for sure if there are other spots like this one for bream'n'whiting...

We are never too old or too good to learn something new, in fact last summer I was shown a top bream spot, different baits and techniques - even better than my old spots....like I keep saying, bring on the summer.

Edited by Keflapod

Hey Raiders,

Long time no post for me so I thought I'd better chip in with a report for a change.

I haven't been out in a few weeks so I got myself into gear on Sunday morning for a bream or two. The fridge was looking nearly bare and the relos told me they were firing up the barbie on Sunday at lunchtime and all they needed was something to put on it.

I suggested they put some sausages on it, and us being Greeks, they didn't think that was funny at all ! They gave me the 'look-of-death' - kind of like the look you get when you tell your missus that you want to buy some proper jigging gear....

Perhaps I should have suggested to the relos that they put eachother on the barbie - they would have at least laughed at that...

So I got my marching orders to the bay.

I arrived at the spot at 7:30am - nice and late and ready for an argument or two with other unthinking boaties driving circles around me as usual, but surprise surprise, I had the spot to myself.

How bizarre - a lovely Sunday morning and no-one there......well not YET !

I proceeded to catch a few nice bream when I swear I could hear all of Botany Bay come zooming over like it was the ocean speedboat races happening.

I barely caught another fish when I was inundated with boats - sinkers and lures whistled overhead like there was a war - well maybe I exaggerated a little but it got very busy very quick - like someone was watching with binoculars or something.

Oh well, by that time I finished up, I got 8 nice bream and a trevor. I was not really in the mood to argue so I let them do that amongst themselves and I actually enjoyed the day.

I relaxed and listened to the charter operators talking over the radio - they weren't having a good day at all looking for kingies, reds, flatties and even reef fish. So for those of you who got out offshore and scored some decent reefies - you did well.

The wind began from the west, then turned SW, then south, then southeast.

Just a little tip for you guys regarding bream fishing. In the winter, the bream like a more substantial bait rather than the usual worm / nipper baits. Try pilchard, peeled prawns and even squid if you dare using it for anything other than food or kingie/jewie bait. These baits are more substantial and fatty for the fish.

As I headed home, it was nice to see a pod of dolphins around Towra, heading out to sea with the runout tide. It capped off a really nice winter's day. They were just too fast for me and my camera so I couldn't get them. Anyway, a shot of the fish will have to do....before they got decimated by the relos....

Hi there -

Nice catch you have there - well done mate!

I actually saw the pod of dolphins you mentioned on Sunday... they were right up against the 3rd runway - amazing sight.

I just managed to get a few photos where you can just see them-

post-10545-128021324384_thumb.jpg

post-10545-128021325396_thumb.jpg

Cheers

DHYPE

Sorry Tony , i have been up at south west rocks for a few weeks , i will fish the bay for you soon lol

Ah Mr Funny,

Would you please fish the bay for me?

I'm having so much trouble. :074:

I know you can catch fish in a bathtub so when you give me your GPS marks for the spot, it better not actually BE your bathtub....

Seriously though, if you do have some winter ideas based on your many years experience in the bay, I would like to hear them. I really need some fallback options because those relos of mine are getting quite scary....

Edited by Keflapod

Hi Tony how are you good to see you got a good catch this time of the year the bream have being hanging around forever it seems with good reports from the Harbor to Port Hacking interesting it will be if the the bream will be late coming this summer i don't usually pay attention to these things but recently im looking at every thing i don't no if its the older i get or i have nothing better to do i cant wait for summer to hit the water at the moment its to cold for me. cheers Jim Bream

Hi Tony how are you good to see you got a good catch this time of the year the bream have being hanging around forever it seems with good reports from the Harbor to Port Hacking interesting it will be if the the bream will be late coming this summer i don't usually pay attention to these things but recently im looking at every thing i don't no if its the older i get or i have nothing better to do i cant wait for summer to hit the water at the moment its to cold for me. cheers Jim Bream

TOO COLD YOU WOOS :tease::074:

Yiasoo Jimmy.

The bream that are being caught at the moment must be the resident fish.

And - they are not being caught in the spots that produce in the summer.

And - they are being caught on different baits so it's a different ball game.

Yes it's pretty cold but we can fix that with lots of clothes.

It helps if the boat has a cabin that can act as a windbreak - else you get brainfreeze just getting to the spot....

I'm 45'ish but my biggest incentive to go in the cold is that if I stay home, the wife will ask me to do chores - (wash the mattresses, vacuum the ceiling and mop the roof tiles... :thumbdown:

As for the fish arriving late this summer - it's anybody's guess really but I expect around september the summer spots will start to hold fish again - it depends on how long it take the bay to reach 18 degrees or so....

Yiasoo Jimmy.

The bream that are being caught at the moment must be the resident fish.

And - they are not being caught in the spots that produce in the summer.

And - they are being caught on different baits so it's a different ball game.

Yes it's pretty cold but we can fix that with lots of clothes.

It helps if the boat has a cabin that can act as a windbreak - else you get brainfreeze just getting to the spot....

I'm 45'ish but my biggest incentive to go in the cold is that if I stay home, the wife will ask me to do chores - (wash the mattresses, vacuum the ceiling and mop the roof tiles... :thumbdown:

As for the fish arriving late this summer - it's anybody's guess really but I expect around september the summer spots will start to hold fish again - it depends on how long it take the bay to reach 18 degrees or so....

Hi Tony you say resident fish personally i have to disagree think the only resident bream would be the black bream unless the bream in the picture are black bream hard to tell. The bream come in from the sea and go back out. when the season starts they return just a normal cycle the bream change their pattern just before winter and are found around the mouth of the rivers the lower reaches of Botany bay and again about mid winter changes again you will find them higher up the bay or out side the bay you have to pay attention to these thing to understand the fish are there but just need to be found i don't fish winter but i like to read as much to understand the way they move around during different months of the year the problem with some fishos they stick to one spot and dot move any way there my thoughts cheers Jim bream

Hi Tony you say resident fish personally i have to disagree think the only resident bream would be the black bream unless the bream in the picture are black bream hard to tell. The bream come in from the sea and go back out. when the season starts they return just a normal cycle the bream change their pattern just before winter and are found around the mouth of the rivers the lower reaches of Botany bay and again about mid winter changes again you will find them higher up the bay or out side the bay you have to pay attention to these thing to understand the fish are there but just need to be found i don't fish winter but i like to read as much to understand the way they move around during different months of the year the problem with some fishos they stick to one spot and dot move any way there my thoughts cheers Jim bream

Hi Jimmy,

These debates are great, aren't they? It allows us to exchange information based on years of experience. I know one guy who catches a fair few bream in the winter further upstream than Como bridge (he won't say how far up). He fished last week and in 2.5 hours got 7 bream and two elbow slappers, then had to get home because a southerly blew his boat off the water. His experience over 30+ years is when the water temp falls below 18 degrees in the bay, the fish go upriver as the bay dies off. He got these fish at the same time I got mine...what does this tell us? Perhaps some bream go upstream while others go to sea as you suggested. Can we draw any conclusion? Yes. They must be separate bream populations or perhaps no hard rule applies. The fish obviously look for something over the cooler months. I reckon it's structure where there's barnacles, weed, oysters, growth, etc so there would be worms, crabs, etc for them to eat, in a water temp that won't freeze them...

If only we could do what Dr Dolittle can do - talk to them......