The New Rig:)

dat111

hey everybody,

this is my new boat a 4.6m coast craft, i sold my little fibreglass for 300 dollars,and added an extra 100 and brought my self a trailer and my cousin gave me his boat,as he has no more time to use it anymore.

shes going to get cleaned first off

next thing im looking to do is put the steering in(any pointers?)

put the middle piece into the window of the wind screen and then get seats,fish finder, and finally a donk.

and a licence

questions:

what sort of HP should i look to put on her?

how do i attatch the steering?

how do i screw the wind screen in as there is no holes where it was prevoisly screwed in

where can i get a middle panel for my windscreen from?

would she beable to go out over to pittwater on a calm day?

and where can i get a licence from around here(woy woy,gosford area)

post-8665-128038942869_thumb.jpg

post-8665-128038944078_thumb.jpg

post-8665-128038950925_thumb.jpg

post-8665-128038952383_thumb.jpg

Edited by dat111

Hard to say without looking at the compliance plate. If it still has one, it should state maximum Hp of engine for that particular hull. not factoring the age or condition of the hull itself. It would be hard to assume that that capacity could be met. you have to figure other factors such as state of transom (any flex??). HP rating specified would probably be based on the older type of motors whereby the HP was measured at the flywheel and not the prop like current outboards. that said, if say 85hp was max then i would figure that a current model 70hp would be equivalent to do the job... you probably should take it to a marine mechanic/service centre and get their opinion first prior to trying to fit something that may not suit your boat or cause you problems later on.

have a look around the splashwell in front of where the motor would be. it may be that it has been taken off or perhpas even perished. there are various ways to test the transom for softness/flex. some are by soundings on the transom (dull thud indicates soft) or by pressing downwards on a motor in its raised (towing )position. given that no motor is currently on the boat the later is not an option. again i suggest you have the boat inspected prior to fitting an outboard. i will leave that decision up to you as to where you go from thereon.

i rang my cousin and he rang the orginal owner and said he that there was a blue band merc 40 on it that was the orgingal motor,

so im assuming the 40hp will be fine?

also im gunna test the tranny 2day smacking it looking for a dull sound,

also no compliece plate,so im going by word of mouth.

thinks bisso your a legend mate

Edited by dat111

hi mate,tuggrah lakes is a fair way from where i am,

also the boat is only 13.9ft, so id say a 40hp would suit it fine,

also my dad and i are debating that what sort seats we need up the front also 1 long one near the splash well at the back of the boat any help with that

also what is the splash well for?

you stated in your original post that boat was 4.6m long. this is a tad over 15ft in the old measure.

if it is 13.9ft as later stated you boat is 4.2m.

assuming the later is correct (check your vessel rego papers for length) you are probably on track in assuming a 40hp is the max for your boat. i had a 4.4m fibreglass boat and it was rated to a max of 55hp.

Regarding your licence, ring the NSW maritime office in Gosford and ask them where they hold their training courses. i think from memory Gosford Sailing Club holds them. However, you may find there are some held around Woy Woy way.

in relation to your query on seating, i would probably not screw pedestals into your floor. if you are a bit handy, get some CD exterior plywood, buy a fold down seating kit from Bias. (the mount on the sides of the boat so you can fold them down when not in use). the ply can be used to fabricate a long back seat at the rear to which you can attach to the splashwell.

Cheers.

Edited by bisso

just a bit unfimlmar with the seating kit your talking about as i looked thought the book (spring edition) i cant seem to find it,do you have a link at all thanks.

i have a piece of ply down stairs ill go measure it and take some photos of the back of the splash well thanks

Edited by dat111

the first pic is the piece of marine ply its to short by 250mmm

2nd is the with of my boat from infront of the splash well,

3rd is were im assuming were a rear seat was before as there is old rusted screw holes in there,i did a fail attempt of outlining them with my laptop.

also what about the front 2 seats?

post-8665-128064873291_thumb.jpg

post-8665-128064875966_thumb.jpg

post-8665-128064886775_thumb.jpg

Edited by dat111

just a bit unfimlmar with the seating kit your talking about as i looked thought the book (spring edition) i cant seem to find it,do you have a link at all thanks.

i have a piece of ply down stairs ill go measure it and take some photos of the back of the splash well thanks

See http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-85-seat-u-frame.aspx (hope i am allowed to post link without copyright issues) this will give you the general idea as to what i was referring too. i note from your photos that seat pods are already in place for the front. you may want to test how solid they still are for mounting if you decide to go with pedestals. it appears that a rear seat could be made to fit the existing anchoring points shown in your latter photos. just need to get appropriate hardware to fit it all together and accordingly manufacture the seat to suit.

for your steering, you will need a helm, wheel and cable (Teleflex type). easy to fit up just make sure you buy the right size cable to suit your hull. again the catalogue explains how to measure etc.

just think it all through before you go for it... draw up some concept plans so you get an idea of what you are trying to end up with.. finally look at other boats and their layouts to give you ideas.

good luck with it. i had to go down a similar path as you are currently experiencing... (only took me two years to get it right)!!!!

Edited by bisso

another problem,

along the keel its been carboged and then fibreglassed,

will that have serfience strength to withstand knocks or would you sand it back and then take out the bog and replace it with something of anple fasion?

thanks dat.

Edited by dat111

go any pics of it?

i would think that car bog is not really suffice for a marine environment.

you might get away with it for a while until it starts absorbing the salt water which may rot the timber beneath the gellcoat. that is a major job to repair and rather costly too.

if you can nip it in the bud now before to much damage occurs, i would be seriously looking at doing that.

do it once, do it right. thats my motto.

Cheers

Without looking at it properly, it appears that the brown stains are from water damage!! i note that some reglassing over the repairs has been done which would help however if there are any porous spots then water will be absorded through this. does it flex at all when you squeeze it? or is there a dull thud when you knock it? if so then it would be stuffed already. if not, you might be lucky and hopefully get it fixed before it goes into the timber structure of the hull itself. the problem with most repairs are that unless it is done correctly the first time, problems often occur later, or more often once the owner has passed the boat on to another party. i cannot advise as to what you should do with it and it would be advosed to get a qualified marine surveyor to check it out properly (for a fee of course) to ascertain the extent of damage if any and what can be done to rectify/retain the hull integrity. welcome to the world of boat ownership! you need a big thick wallet with loads of spare cash else pretty handy on the tools to do the job yourself. like you, i started out with a very cheap boat package that ended up costing me more to fix than buying a dearer one upfront that had no problems.. i now only look at boats which arent going to spend most of my time and hard earned fixing them up as after all, when you sell them they still are old, tired and basically at the end of their life... for your sake, i hope the damage is minimal if any and you get to use her on for what was intended.... boating and floating without hassell.

Cheers

had a bloke who a fibreglasser come here,he said that we need a new transom:),

so time to cut it out,i got him to line it out

but then what am i guanna need? any help thanks

Dat,look at the link I posted this morning-it explains this in illustrated detail.

gave a bloke a ring and he said hes going to help me:)

also bisso that brown thing is actually pink as we drilled a hole in it and pink putty was on the end of the drill piece and its all good:) so we fibreglased it back up and were gunna hit it with some white paint.

after the transom is done the next thing is getting the boat regoed and then a motor and we are ready to roll:)

gave a bloke a ring and he said hes going to help me:)

also bisso that brown thing is actually pink as we drilled a hole in it and pink putty was on the end of the drill piece and its all good:) so we fibreglased it back up and were gunna hit it with some white paint.

after the transom is done the next thing is getting the boat regoed and then a motor and we are ready to roll:)

Hi Dat1111,

Glad to hear is only superficial and not an issue... The transom is a job in itself but at least you have the possibility for a sound boat package that will give you the use you were looking for.

for your sake i am glad to hear and hope you get out on the water soon.

Regards